Is it possible to create a bilingual Trados file from a translation done in SDLX?
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:11
Member (2006)
English to German
Oct 11, 2009

Hello,

a new client asked me to send a translation as a bilingual Trados file for proofreading purposes.

I own SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, however, I only use the SDLX component of it. Everytime I tried to use Trados, I gave up frustrated and returned to SDLX.

So I would like to ask you all, is there a function which allows me to create a bilingual Trados file from a translation done in SDLX? For example some kind of alignment with my source and target text?

Or could I do something with the Translation memory, like importing it in Trados and doing some kind of automatch function which hopefully puts out a bilingual Trados file? Although there might be some problems with our German letters like ä, ö, ü - because when I recently did it the other way round, i.e. imported a Trados TM to use with my SDLX for another project, I noticed these letters were garbled.

Or is there something else I could do I cannot even think of yet?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Export to Trados tag ttx format Oct 11, 2009

It may depend on which version of SDLX you have, Katrin. I have SDL 2007 SP3. When you are in SDLX edit mode, make sure that the itd file with your translation is open. Then go to File, Trados, export to Trados tag ttx format, and specify where the file should be saved. The resulting file is then saved as an itd.ttx file. You can then rename the file, deleting the itd. bit and leaving the .ttx file. Renaming the file is not essential.

Maximum compatibility is achieved by first presegmenting the file in Trados, after which you can export the itd translation by 'harvesting' it (see File, Trados, harvest exported Tradostag file), but like you, I don't get on with Trados, nor with the way Trados presegments files, so I use the first option.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 01:11
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Alternative: pre-segment in TWB, import in SDLX setting Trados style default Oct 11, 2009

Hello Katrin,

an alternative, especially if the original is a MSWord document and your client prefers an uncleaned file, you can pre-segment (Tools -> Translate check Segment unknown sentences) in TWB, set Trados style default in SDLX and import the file in SDLX Edit. Once you are done, create the file and you'll have an uncleaned Trados file.

It's a little bit more time-consuming than translating directly in Trados, but not that much.

Giuliana

PS I also get garbled letters from time to time, but only when importing a Trados *txt export into SLDX Maintain. If you have to deliver a Trados TM export, simply create a TM in TWB and do the cleanup of a copy of your uncleaned file and export the TM saving it as a *txt or *tmx 1.4b.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to create a bilingual Trados file from a translation done in SDLX?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search