Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
When will Studio 2009 SP1 finally be [officially] released?
Thread poster: Darrell Champlin

Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 13, 2009

Can't hurt to ask: when will Studio 2009 SP1 finally be [officially] released? I still have that lingering, nasty, bitter taste in my mouth after upgrading, months ago, to a very, very clearly-pre-beta-issue-riddled-premature-utterly-time-wasting and disappointing "revolutionary" roll out.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-14 05:47 GMT]

Direct link

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:30
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
very soon I think Oct 13, 2009

I contacted SDL at the end of last week asking whether I could be included in the Beta team. I was told the release of SP1 is imminent, so I didn't bother downloading the Beta version. I am guessing sometime this week.

Direct link

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:30
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Light at the end of the tunnel? Indeed. Oct 13, 2009

The bad news is that the light is an oncoming freight train. I recommend avoiding the suffocating confines of tunnel-vision software companies and look at some of the alternatives under the bright, open sky.

Direct link

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Alternatives? Oct 13, 2009

You would have a hard time finding an alternative that will increase your productivity quite as much as the SP1 release of Studio will. Keep your eyes peeled for it... coming soon!

Direct link

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Alternatives :) Oct 13, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

You would have a hard time finding an alternative that will increase your productivity quite as much as the SP1 release of Studio will.

No problem.
DVX or MemoQ.

Keep your eyes peeled for it... coming soon!

Finally...

Cheers
GG

Direct link

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Clever, quite clever... Oct 13, 2009

You would have a hard time finding an alternative that will increase your productivity quite as much as the SP1 release of Studio will. Keep your eyes peeled for it... coming soon!

Oh, I get it now! The release of 2009 in that state was a clever marketing ploy! Now they can win the masses over with whatever improvements they throw in...

Well, if my worktool kept crashing all the time (I remember one post where a user rejoiced that it worked well for over an hour!), then any improvement in the stability would bring me to my knees with joys of utter happiness and gratitude.

After that I might easily overlook the fact that it should have worked that way from the start. Or that in its full patched and stable glory it's just an average run-of-the-mill CAT... or should I say, a rather mediocre CAT...

[Edited at 2009-10-13 18:51 GMT]

Direct link

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
To pour some oil into the fire... Oct 13, 2009

Kevin wrote:
ecommend avoiding the suffocating confines of tunnel-vision software companies and look at some of the alternatives[...] [/quote]
I can't remember you ever posting anything else, Kevin. No offence.

GG wrote:
No problem.
DVX or MemoQ.

Agree, provided:
1. Most incoming project don't require Trados, which is not my case; AND/OR
2. The PMs are technically competent enough to let you work on Trados projects with other tools, which is not the case of most PMs I work for either. I'm stressing, this concerns me; your and other people's situation may be completely different.

Jaroslaw wrote:
After that I might easily overlook the fact that it should have worked that way from the start. Or that in its full patched and stable glory it's just an average run-of-the-mill CAT... or should I say, a rather mediocre CAT...

One thing should be made clear at the very beginning: I'm not trying to advocate SDL, no matter how much it may sound/read so. But looking back, I must see a few things:
1. SDL released a pre-mature product in June 2009; there's little discussion about that.
2. Studio was Beta-tested for couple of months. I can't speak for the other Beta testers, but as for me, I had very little time to perform in-depth tests to send bug reports. As far as I can remember, I only sent three or four. None of the bugs I had reported were present in the final release. Perhaps if the Beta testers had been more active, many bugs could have been dealt with prior to the final release. But this is just a statement based on my personal experience; I can imagine other Beta testers were active indeed and submitted more bug reports than I did.
To sum this up, you cannot debug anything if you don't even know such a problem exists.

Pehaps a suggestion to SDL: next time, prepare a production-ready Beta version and let have it tested for six months. That should be enough.

Direct link

French to Polish
+ ...
Mixed workflows Oct 13, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

GG wrote:
No problem.
DVX or MemoQ.

Agree, provided:
1. Most incoming project don't require Trados, which is not my case; AND/OR
2. The PMs are technically competent enough to let you work on Trados projects with other tools, which is not the case of most PMs I work for either.

You know I have Trados too but I rarely translate in Trados.
Because it was always slower.
I think all the PMs I work for know I translate mainly in DVX but the Trados files I deliver are simply 100% Trados files.

I'm stressing, this concerns me; your and other people's situation may be completely different.

I suppose our case is very similar but I simply prefer DVX as editor.
In the same way, I prefer make revisions/QA in Trados.
De gustibus...

