Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

A client (end user, not an agency) has some InDesign files that need to be translated.

I have worked on inx files before, but never directly with indd files. I have SDL Trados Studio 2009. I tried opening the files with TagEditor but I got a message saying something like there was no settings definition for the file.

Is it possible to work on indd files without actually having InDesign?

Thank you in advance,

Nora

julienwp
France
Local time: 20:42
English to French
INX only... Oct 14, 2009

Nora Diaz wrote:

A client (end user, not an agency) has some InDesign files that need to be translated.

I have worked on inx files before, but never directly with indd files. I have SDL Trados Studio 2009. I tried opening the files with TagEditor but I got a message saying something like there was no settings definition for the file.

Is it possible to work on indd files without actually having InDesign?

Thank you in advance,

Nora

Hi Nora,

I've just had the same scenario. Studio can't process a standard InDesign file. Simply ask for an INX export. Don't forget to tell your client not to embed the graphics in the export file. This way, you won't run into memory problems.

Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling InDesign files

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search