Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Oct 10, 2009

I have recently installed SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 with MultiTerm, but am having some problems with creating the termbases the way I want them and need them to be.
All I want is a base which includes the English and Norwegian translation of a term. I have managed to convert an .xls file which includes just two columns: English and Norwegian. I have also created termbases using the converted file and can view them in SDL Multiterm, but the problem is to use them in SDL Trados.
I perso
... See more
I have recently installed SDL TRADOS Studio 2009 with MultiTerm, but am having some problems with creating the termbases the way I want them and need them to be.
All I want is a base which includes the English and Norwegian translation of a term. I have managed to convert an .xls file which includes just two columns: English and Norwegian. I have also created termbases using the converted file and can view them in SDL Multiterm, but the problem is to use them in SDL Trados.
I personally believe I have misunderstood how to setup, define, use etc fields and indexes.
Do I need to make a more complex spreadsheet? Can I not just use my two columns one? I thought I could based on another topic I read.
Please could someone share some light on the issue I may be having. I've been going through help documents, but none seem to cover what I am trying to achieve.
Collapse

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use in TRADOS - Termbase Search Oct 10, 2009

I seem to be getting somewhere.
I seem to be left with two problems:
1. Just be convertion and importing my spreadsheet into Multiterm I do not seem to be able to have a separate (flagged) entry for, and linked to the English entry, the Norwegian translation. I comes as a field under the English entry. I have to add it to the entry later on, within Multiterm.

2. (and also the main issue) I cannot get "Termbase Search" to correctly look-up in the termbase, no matter what
... See more
I seem to be getting somewhere.
I seem to be left with two problems:
1. Just be convertion and importing my spreadsheet into Multiterm I do not seem to be able to have a separate (flagged) entry for, and linked to the English entry, the Norwegian translation. I comes as a field under the English entry. I have to add it to the entry later on, within Multiterm.

2. (and also the main issue) I cannot get "Termbase Search" to correctly look-up in the termbase, no matter what I try it remains empty with "No results available". BUT if I bring up the Termbase Viewer, I can see my entries there, but am unable to transfer them into my translation.

Please help, I am really tearing my hair out here, and I am very certain there is some very simple procedure which I seem to be missing out
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
Reorganize Termbase Oct 10, 2009

bamse73 wrote:

2. (and also the main issue) I cannot get "Termbase Search" to correctly look-up in the termbase, no matter what I try it remains empty with "No results available". BUT if I bring up the Termbase Viewer, I can see my entries there, but am unable to transfer them into my translation.

Please help, I am really tearing my hair out here, and I am very certain there is some very simple procedure which I seem to be missing out

Reorganize your termbase in MultiTerm and then you will be able to see the results in Studio. I hope one day SDL will abandon MultiTerm and develop a new terminology tool. I don't use Trados Suite or Studio mainly because of MultiTerm.

Kjersti Farrier
United Kingdom
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still stuck... Oct 10, 2009

Thank you, Selcuk, but this does not seem to make a difference.
I am starting to wonder if it has to do with Sublanguages. In the project I have English (American) -> Norwegian (Bokmal), the termbase is English -> Norwegian, although I seem to have everything cross-referenced correctly. But also to get both English and Norwegian as Indexes from the original Excel spreadsheet seems to be an issue, is this not possible? I can edit the Termbase and add the proper (indexed) Norwegian translati
... See more
Thank you, Selcuk, but this does not seem to make a difference.
I am starting to wonder if it has to do with Sublanguages. In the project I have English (American) -> Norwegian (Bokmal), the termbase is English -> Norwegian, although I seem to have everything cross-referenced correctly. But also to get both English and Norwegian as Indexes from the original Excel spreadsheet seems to be an issue, is this not possible? I can edit the Termbase and add the proper (indexed) Norwegian translation, but even then it does not appear in the Termbase Search ...
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
Possible Oct 10, 2009

In that case I could only suggest you to create a new termbase with the same language pair used in the project (or create a new project with the language pair of your termbase).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase: Unsure of fields and indexes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »