Conceptual Trados question
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson

Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
French to English
Oct 17, 2009

Hello to all you brighter members. I have had this product since April and cant seem to make it work well consistently.
I am using the Trados Freelance 2009, with the new service pak installed.

Please someone tell me what the concept for translation memoruies is. If you translate an orthopedic article for example, is the idea to open the memory for that article the next time you have an orthopedic article to translate?
How can you tell the memory is open?. I have read the help articles, I swear I have, bvut why cant I just click on the memory and have it open.

Someone was kind enough to help me with locating the memories with 2007. She told me the following process will show the memories. Documents to SLD Trados to projects. Open the projects file and click on the one you want. Then open that and chose the en-Fr file. But that no longer works with 2009.

Why cant I click on one of the five files in my documen t folder, that Trados creates and see the info. It tells me the format is not acceptable.

I tried klogging into the help desk on support, but it is not working at present.

Jessie

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You have to upgrade your TMs Oct 18, 2009

Hello "Jessie08",

you have to upgrade your Suite 2007 memories, if you want to use them in Studio.

Click on the memory button on the left side of the Studio interface and then on upgrade. You can either upgrade the *tmw files directly or the *tmx (1.4b) exports (in this case you have to open TWB, export as *tmx first).

You might get a sort of error message telling you that there is no user ID, so open TWB and create an user ID. The upgrade wizard is pretty user-friendly, but don't be surprised if the upgrading takes for ever.

Once you have upgraded your memories you can use them in Studio. Normally, I don't create a project, I simply click on the Editor button and then on Import file. Once the file is imported, I click on the memory button and on add and add all the TMs I want to.

Once you have added your TM(s), go back to the Editor view and matches (if any) are shown in the field just above that of the translation.

Giuliana

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 19, 2009

Hello Giuliana

Thank you so much for your kind reply.
I have indeed updated my memories sucessfully some time ago.

I am just trying to figure out how you know a memory is active when in the editor window.

Jessie

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Oops, sorry, it wasn't clear Oct 19, 2009

Hello Jessie,

sorry, I didn't understand that you had already upgraded them.

Simply click on the memory button and see which TM is listed (and how it behaves, i.e. reference only, search & update, can be changed checking or unchecking check-boxes). You can also add/remove further TMs clicking on the + symbol.

The name of the TM is also shown on top of the displayed units in the Editor window (... I think, I haven't Studio installed on this PC, and never took a closer look at that, as I alway check the other way)

Giuliana

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 19, 2009

Hi Giuliana

Thanks you for your additional reply.
I have printed it and will try the way you utilize it.

Jessie

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Check out the webinairs Oct 19, 2009

To any of you who are feeling a bit lost with Studio, watching the webinairs is a good way of seeing what the program is all about.

[Edited at 2009-10-20 00:59 GMT]

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for replying Oct 19, 2009

Hello Joel

Thank you for your opinion.

Jessie

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Webinars helpful Oct 20, 2009

Hi Joel

Thanks for the suggestion.
I will try to catch the next one.

Jessie

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
You may also download prerecorded webinars! Oct 20, 2009

If you don't want wait for the next one, there are also pre-recorded ones available for download from the SDL website.

Since it's not a live session, you cannot ask question during the Q&A session (but you can hear answers!)...Watching a recorded webinar, you will surely prepare your questions for the next live session.

Hope this helps!
RR

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
webinar at SDL site Oct 22, 2009

Hello Renato

Thank you for your suggestion.
I will visit the site again.

Jessie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conceptual Trados question

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search