Converting PDF to Trados
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
French to English
Oct 10, 2009

Hello everyone

Does anyone know if a PDF file can be translated by Trados.
I was sent the article by a client. It appears in the Trados window as (PDF File), in the Editor window, but does not openthe article itself.

Jessie

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Studio 2009 imports PDF files Oct 10, 2009

Hello "Jessie08",

if you have Studio, you can import PDF files and translate directly in its editor. In case you have a previous version, you need to convert the PDF with an OCR first - provided the PDF is no image (images are not editable, therefore cannot be converted).

Giuliana

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:43
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
If true PDF, yes Oct 10, 2009

It seems that you are using Trados Studio 2009. You can translate pdf files with Studio if they are true pdf files, not images.

In case of true PDF files, Studio 2009 converts them to .doc format using Solid Converter.

But sometimes pdf files do not have any text, but only images. In that case you have to use an OCR program such as ABBYY FineReader or OmniPage to convert pdf files into word format.

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:43
Italian to English
+ ...
If you're not using 2009... Oct 10, 2009

You can use OpenOffice with Sun's PDF Import extension, then save as a DOC file.

I've not tried very complex PDF files, but the few that I have tried, import nicely.

R.
==

xxxKORKMAZTANER
Turkey
Why? Oct 10, 2009

Couldn't get an extra time from the outsourcer? It is known that Microsoft is enough to deliver a perfect text (and translation) if you wouldn't seek for one thousand pages to be translated by TRADOS, etc.
N.B.: Try asking the outsourcer to allow a little more time, or yourself to be a realistic translator
HTH

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Modern translators Oct 10, 2009

Dear "KORKMAZTANER"

Couldn't get an extra time from the outsourcer? It is known that Microsoft is enough to deliver a perfect text (and translation) if you wouldn't seek for one thousand pages to be translated by TRADOS, etc.
N.B.: Try asking the outsourcer to allow a little more time, or yourself to be a realistic translator
HTH

Apart from the fact that your posting is off-topic and on top of that it doesn't help solve the "problem" at hand, I don't quite follow you. If a translator has accepted a Trados job, it is within this translator's duties to do so.

Being realistic has nothing to do with not using a CAT or asking for a postponed deadline, quite the opposite

Giuliana

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Converting PDF to Word using Trados Oct 11, 2009

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply.
I have not made the attempt yet, but will do so now.
Just wanted to thank all for their help.

Jessie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting PDF to Trados

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search