Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:03
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Oct 16, 2009

Hello,

I have an Excel file with segments that contain this for example (NB I replaced with () so the content can be seen):

(li)(b)Language(/b): View locations registered with the selected language. (/li)
or
(br /)(img src="/pan/img/arrow.gif" /)(a href="/example">Account Balance Breakdown report(/a) (br /)(br /)(b)Written off funds report(/b)(br /)Commissions that are still due from advertisers but will never be recovered are shown in the Written off funds report. (br /)(img src="/pan/img/arrow.gif" /) (a href="/pan/reports/BadDept")Written off funds report(/a)(script language="JavaScript") var uri = 'http://example' + new String (Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('(img src="'+uri +'")'); (/script)

With Trados 2007 / 8.0, how can I filter out everything that is included in < > for translation and analysis purposes, while keeping it in place? Can I make some definition to change everything in to TE tags?

I would like to focus on real texts only, and also need to make analysis, which won't be exact now as it counts in "script language" and all the other words.

Thanks for any hints.

[Edited at 2009-10-16 17:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Translate in Word or save as HTML Oct 16, 2009

I would use Word instead of TagEditor. Copy the cells containing the HTML tags (or the whole worksheet) to Word, apply the non-translatable style, translate and copy back to Excel.

You could also copy the text from Excel to a text file, save as HTML, translate and copy back.

Not very elegant solution, I know. Maybe somebody has a better idea.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
HTML Oct 16, 2009

Hi Tomas,
I would do as Hynek suggests, i.e. I would export the XLS into a text file, save it as HTML and define a new INI file to make the tags external. This should allow you to focus on the translatable content and leave everything else aside.

EDIT: I don't know the structure of the XLS, so some tags may need defining as internal to avoid splitting one segment into several ones where it is not appropriate. Anyway, they will still be tags, so both the analysis and the translation should be working.

[Upraveno: 2009-10-16 16:54 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
ok Oct 16, 2009

Thanks for hints.

Stanislav, how do I create a custom ini file to achieve the required filtering? Is it described somewhere, or could you please provide an example how to filter out < b >? Thanks.

(I think the option with worksheet copy in Word may not be optimal, as there is quite a lot of rows and it's a bit "heavy" to process copied cells in Word. Besides I'm not an expert in "non-translatable style".)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to filter out (hide) text in Trados

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search