Multiple translations for the same source segment - how to determine which ones will be used?
Thread poster: Jerzy Ozana

Jerzy Ozana  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:50
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2009

I use Tageditor and a TM containing multiple translations for the source segments. I enabled the option when I created the TM but now face a challenge: instead of using target segments with the most recent date (proofed), Workbench keeps applying original (not proofed) ones.

Is there a way to force Workbench to use most recent translations?

I use Trados Freelance 2007 SP2.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Editing the segment Oct 17, 2009

Jerzy Ozana wrote:

I use Tageditor and a TM containing multiple translations for the source segments. I enabled the option when I created the TM but now face a challenge: instead of using target segments with the most recent date (proofed), Workbench keeps applying original (not proofed) ones.

Is there a way to force Workbench to use most recent translations?

I use Trados Freelance 2007 SP2.

Hi Jerzy,

I had this problem once and (another) Jerzy helped me to solve it. Here ist the link:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42723-multiple_translations_allowed:_little_question.html

Read in particular the 2nd paragraph of Jerzy's post, which is a step-by-step explanation.

Hope it helps!

Sylvain

[Modifié le 2009-10-17 10:06 GMT]

Jerzy Ozana  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The keyboard shortcut won't work... Oct 17, 2009

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you very much for this hint and link to Jerzy's post.

What's interesting, the shortcut (Alt+PgDown) does not work with my TM. For some segments I am simply sure I proofed them so I have to run a concordance search on the whole segment and only then the proofed version is shown (with the source segment being identical, down to the last detail!).

This is really annoying as I am starting to translate another manual with several thousand segments, out of which almost 90% are 100% matches (quite many of them changed at the proofreading stage...).

Do you have an idea what is it that stops Workbech from showing the other 100% match?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Jerzy

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Export > Import Oct 17, 2009

Hi Jerzy,

unfortunatelly I don't have a direct solution for your problem...
Perhaps a workaround could help you anyway...I have not tested it: it's just an idea you could think about and - if you want- give it a try on a backup copy of your resource (TM). I read you have "most recent" 100% segment you would like to use instead of the oldest one...

And so, if you have lots of segments created by "someone", changed by "someone", or created on ">date", well you have the "criterion" you need to Export them into a txt file. Just click on WB > File > Export and input these data in order to tell the Workbench what you are searching for.

Now, you are ready to re-import the txt just created, selecting the "Overwrite" radio button in the "Existing translation units" option (WB > File > Import).

These way you'd have your TM with only one translation (the exported and re-imported one) for the existing 100% TUs (it will not work if WB will not find a 100% macth between existing and importing TUs).

Don't forget to backup your resource before trying this...It's Saturday, I don't want you blame on me!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Attributes Oct 17, 2009

Sylvain Leray wrote:

I had this problem once and (another) Jerzy helped me to solve it. Here ist the link:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42723-multiple_translations_allowed:_little_question.html

Read in particular the 2nd paragraph of Jerzy's post, which is a step-by-step explanation.[/quote]

I think the problem is, unlike in DVX, you can't set the matching preferences related to the older/newer segments, so. I think the only serious way to force the newer units is to use attributes (and penalties).

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple translations for the same source segment - how to determine which ones will be used?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search