SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus license
Thread poster: queen123
queen123
Local time: 02:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 11, 2009

Question of a newbie. Could anyone please enlighten me? 17:08

As an MA student Translation Studies of the London Metropolitan University, SDL has offered me the opportunity to take advantage of a Student Group Buy. This will enable me to purchase an SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus license at only $99 / €99 / £99 (reduced from $149 / €149 / £149).

First I thought this sounds too good to be true (given that the normal price of the software is about $ 800 / $ 900). So I emailed SDL asking them to let me know if SDL Trados Studio 2009 includes all the components needed to complete the translation of all types of documents, including website translation. SDL replied that Studio 2009 indeed includes the following application: SDL Trados Studio, SDL MultiTerm 2009, SDL Trados WinAlign, SDL Passolo Essential, SDL Trados 2007 Suite, as well as Translator’s Workbench and TagEditor.

My question is the following: with these application, will I be able to translate all types of documents including websites? Are Studio 2009 and SDL Trados 2007 Suite compatible applications?

Direct link Reply with quote

hongrara
China
Chinese to French
+ ...
it sounds ok Oct 11, 2009

Hello,

The sdl they offerred you sounds ok, i dont think it's any different from the one we get with normal price.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
No free lunch Oct 11, 2009

As far as I know, student licences are for educational purposes only. Once you start making money with it, I think you will be expected to pay the full rate. No idea how SDL handles the details, but that is what I heard.

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:03
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SDL is promoting it's business, that's it! Oct 12, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

As far as I know, student licences are for educational purposes only. Once you start making money with it, I think you will be expected to pay the full rate. No idea how SDL handles the details, but that is what I heard.

I agree to the words of Wolfgang here. SDL is doing business here and when it's providing it's product at low rates, it is expecting students or newbies to purchase it's product and start doing business using their product. Once, you'll start earning good amount of money or their market is expanded to a good extent, it'll stop offering such attractive stuffs, I feel.

HAPPY DEEPAVALI TO ALL OF MY PROZ PROFESSIONAL FRIENDS!

[Edited at 2009-10-12 03:25 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:33
English
Benefits for Students Oct 13, 2009

Dear all,

I thought it would be worth clarifiying what SDL offer for Students. Of course it's good business sense, but we are not trying to develop a habit and then charge more later. There are good deals on offer for the Student population.

• Students from universities that are part of the University Program can purchase a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus and PSMA for 1 year.

• Upgrades from SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus.

• We also run special promotions for students, where they have the opportunity to purchase a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus.

• Students from universities that are not part of the University Program can also purchase a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus at reduced rates.

• We also have good deals for recent graduates (those who have graduated a year or less ago) can also purchase a permanent license of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus and PSMA for 1 year.

• Students can also apply for our SDL TRADOS Internship Program
    http://www.translationzone.com/en/community/academic-portal/SDL-TRADOS-Internship-Program.asp

• They can also become SDL TRADOS Certified for free for all 3 levels.

The actual prices need to be obtained through the respective University, or if you are a recent graduate through our sales teams.

I hope this clarifies the situation a little?

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Doing business Oct 13, 2009

Hi Jai,
respectfully, don't you think that the whole world lives from business? By the way:
- our university is enjoying 21 free educational licenses for StarTransit (wow!)
- Kilgray offer free educational licenses for universities (wow!)
- Microsoft has free educational licenses for schools (wow!)
- SDL offer discounted rates for students (boooo!)
Don't you think there is a little disproportion in opinions? Well, when two are doing the same thing, it is not always the same thing, is it?

[Upraveno: 2009-10-13 11:21 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Free licenses Oct 13, 2009

Hi Stan,

Just to clarify a point. I was referring to the deals for Students and not necessarily for Universities. SDL also offer free licenses to many Universities for their Students to use as part of a course. In addition we offer reduced pricing for Students irrespective of their vocation.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My bit of clarification Oct 13, 2009

OFF-TOPIC

Hi Paul,
sorry for my wrong wording. I was merely pointing out that while others offer reduced prices or free licenses for universities and/or students it is accepted as great service, but when SDL applies a similar or the same policy it is accepted with a "boooo". All I'm trying is to stay ubiased, not riding the unjustified "everybobody-against-the-market-leader" wave.

EDIT to add OFF-TOPIC.

