https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/148225-source_formatting_not_copied_over_trados_2009.html

Source formatting not copied over Trados 2009
Thread poster: Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:52
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Oct 15, 2009

Hello: does anyone know how to prevent this happening? It makes for a lot of work to have to completely re-format a large document after it has been translated.

The source document is in the 'arial' font. Normal paragraphs automatically start in arial in the target but if there happens to be a word in italics in the sentence in the source, the target changes to times new roman.

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Having the same problem! Nov 8, 2009

Normally, the font attributes are carried over from the source to the target language - but woe betide you if the source has any formatting (bold, italic, etc.), then suddenly the target language appears in a different font. And weirdly enough, not always the same one (when the source is Arial, it switches to Times, when the source is Frutiger it switches to Arial!). Is there not an option for setting project-specific default fonts? That would be useful.

But I for one would definite
... See more
Normally, the font attributes are carried over from the source to the target language - but woe betide you if the source has any formatting (bold, italic, etc.), then suddenly the target language appears in a different font. And weirdly enough, not always the same one (when the source is Arial, it switches to Times, when the source is Frutiger it switches to Arial!). Is there not an option for setting project-specific default fonts? That would be useful.

But I for one would definitely be grateful if SDL would address this problem - after a different font attribute is not a different font, so why does this problem even crop up? I could understand it perhaps if the source language were in a number of different fonts but even then it would make more sense if the font chosen for the target language were at least the first font used in the source segment, not some apparently randomly chosen default font!

I am using Trados Studio SP1 9.1.1107.0
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Found a solution ... Nov 9, 2009

It’s not ideal, but it seems to work.

There is a button on the menu bar at the top that looks like a newspaper. You can activate this to toggle formatting tags (ctrl + shift + H apparently does the same). With these tags activated, you can instantly recognise the segments which have this potential problem and deal with them accordingly.

To copy the required tags into your target segment press ctrl + OEM + , (con
... See more
It’s not ideal, but it seems to work.

There is a button on the menu bar at the top that looks like a newspaper. You can activate this to toggle formatting tags (ctrl + shift + H apparently does the same). With these tags activated, you can instantly recognise the segments which have this potential problem and deal with them accordingly.

To copy the required tags into your target segment press ctrl + OEM + , (control plus the windows key plus comma) and choose the corresponding tag from the dropdown list that appears.

Hope that helps until a better solution comes about.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Work with tagged view Nov 9, 2009

and you'll be sure all formatting attributes are in your text.
I understand you are victims of the "clean and tag free environment" claim, which in fact is not fully true. As we do not work in the native format (doc, xls and so on), but in a meta format, it must contain tags. Exactly as the word "must" in my previous sentence appears in your browser in bold, but I have written it like this <b>must</b>. The <b> appea
... See more
and you'll be sure all formatting attributes are in your text.
I understand you are victims of the "clean and tag free environment" claim, which in fact is not fully true. As we do not work in the native format (doc, xls and so on), but in a meta format, it must contain tags. Exactly as the word "must" in my previous sentence appears in your browser in bold, but I have written it like this <b>must</b>. The <b> appearing in front of this word is the starting formatting tag for bold, </b> is the closing one.
When you switch the tag view on in Studio, you may (with full tag text shown) see, that the font changes are already "programmed" in your source document, ie it is badly formatted, as the local formatting does not much the styles used.
This is not a Studio (Trados) specific problem, but just bad formatting of the source.
To see how that works, write this in Word:
This word is bold.
Make the word "word" bold, exactly as in this example.
Now place the cursor directly in front of the bold word. The "B" symbol (bold formatting) on your formatting toolbar in Word should now be not active. Move the cursor with the arrow keys to the right. When the cursor is within the bold word, the symbol for bold formatting is on. Move the cursor so, that is is directly behing the bold word. The symbol for bold formatting will still be on. Go one step more to the right. Obviously the symbol for bold formatting is off now. Move now back to the left, just the single step you went previously. The symbol for bold formatting is now still of, although just few seconds ago, when the cursor was exactly at the same place, it was on. Why?
Because the cursor is now not exactly where it was before.
Starting from left, when you place the cursor (now symbolised here by |), it is here:
The |<b>word</b> is bold.
It is placed just before the starting formatting tag.
When you go to the end of the bolded word, the cursor is here:
The <b>word|</b> is bold.
It is just before the end formatting tag.
Now you move it a step to right and the cursor is here:
The <b>word</b> |is bold.
Word skips the formatting tag (this is exactly what we expect).
Now go a step back:
The <b>word</b>| is bold.
Yes, exactly - the cursor is now here, just behind the closing tag and thus not showing bold formatting.

When you start typing in any cat, where tags are not shown, you can't be sure, where your cursor exactly is.

[Edited at 2009-11-09 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source formatting not copied over Trados 2009

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »