Trials and tribulations with Studio 2009 SP1 - My two cents
Thread poster: Rebeca Larios
Rebeca Larios  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:32
English to Spanish
Oct 18, 2009

As all of us, I was eagerly waiting for SP1. So I downloaded it the very first day it was available and installed it according to SDL's instructions.

At first everything seemed to be going right, but when I tried to create a new project Studio didn't generate it (three Excel spreadsheets containing about 1000 words) - waited for an hour and nothing. After rebooting my computer, I was unable to start Studio - I got every strange error in the book.

Then I restored my computer to the earliest point available, but my antivirus (Mcafee) went insane, as well as Word and Excel. Uninstalling Studio did not help...

(Picture my horror at that point)

I went to the forums and found several workarounds for all these problems (delete temp files, do this and that with the registry...). I implemented them all with no success.

After losing a full day and a half of my time and a good amount of sanity, I would STRONGLY suggest anyone to uninstall the previous version of Studio with Windows Install Cleanup, and then proceed with the installation of SP1. I guess that's the ticket

I really like Trados, and Studio is pretty neat, but at this point my relationship and my feelings towards it are similar to wearing stilettos: sure they're neat, but they can be a big pain...

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 02:32
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Right, or remove all components and clean the registry from the beginning Oct 18, 2009

Hello Rebeca,

sorry to hear about your troubles, I can picture the horror moment neatly - had some myself with some other software in the past.

You are not the first colleague mentioning a system restore in connection with Studio issues, but a system restore is the last thing I'd do when stumbling on problems, issues, troubles and technical headaches, as a sys restore might be a source of bigger headaches. For sure the install cleanup is the treatment for those cases.

You don't have to use the install cleanup, if you had no error message during the installation process, i.e. no corrupt files. I had Studio on Vista and didn't use any install cleanup to uninstall Studio & MultiTerm 2009, but did remove all components and cleaned manually the registry (the *SDL* folder, not the *SDL International*, which is that of Suite 2007) before installing SP1 and I did uninstall and install it various times (no technical problems, simply wanted to). It took a while to have all set and neatly removed, but then the installation went on and thru very smoothly.

Giuliana

Puerto Rico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I guess the problem are the instructions... Oct 18, 2009

Hi Guiliana,

The problem is that nowhere in the e-doc for the installation instructions is mentioned that you should uninstall the previous version, in fact the document says that you should just proceed and install SP1, which obviously causes all these problems.

As I've seen I'm not the only one pulling hair and stuff because of this. Hopefully SDL will correct the installation e-doc to state that is necessary to do a full, clean uninstall of the previous version.

Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
Member (2008)
French to English
But... Oct 18, 2009

SDL are saying that you don't need to uninstall the original version, simply run the "SP1" installation file - it's not a real "SP", just a new version of the application, AFAIK.
SDL also say that all existing TMs, Termbases and settings created under T2009 are retained during the installation of "SP1", which would not be the case if you manually remove the original application first.

Guiliana, you didn't use a cleanup utility but it seems like you did the cleaning up yourself. Was this using Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs?

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Regedit Oct 18, 2009

Hello Simon,

I know that, but it does seem that various colleagues had troubles.

I have used the add/delete programs function and then run regedit in order to clean the registry.

Giuliana

Puerto Rico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
a recipe for disaster Oct 18, 2009

Simon,

I used the more "aggressive" means to uninstall my previous version of Studio, and even the list of previous projects I've finished was there when I installed SP1. Losing the settings would be the least of my problems, compared with plain and simple being totally unable to use the software.

I have to say that this new version is way more stable, and the improvements are quite clever and useful.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Way, way more stable so far Oct 19, 2009

I had completely given up on Studio since it crashed each time I wanted to use it.
But I've worked over the whole week-end with Studio SP1 and I haven't experienced one single crash. I hope it's not just because of the project I'm working on and it will stay that way with other projects too. Because I'm quite impressed with Studio when it doesn't crash.

I updated it according to SDL's instructions and everything went fine here.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Everything Search plus CCleaner Oct 19, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:
I have used the add/delete programs function and then run regedit in order to clean the registry.

When I want to remove a program completely, I also make use of its own uninstaller, but then I do two things more: I search the hard drive using Everything Search to remove left-over configuration and user files, and then I run CCleaner's registry cleaning function, which identifies old and invalid registry entries in one swoop.

* Everything Search: http://www.voidtools.com/ (this is not your usual search tool -- read the instructions to save yourself some grief).
* CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/ (also useful for stuff like reducing startup applications, deleting unnecessary restore points, and clearing out your temp files).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trials and tribulations with Studio 2009 SP1 - My two cents

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search