[Upraveno: 2009-10-13 13:06 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Cosi fan tutte... Oct 13, 2009

JAI SHANIDEV wrote:

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

No.
It's a full license, just like DVX student license sold at 50% of the street price

I agree to the words of Wolfgang here. SDL is doing business here and when it's providing it's product at low rates, it is expecting students or newbies to purchase it's product and start doing business using their product.

AFAIK every CAT maker offers low priced licenses to students in order to expand their market share, they simply invest in their future.
The "problem" it's easier to see SDL offers 'cause SDL is big and bad

Once, you'll start earning good amount of money or their market is expanded to a good extent, it'll stop offering such attractive stuffs, I feel.

Of course, when the students become professional translators, the situation changes and the upgrades are fully paid, I think it's quite normal.

PS.
The best educational offer I ever seen is MemoQ, free of charge for home use.
http://en.kilgray.com/?q=node/solutions/academia

Cheers
GG

queen123
Local time: 02:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados Oct 13, 2009

Thank you everybody for your comments and for taking time to answer my question.

To Paul (SDL): Does 'permanent' mean that I won't need to pay the full rate in the future to use SDL Trados as a freelance translator ( like some colleagues have indicated)?

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The word "permanent" refers to the version Oct 13, 2009

A "permanent" licence of software usually means for the version in question.

Will you still want to use a 2009 version of a CAT tool in the year 2011, when there is a new version out, with lots of nice new features? And what about in 2013? In 2015?

Once you are earning well as a translator, you will be able to buy the upgrades.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not such a good deal, IMHO Oct 13, 2009

Grzegorz wrote:
PS.

Hi GG,
I don't think it's such a good deal at all. If you buy a Trados license, it is permanent and fully commercial. At least that's how I understood it from Paul's post.
MemoQ is free for educational purposes, but if you want to use it commercially, you will have to buy full license at full price. Their website also says:

"The institution can give extra licenses to instructors/students for (educational) home use for up to one year at a time."

So, the way I understand it, the educational license for home use is limited to one year. Moreover, they charge pretty much for support: if you log a support case, you will be charged € 100 for that month which is, AFAIK, more than SDL would charge these users for the whole year.

French to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ case Oct 13, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Grzegorz wrote:
PS.

I don't think it's such a good deal at all. If you buy a Trados license, it is permanent and fully commercial. At least that's how I understood it from Paul's post.

True.
But the paid "student" MemoQ licence is permanent and fully commercial too.
The free MemoQ version is just free like free lunch, I don't understand why you think it's a bad deal

MemoQ is free for educational purposes, but if you want to use it commercially, you will have to buy full license at full price.

No.
They give huge discounts for students.
Just ask 'em.

Their website also says:

"The institution can give extra licenses to instructors/students for (educational) home use for up to one year at a time."

So, the way I understand it, the educational license for home use is limited to one year.

I think it's the largest trial period I ever saw in my life
As I said, they have paid "student" versions too.

BTW.
My students would like to have a Trados 2009 trial just for one month...

Moreover, they charge pretty much for support: if you log a support case, you will be charged € 100 for that month which is, AFAIK, more than SDL would charge these users for the whole year.

Generally, if you teach a CAT tool, you haven't critical problems
Unless you teach Multiterm, of course

PS.
We're getting off topic here, let's continue on the MemoQ forum...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-10-13 20:26 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
No additional fees Oct 13, 2009

queen123 wrote:

Thank you everybody for your comments and for taking time to answer my question.

To Paul (SDL): Does 'permanent' mean that I won't need to pay the full rate in the future to use SDL Trados as a freelance translator (like some colleagues have indicated)?

No.
But if you want to upgrade, no more discounts, AFAIR.

Cheers
GG

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Just one more brief comment Oct 13, 2009

Hi GG,
I didn't see any mentioning about discounts to students on their homepage. If they do give them, okay, there seems to be little or no difference between Kilgray and SDL in this respect.

As for giving your students the opportunity of testing Trados, I believe making the installers available to them (perhaps over FTP) would be a good choice. I'm considering the same, but I have to ask Paul first.

As to the problems, I have encountered numerous issues, but most of them were not related to the CAT tool itself, but rather local network and access rights settings. But sometimes you simply need to know which file is conflicting/write-protected/etc., and if you can't spend three hours on figuring that out yourself, you have to ask. And charging € 100 for a reply, uhm, that's pretty much.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus license

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search