TM - Fuzzy Matches Function not working properly
Thread poster: Erich Friese

Erich Friese  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:41
Member (2006)
German to English
Oct 13, 2009

I am a newcomer to SDL Trados Studio 2009 for Tranlators.
Working my way laboriously through the Training Course Handbook for 'Getting Started', I have come across an apparently insurmountable obstacle: My TM identifies 100% matches , but WILL NOT identify 'fuzzy matches' (e.g. as 70% default setting). The TM seems to be properly installed with the (sample) document I am translating. - What am I doing wrong??
Please advise. Your help will be greatly appreciated. - UEF

Direct link Reply with quote

simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:41
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
how fuzzy? Oct 13, 2009

Sometimes quite big chunks of a segment in your current translation can be similar to segments already in the TM, without the segment getting any fuzzy match hits - you obviously need to bear in mind the size of the segment being translated as a whole. Even if a segment in the TM is the same, word for word, as the first half of a segment in your translation, it will only show up if the fuzzy match threshold is set to 50%. 70% is actually quite high and will only throw up stuff that is VERY similar. I tend to set the threshold to 50% - I prefer to weed out the useless stuff myself without risking losing maximum leverage on my TM.
So try setting it at 50% and see if it makes any difference.

If not, take a look at the translation memory itself, to check whether it actually contains what you think it does. Press the Translation Memory tab in the bottom left hand corner of the Studio interface and then select the TM from the list that will appear at the top of the left hand side of the main window. Using Edit/Find, try looking for words or phrases from segments that you believe should have returned fuzzy hits, making sure you remember to select 'source' in the Find and Replace dialogue box. If they're there, and you have set the fuzzy hit level low enough, and they still don't get suggested, then I'm stumped too...

Australia
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How fuzzy.... Oct 13, 2009

Thank you, Simon, your reply is very much appreciated.

I am following precisely the steps outlined in the Workbook provided by Trados (SDL Trados Studio 2009 - Getting Started). Anticipateed 100% matches are coming up, but in two particular steps, 70% fuzzy matches that are expected to come up, BUT......don't !

Again, thanks for your help. I will 'fiddle around' with this some more.
Ciao....Erich

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:41
French to Polish
+ ...
Change the minimum match value parameter Oct 13, 2009

Erich Friese wrote:

I am following precisely the steps outlined in the Workbook provided by Trados (SDL Trados Studio 2009 - Getting Started). Anticipateed 100% matches are coming up, but in two particular steps, 70% fuzzy matches that are expected to come up, BUT......don't !

As Simon suggested, the default 70% threshold is too high for some languages.

Try to test your segments with the minimum allowed by Trados (30%).
If something is suggested, the fuzzy matching seems to work correctly but the matching algorithm may give you a score slightly below 70%.
E.g., it's possible the manual was created and tested before some slight change in the matching algorithm, it happens.
If you don't receive 30% hits in evident cases, something is really wrong.

Cheers
GG

Australia
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Change the minimum match value parameter Oct 13, 2009

....thanks, Grzegorz, much appreciated.

Will try as suggested. If it still doesn't work, I may have to talk to the technical people at TRADOS.
Ciao....Erich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM - Fuzzy Matches Function not working properly

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search