Beginner's question about TM's Trados 2009
Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2009

Question from a newbie to SDL Trados 2009: I read in the tutorial that when translating a new document, a TM will automatically be created. I don't understand this, since I can only save an unclean copy and a copy of the target text. So, where is the TM (sdltm) file based on the translation that I have just made? This may sound as a very silly question to you pro's. Thank you for taking the time to answer!

[Edited at 2009-10-10 22:44 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:17
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
First create an empty TM Oct 11, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:
when translating a new document, a TM will automatically be created.

Your tutorial slightly misled you. You first have to load Trados Workbench and create an empty Translation Memory (File / New / Create).
That TM (actually consisting of 5 files) will live in the directory of your choice.
After that, assuming Workbench is installed in Word, the TM grow automatically as you translate.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
How to create a TM in Studio 2009 Oct 11, 2009

As Peter says, first you must create your TM. As you have mentioned that you're using Trados 2009, you won't be using WorkBench (the application used prior to 2009). In Studio, go to File > New > Translation Memory and then follow the Wizard.
(This process is described in "Create a Translation Memory" in the Help section.)

Then when you open a new doc for translation, you specify your newly created (but empty) TM, and as you translate and confirm each segment, your TM will start to grow.

You might be interested in using WinAlign to make use of previously translated files if they contain similar terminology to the translations you will be doing in the future, because WinAlign automatically segments your old translations and then you import that project into your TM.

Hope this helps.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can also simply start with opening the file Oct 11, 2009

You will be asked for language pair and for a TM in that language pair. As you have no TM at the beginning, you can't simply chose one. However, you can create a new one within the wizzard for opening a file for translation. When you chose "Create - file based translation memory" the same wizzard will open, as mentioned by Emma.
For the start you can use the default settiings, however I would stronly recommend to check the "Recognize variables" and "Recognize acronym" setting on the corresponding tab in creation wizzard.

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 11, 2009

Okay, I will give it a try now, thanks for your kind input!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner's question about TM's Trados 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search