Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Great review of SDL Studio AutoSuggest feature
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 01:04
English to Portuguese
Oct 19, 2009

Hello

I have always been a great enthusiast of the AutoSuggest feature of Studio 2009, which increased my produtivity as much as 30%, depending on the "richness" of the translation memories available.

I came to this is place in the Internet, where AutoSuggest is being reviewed as a most valuable feature:

http://xenotext.blogspot.com/2009/10/autosuggest-translating-in-higher-gear.html

The report even mentions downloadable AutoSuggest dictionaries, what is something I've never heard of...

People who's never heard of it, or never tried, should check it out...icon_smile.gif

Best regards

Edric

[Edited at 2009-10-19 19:28 GMT]

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
Positive news from SDL Trados Oct 19, 2009

Hi Edric

Thanks for this interesting bit of info.

For some reason I'm plagued by continuous trouble in connection with Trados. Looking through the fora one can easily see that I'm not the only one. I'm on the verge of switching to Wordfast and now here you are telling me Studio is the best thing since sliced milk.

I've actually bought Studio 2009 (it was only 150 CAD as an upgrade), but for fear of losing a day or two repairing my computer configuration (again) and a few years of my life expectancy because of related fits of anger I haven't installed it yet. Or rather, I did, but the activation did not work, so I gave up there and then to spare me above mentioned consequences. I even tried to get my money back, but that would have required returning the licence, which, as you can probably guess, also did not work, so I gave up on that as well.

I would be pleased to hear whether there were any other problems, especially in connection with the reliability of all functions and the databases. Three times I lost a TM through database corruption simply by using the regular features of Trados. Normally that should be sufficient reason to kiss this piece of **** goodbye, no? But I'm intrigued by the AutoSuggest function, I must admit.

Would appreciate your - or anyone else's - response.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 07:04
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Just a question Oct 19, 2009

Can you open and edit autosuggest files. What happens if there are misspelled words in your TM, and these are directly imported to the autosuggest file?

-------------------
Answer found in SDL Trados Studio Online Help
Entries cannot be edited but they can be deleted.

[Edited at 2009-10-19 23:56 GMT]

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
No complaints after SP1... Oct 20, 2009

For some reason I'm plagued by continuous trouble in connection with Trados...I'm on the verge of switching to Wordfast and now here you are telling me Studio is the best thing since sliced milk...

Well, before SP1, the thing was really wild...icon_smile.gif

But now, every installation we have on the company works great, more than 10 licenses on every kind of OS and hardware.

But we don't fight the software: if it is not working OK on a certain machine, there's something weird with the machine, not with Studio. We reformat the drive, clean install of Windows (either XP, Vista or Seven, 32 and 64-bit, depending on the license we have for it), update with all mandatory and non-mandatory patches available at Microsoft, install Office, install Studio. It works great. The culprit was certainly some software that messed up with files Studio uses, like DotNet Framework, Visual C++ runtimes, whatever.

Never failsicon_smile.gif

Best regards

Edric

[Edited at 2009-10-20 01:17 GMT]

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I just recreate the dictionary after some time... Oct 20, 2009

Can you open and edit autosuggest files. What happens if there are misspelled words in your TM, and these are directly imported to the autosuggest file?

No, you cannot edit, neither AutoSuggest (AS) updates itself on the fly, since it has to apply a complex algorithm to the whole memory. It is a batch thing.

I don't mind that, since I keep the dictionary up to date recreating it from time to time. Everytime I catch something weird in the suggestion I switch to the Translation Memories Pane, batch-edit all occurrences, switch back and resume the translation. Some time later I make a break and delete the current AutoSuggest dictionary, recreating it from the updated memory. Works great: the memory gets better, and I get more accurate suggestions, updated with the current "style"...icon_smile.gif

Don't take too long, since I use a pretty fast machine.

Regds

Edric

[Edited at 2009-10-20 01:27 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 07:04
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
AutoSuggest or AutoType Oct 20, 2009

Actually I did not like the idea behind AutoSuggest, it seems that it will suggest the same words all the time which will result in a boring, machine-like translation. If I want to use synonyms it will not help me; e.g. if I type ''in' it will recommend 'information' but not 'knowledge'. And it may be helpful, only if I can remember the first 2 letters of a word; otherwise it will not suggest any terms.

