Termbase: Unsure of fields and indexes
Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Oct 10, 2009

I have recently installed SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 with MultiTerm, but am having some problems with creating the termbases the way I want them and need them to be.
All I want is a base which includes the English and Norwegian translation of a term. I have managed to convert an .xls file which includes just two columns: English and Norwegian. I have also created termbases using the converted file and can view them in SDL Multiterm, but the problem is to use them in SDL Trados.
I personally believe I have misunderstood how to setup, define, use etc fields and indexes.
Do I need to make a more complex spreadsheet? Can I not just use my two columns one? I thought I could based on another topic I read.
Please could someone share some light on the issue I may be having. I've been going through help documents, but none seem to cover what I am trying to achieve.

United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use in TRADOS - Termbase Search Oct 10, 2009

I seem to be getting somewhere.
I seem to be left with two problems:
1. Just be convertion and importing my spreadsheet into Multiterm I do not seem to be able to have a separate (flagged) entry for, and linked to the English entry, the Norwegian translation. I comes as a field under the English entry. I have to add it to the entry later on, within Multiterm.

2. (and also the main issue) I cannot get "Termbase Search" to correctly look-up in the termbase, no matter what I try it remains empty with "No results available". BUT if I bring up the Termbase Viewer, I can see my entries there, but am unable to transfer them into my translation.

Please help, I am really tearing my hair out here, and I am very certain there is some very simple procedure which I seem to be missing outicon_frown.gif

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:59
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Reorganize Termbase Oct 10, 2009

bamse73 wrote:

2. (and also the main issue) I cannot get "Termbase Search" to correctly look-up in the termbase, no matter what I try it remains empty with "No results available". BUT if I bring up the Termbase Viewer, I can see my entries there, but am unable to transfer them into my translation.

Please help, I am really tearing my hair out here, and I am very certain there is some very simple procedure which I seem to be missing outicon_frown.gif

Reorganize your termbase in MultiTerm and then you will be able to see the results in Studio. I hope one day SDL will abandon MultiTerm and develop a new terminology tool. I don't use Trados Suite or Studio mainly because of MultiTerm.

United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still stuck... Oct 10, 2009

Thank you, Selcuk, but this does not seem to make a difference.
I am starting to wonder if it has to do with Sublanguages. In the project I have English (American) -> Norwegian (Bokmal), the termbase is English -> Norwegian, although I seem to have everything cross-referenced correctly. But also to get both English and Norwegian as Indexes from the original Excel spreadsheet seems to be an issue, is this not possible? I can edit the Termbase and add the proper (indexed) Norwegian translation, but even then it does not appear in the Termbase Search ...

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:59
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Possible Oct 10, 2009

In that case I could only suggest you to create a new termbase with the same language pair used in the project (or create a new project with the language pair of your termbase).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase: Unsure of fields and indexes

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search