Memory fails to update itself + problems w. import-export function
Thread poster: Kati B

Kati B
Local time: 19:23
Finnish to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

Hi,

I have a very odd problem. I use Trados 2009 in the latest Word and it worked ok before. However, now the memory does not update itself anymore. For example, I translate an entire text and during the same day I can find these new translated segments from the memory (i.e. with the concordance function). But the next day they are gone, and the translated segments are shown as yellow (with the workbench text "New translation unit! Use "Set" to add it to the TM") when opening them again, although they of course should be in the memory already (with the text "Exact match" on the workbench).

I have the same problem with exporting and importing files. Whenever I import a new file into the TM, I can use it once, but the next day I have to import it again. The memory isn't completely dead, since the older translations can still be found.

Do I have the wrong settings?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 18:23
German
+ ...
Reorganize Oct 15, 2009

You'd think the Trados developers should have noticed by now that an automatic reminder for this would solve the problem once and for all, but AFAIK even in the latest version, no indication is given when the TM requires reorganization. Countless translators have lost their work over the years to the lack of explanation and/or user guidance regarding this topic.

I don't know where in the UI you can find the corresponding function in T2009, but it used to be at File|Reorganize. If you don't reorganize your TM occasionally, it will deteriorate more and more and become entirely unusable eventually.

HTH,

Benjamin

[Edited at 2009-10-15 13:00 GMT]

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:23
Dutch to English
Project translation Memory? Oct 15, 2009

Could it be that you have created a project memory for the job and the segments are being updated in the project memory and not your main memory? When you go back to the project are you then opening your main memory instead of the project memory? As a freelancer I never create a project memory when creating a project and so all updating is direct to my main memory.

Kati B
Local time: 19:23
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reorganising the memory is not helping Nov 19, 2009

Thank you for the quick answers and sorry for my late reply. I have reorganised my memory occasionally (and I don't have separate project memories) and yet the problem hasn't been solved. When I opened the memory today, it doesn't 'remember' any of the texts I've translated during the past weeks. I quess contacting trados is the only answer, but apparently I need upgrades and support contracts in order for them to help me..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory fails to update itself + problems w. import-export function

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search