Cheers
GG

Direct link

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Oct 13, 2009

Yep, as I said, this very much depends on the PMs. And many of those I work for, especially those in larger agencies, need a little push here and a little push there. Fortunately, not all of them.
But I'm afraid we're again in for the endless "which-CAT-tool-is-the-best" discussion. Since there is no definite answer, just statements of personal preferences, I'm quitting.

[Upraveno: 2009-10-13 20:20 GMT]

Direct link

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:30
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Alternatives Oct 13, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You would have a hard time finding an alternative that will increase your productivity quite as much as the SP1 release of Studio will.

No problem.
DVX or MemoQ.

Productivity and Trados? It sounds like a joke I have been using Trados Studio since March (7 months), and I could call it a productive tool only if it was released 10 years ago. IMO, as regards productivity, Trados cannot be compared with DVX and MemoQ.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Keep your eyes peeled for it... coming soon!

Finally...

Let's wait and see, new bugs will be reported at SDL Trados support forum. Actually the number of reported bugs will increase dramatically when (and if) some large agencies start using Studio. AFAIK, agencies still use Trados 2007 or older versions.

[Edited at 2009-10-13 22:09 GMT]

Direct link

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:30
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Some things never change! Oct 13, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
I can't remember you ever posting anything else, Kevin. No offence.

None taken. There's a reason why my message has been consistent over the years. In the 9 years I have used Trados and other tools, Trados has always been the loser when it comes to efficiency as a sole TEnT environment. Aside from the highly offensive marketing campaigns by Trados and later SDL Trados, the real problem is that the tool has seriously sucked compared to the alternatives and will most likely continue to do so - or at least lag far behind better options. But I think it's great that so many people use Trados and I hope they continue to do so, because the trouble they have and often create with the tool just makes life easier for me

Direct link

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:30
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Good point Oct 13, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

But I think it's great that so many people use Trados and I hope they continue to do so, because the trouble they have and often create with the tool just makes life easier for me

Yes, Trados is the best CAT tool

Direct link

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Do they have to know? Oct 14, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Agree, provided:
1. Most incoming project don't require Trados, which is not my case;

Just curious: does any of your clients already require you to use Studio? It is my impression that the pre-Studio formats (uncleaned doc and ttx) are still the big favourites and they are here to stay for another while.

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
2. The PMs are technically competent enough to let you work on Trados projects with other tools, which is not the case of most PMs I work for either. I'm stressing, this concerns me; your and other people's situation may be completely different.

I have been on the mixed workflow for almost 10 years now and - if used correctly - no PM will ever complain or even need to know you use another tool. And they even required me to work with certain versions.

Direct link

French to Polish
+ ...
No servers, no switch... Oct 14, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Agree, provided:
1. Most incoming project don't require Trados, which is not my case;

Just curious: does any of your clients already require you to use Studio?

You're kidding?
No servers, no switch.
No hardened version, no switch.
In fact, SDL takes now a campaign of beta-like tests using the freelancers who hurry upon a prematurely released Studio 2009.
The corporate customers and the translation offices are waiting for some working version, i.e. at least T2009 SP1, I hope.
Then they'll see.

It is my impression that the pre-Studio formats (uncleaned doc and ttx) are still the big favourites and they are here to stay for another while.

Seconded.
The bilingual DOC/RTF and TTX workflows were heavily tested during several years.
And the inertia rulez.

PS.
I never received a Trados 2009 job.
And when I take a look on the TTX files I receive, I see a lot of them were created using an old or very old Trados version, e.g. 8.0.0.822 (a free SP2 is available...), 7.1.0.719, 6.5.2.417, even 6.0.0.309 (I could not believe my eyes...).
One thing seems sure, the 5.x versions seem to be definitively dead now...
The examples come from big or very big translation offices.

Cheers
GG

Direct link

julienwp
France
English to French
Wait and see Oct 14, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Productivity and Trados? It sounds like a joke I have been using Trados Studio since March (7 months), and I could call it a productive tool only if it was released 10 years ago. IMO, as regards productivity, Trados cannot be compared with DVX and MemoQ.

Come on! Stability = greater productivity Believe me! SP1 is indeed stable.

AutoSuggest, live segment checks and display filter are great features. I couldn't live without them...

What was it like 10 years ago? I've been using Trados for 6 years (I tried DejaVu for a few months). Many improvements were made since Trados 5. I think we should consider Studio as a brand new product: New software code, new features... new problems.
Take a look at Wordfast Pro. Redesigned from scratch: Awesome... but crippled with bugs until recently.

Studio SP1 should be released very soon.

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When will Studio 2009 SP1 finally be [officially] released?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search