Convert excel to Multiterm IX
Thread poster: amtunney

amtunney
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
Oct 12, 2009

I am just starting a university program using Trados. Is there a specific format to enter bilingual terms and definitions, etc, on excel sheet, so that the sheet can be converted to Multiterm IX, ie term fields in rows and source and target language in column? We all seem to be newbies in the class. Also, is anyone aware of a commercial termbase (esp, for finance and economics) that can be purchased and imported into Multiterm? The thought of creating a few thousands entries personally is mind-numbing.

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:10
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jerzy's manual + Glosspost Oct 12, 2009

for importing an Excel table into a Multiterm termbase is available here: http://trados-training.tts-td.com/Multiterm.pdf .
Concerning the finance-economy glossary: take a look a Glosspost or search google with the approporiate key words – you can find a lot of freely available resources.

Kind regards,
Attila

amtunney
Local time: 23:10
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Language Oct 12, 2009

Thank you for such an amazingly fast reply. I read the support document and have questions about language---if my pair is Spanish to English, should the excel sheet be set up to have Spanish in the 1st column and English next. The pdf example has the source as German, target as Polish, but definition is in English. If I wish to have bilingual entries in Multiterm, do I need to have columns for each language definition---or do most translators have the definitions, context, etc, in one language. Of for that matter do most translators and available importable databases use the other entry fields:graphics, notes, context, etc? at all, or enter them manually if they feel it necessary? I did emphasize the "newbie" part of our level!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:10
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try it out Oct 12, 2009

Hi again,

In my experience, in most cases you will deal with two fields: source term and target terms. So, the basic "bilingual glossary" format can be used. If you happen to need a more complex structure, you can always export and re-import the contents of a termbase into another.

As for the Polish-German glossary with English definitions: it is perfectly fine. The language of the definitions does not need to be the same as your source or target language.

For s Spanish to English glossary 1st column = Spanish 2nd column = English is fine. Try it, since by experimenting with the program you will learn best how it works. After all,
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field. (Niels Bohr)

Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert excel to Multiterm IX

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search