https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/147808-preview_in_trados_studio_2009.html

preview in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: simon tanner
simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:52
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2009

OK, so it's still only the first day, although seeing as I've been using SDL products for 15 years (I got SDLX when it first came out), I was hoping for a more hassle-free transition. Anyway...
The prgramme works fine (if a crash every hour or so is 'fine', but it's early days), but when I so much as open the preview window, every time I confirm a segment I get a message complaining about a problem with the MultiTerm8.dotm file. Whatever I click, it then opens an empty Word document, and t
... See more
OK, so it's still only the first day, although seeing as I've been using SDL products for 15 years (I got SDLX when it first came out), I was hoping for a more hassle-free transition. Anyway...
The prgramme works fine (if a crash every hour or so is 'fine', but it's early days), but when I so much as open the preview window, every time I confirm a segment I get a message complaining about a problem with the MultiTerm8.dotm file. Whatever I click, it then opens an empty Word document, and this rigmarole is repated for every single segment, making work impossible. Any solutions rather than just forget the preview feature (why didn't I just buy MemoQ, I wonder)?
Thanks for any light yoiu may be able to shed on what I am sure will not be my last query...
Simon
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:52
Spanish
+ ...
SP1 Oct 11, 2009

Hi Simon,

I can't help you out with that problem since I've never seen it, but the Service Pack 1 for Studio is scheduled to be out in a few days, and that should fix the problem.

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP1 Oct 11, 2009

Thanks Claudia,
I so hope you're right...

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I don't think so Oct 12, 2009

I don't think this issue is related to Studio build; to me it seems to be a Word-related problem. Therefore, if I were at your place, Simon, I would disable the MultiTerm.dotm template in Word if you don't need it desperately for your work, i.e. if you don't desperately need to add new terms into your termbase from within Microsoft Word.

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
disabling template Oct 12, 2009

Stanislav - brilliant!
I disabled the template and now the preview works fine. Seeing as I never use Multi Term in Word, this is not a problem.
Thanks!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Glad it has worked Oct 13, 2009

A best-practice tip: I rarely use Word as the translation environment, so I keep all templates stored in a special folder and only copy them back to Word if I need them. My Word installation is therefore clean and - trust me - much faster. That's not only the case of Trados, but of other templates too (Acrobat PDF Maker, Ando Tools etc. etc.).

[Upraveno: 2009-10-13 10:11 GMT]

Dr JM Chen, PhD
Dr JM Chen, PhD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Chinese to English
+ ...
The preview works now! Jan 26, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

...I would disable the MultiTerm.dotm template in Word if you don't need it desperately for your work...

I'm very glad I found the answer to the problem. The preview is now working after I deleted the MultiTerm.dotm template.

Thank you, Stanislav!

JM Chen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

preview in Trados Studio 2009

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »