Converting STF to MIF in S-Tagger: Error 1140
Thread poster: xxxSophAnd
xxxSophAnd
Local time: 01:25
English
Oct 14, 2009

Hi,

I am working on a multi-file project, and converting the translated STF files (converted from MIF) back to MIF using S-Tagger in Trados 2007.

The files have all converted fine except for one - the translator has run the tag verifier in TagEditor and no errors, I have used Verify S-Tags tool in S-Tagger, and no errors. However, when I try to convert STF to MIF, I receive the following message:
"Conversion error 1140. Error in Tags".

Does anyone recognise this problem, or have any advice on what to try? I have already tried reconverting the source MIF to STF and running it against the translation memory, repopulating the file and trying again to convert it back to MIF.

I appreciate any help!

Kate

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your error message is very clear Oct 14, 2009

you wrote
Conversion error 1140. Error in Tags

There should be also a hint saying "Run tag verification on this file".
Depending on the format (either rtf or ttx used for translation) you can either verify tags in S-Tagger or in Tageditor. You have to correct your own tag errors prior to conversion.

Best regards
Jerzy

xxxSophAnd
English
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried verifying tags... Oct 14, 2009

... I didn't get any errors reported during verification, this is the odd thing. The translator doesn't get any errors either, and when I translate to fuzzy from scratch using the memory, it goes right through to the end without stopping to say there are any tags missing etc.

So, still confused! Thanks anyway!

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
... Oct 14, 2009

SophAnd wrote:

... I didn't get any errors reported during verification,

During verification in TagEditor or verification in S-Tagger?

Radek

[Edited at 2009-10-14 15:33 GMT]

xxxSophAnd
English
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 14, 2009

Hi Radek, I didn't get an error message in TagEditor OR S-Tag Verifier in S-Tagger!

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
... Oct 14, 2009

SophAnd wrote:

Hi Radek, I didn't get an error message in TagEditor OR S-Tag Verifier in S-Tagger!

Very odd... I almost, almost, don't believe you

Please do two things:

1) try to check if source, untouched, TTX files can be converted back to MIF files - it will tell us if source MIF/ORG files are fine;

2) in your translated TTX files please do one TAG error on purpose (remove one or two Internals) and then please run S-Tagger verification in S-Tagger - this time S-Tagger will have to generate CMP file with warnings/errors;

Radek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting STF to MIF in S-Tagger: Error 1140

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search