Installation directory option
Thread poster: Anil Gidwani

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:40
German to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

SDL Trados Studio 2009 starts off with a bang. It appears that the choice of installation directory has been done away with, and Studio 2009 installs straightaway onto the C: drive.

I wonder if I am missing something here.

There are some of us that prefer to leave the C: drive to the operating system exclusively, you know, SDL.

Is there a way to coerce the software to install on another drive such as D: or E:?

[Edited at 2009-10-08 11:37 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
French to Polish
+ ...
System drive Oct 8, 2009

Anil Gidwani wrote:

SDL Trados Studio 2009 starts off with a bang. It appears that the choice of installation directory has been done away with, and Studio 2009 installs straightaway onto the C: drive.

It's not so bad as it could have been done.
The setup program uses the system drive, so if your OS is installed on D:, Studio will land on D: (tested).

I wonder if I am missing something here.

There are some of us that prefer to leave the C: drive to the operating system exclusively, you know, SDL.

Is there a way to coerce the software to install on another drive such as D: or E:?

Just install your OS on D: or E:icon_smile.gif

Speaking seriously, only the system drive is permitted now.

Probably you can use an existing installation, copy the cached installer files into you new system and hack the config file i.e.:
C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLTradosStudio2009\TranslationStudio.Professional.Suite
I don't think it's worth your time.

Cheers
GG

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Retrograde Oct 8, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Speaking seriously, only the system drive is permitted now.

GG

That's a serious step backwards. I always leave my system drive alone for the OS and the page file to monopolize.

I'm already facing performance issues due to lack of space on my system drive after installing Trados and Multiterm.

Actually, it will have to be worth my while to move the installation to my other drives. Naturally, I'll have to hack away at changing registry entries.

Thanks, SDL, for making life easier!!

The least you can now do is to provide users a sequence of easy steps to move a Trados installation to another drive without messing up a system.

Can I request you to provide that?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Why we changed it. Oct 8, 2009

Hi Anil,

The main reasoning behind this decision is that we have followed Microsoft best practice. Installing into the Program Files folder is key and best practice for robust support and full compliance with Windows XP, Windows Vista (more so), and, moving forward, Windows 7. For more information, refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933700/en-us, for instance.

As to whether I can provide you with instructions to save you messing your system up.. I think the answer has to be no. If you do this it will be at your own risk.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but this is why we have done it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The computer literacy thing Oct 8, 2009

Hi Paul,
with all due respect, don't you think you could leave this up to the users of your product? I believe most translators are computer-literate enough to select the location where they wish a software product to install. You could provide them at least with an option to do so.

Installer scenario example
"Select Location" installation dialog box
Please select a location where SDL Trados Studio 2009 will be installed on your hard drive. We strongly recommend that you install SDL Trados Studio 2009 into the default location. However, if you are an expert, you can select a different location.

"Two radio buttons"
Select this radio button if you are not sure what to do.

- Custom
Select the "Custom" radio button if you are an expert and wish to install SDL Trados Studio 2009 into a different location.

If the user selects "Default", SDLTS 2009 will be installed into C...
If he/she selects "Custom", the "Browse" button in the bottom right corner of the dialog will become active. If the user clicks on that button, he/she will be prompted once again: "We strongly recommend that you install SDL Trados Studio 2009 into the default location. However, if you are an expert, please select a custom location".

I believe this could be a decent way of making users aware of the fact that you have your reasons to include the "Default" location option.

[Upraveno: 2009-10-08 20:37 GMT]

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure it is best practice Oct 9, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

The main reasoning behind this decision is that we have followed Microsoft best practice. Installing into the Program Files folder is key and best practice for robust support and full compliance with Windows XP, Windows Vista (more so), and, moving forward, Windows 7. For more information, refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933700/en-us, for instance.

Hi Paul,

Microsoft recommends that the location of the Program Files folder not be changed AND NOT that all user software be installed in the Program Files folder. There is a subtle difference between the two, in my opinion. Nowhere does it say or even imply that all user applications should be installed on the system drive. Isn't there a reason it is called the system drive?icon_smile.gif

If you are in fact saying that all user application software should be installed on the system drive, it flies in the face of user flexibility and system design, I am afraid.

Let me outline two reasons why I choose to install all application software on drives other than the system drive:

a. It allows the operating system to maximize its performance.

b. It allows an efficient backup/upgrade strategy. If the system crashes and the operating system needs to be re-installed, re-installation does not affect the remaining software which is installed on non-system drives. In fact, I have been able to re-install and get a system up and running WITHOUT HAVING to re-install any of my application software. You can appreciate the time savings, especially if a disaster occurs in the middle of a project.

Unfortunately, the new installation process for Trados Studio 2009 takes away this flexibility.

I can easily get around this limitation, to be honest, although it will take a few hours of my time (and will be worth it nevertheless). But is there any possibility a choice of installation directory can be re-introduced in SP1?

Elisabeth Lundberg-Karlsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
How did you do at last? Oct 19, 2011

Dear Anil and others,
I have found your article here because I find myself in the very same situation as you. But I am a late starter. I am about to install Trados Studio 2009 on my newly bought computer and I have dedicated a whole hard disk for programs to install, i e a separate hard disk than the one where the OS is installed. And now I want to install Studio on that hard disk, not on C:\.

I don't seem to find any information on this anywere and SDL is impossible to get in touch with in this matter unless I pay a support fee, and I fear that the only thing I will be paying for is to be informed that my wish is nothing that they can take into account.

So now I ask you what you did. And if you installed Studio in another place the C:\, I would be very grateful to get to know how you did, if it is possible for you to explain this for me. Is it impossible to explain, I would anyway be glad to hear if you did it or not, i e if it is possible at all.

Kind regards,,
Elisabeth

ORSZAGH Technologies
Cyprus
Local time: 05:10
Czech to Slovak
+ ...
Funduc App Mover Jul 1, 2013

Is one of the possible solutions.

Somil.Mishra  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Installation directory option Nov 24, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Anil,

As to whether I can provide you with instructions to save you messing your system up.. I think the answer has to be no. If you do this it will be at your own risk.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but this is why we have done it.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Despite of the best practice rationale, Microsoft provides "Change Installation Directory Option" in its Microsoft Office Suits (All Versions). But you are not giving any option, not even providing the tweak to change it.

If you ask, we are ready to give you a disclaimer that we would be responsible for the instability of our Systems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation directory option

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search