AutoSuggest should display the suggestions in a separate window, and then, when we start writing the first two letters it may (auto)type it for us.

MemoQ creates such suggestions on-the-fly. Creating and re-creating AutoSuggest dictionaries take a considerable time, in particular with large translation memories.

Trados Studio has some great features, but in my opinion AutoSuggest is not the best of them.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
MemoQ expensive? Oct 20, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

MemoQ creates such suggestions on-the-fly.

I've heard good stuff about MemoQ, but there is a hefty price tag. How did it pay off for you?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:04
Italian to English
AutoSuggest isn't a translator Oct 20, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Actually I did not like the idea behind AutoSuggest, it seems that it will suggest the same words all the time which will result in a boring, machine-like translation.

Hi Selçuk,

I wouldn't have thought so.

AutoSuggest is a time-saving feature, not a translation generator. I wouldn't want a built-in thesaurus to suggest synonyms while I am typing a word I have already settled on but if I can insert my selected word with two keystrokes instead of ten, so much the better.

A thesaurus-type tool might be useful when you are reviewing a translation but even then the reformulation of notions generally involves more than just changing individual words.

On the other hand, I suppose the benefits of AutoSuggest might be less significant with an agglutinating language like Turkish.

Giles

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:04
Spanish
+ ...
Autosuggestion = Inteligent AutoText (AutoType) Oct 20, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Actually I did not like the idea behind AutoSuggest, it seems that it will suggest the same words all the time which will result in a boring, machine-like translation.

I agree with Giles. Autosuggestion is more like an intelligent autotext feature. It doesn't suggest terms unless the first letter is entered. Since sometimes the fingers are faster than the conscious brain, by the time the second or third letter is entered, the corrects suggestion pops-up as the first choice so you can just press Enter. And this works both for terms and phrases.

For instance, just now the phrase 'for more information' was in my source document and was part of my autosuggest dictionary as 'para más información'. I just had to type ''pa'' and the correct translation popped up. So that's 3 keystrokes (pa + Enter) versus 20 keystrokes in 'para más información''.

[Edited at 2009-10-20 06:52 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados X MemoQ x Transit Oct 20, 2009

All of these three offer features to speed up the translation process and increase the translation consistency. And it is the consistency that I would highlight as the primary aim, not the speed.
Selcuk, AutoSuggest, target fuzzy or whatever you call them, none of them is suitable for creative translation, such as belletry or advertising lingo, but they are all extremely useful in technical translation.
Although I don't have any experience with the similar feature in MemoQ, I understand that MemoQ and StarTransit have adopted a more flexible approach with creating subsegment matches as you translate. In Transit NXT, this is working nicely, but usually requires longer sentences. AutoSuggest needs to be re-generated from time to time as your TM grows, but generates a wider range of subsegment matches.
To sum it up, I don't think any of the subsegment matching technologies are better: they are different.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Are autosuggest dictionaries only one-way? Oct 20, 2009

Can anyone tell me whether the SDL autosuggest dictionaries
http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/autosuggest-download.asp
are one-way only?

I mean, would the English - Spanish one only work for translating into Spanish?
Or can I toggle the target and source somehow?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
One-way Oct 20, 2009

Hi Emma,
AFAIK, they are one-way only. To create an AS dictionary for the opposite direction, you will first have to swap the TM langauges and then create a new AS dictionary from that.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
thanks Oct 20, 2009

To create an AS dictionary for the opposite direction, you will first have to swap the TM langauges and then create a new AS dictionary from that.

thanks for the info, Stanislav

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
this autosuggest feature was suggested to many tool vendors years ago Nov 21, 2009

I suggested this type of suggest/completion feature for the level of word and also of segment/phrase at a translation industry conference in 1999 where there were several TM vendors in the room.

It was a conference presentation during which I explained this point in more detail, but the published conf paper is at:

http://www.transref.org/default.asp?docsrc=/u-articles/allen2.asp
see section: Future Opportunities for Improving Authoring Environments (the section before the conclusion)
paragraph 2

It was based on experience of having already implemented such a feature several years before. In the presentation I told them all to try and implement it, but to do it right. And warned them that if I was to write up a review of their software product later on, I would be far from forgiving for a poor implementation. Quite a few people chuckled when I said that as there was a good representation of the tool vendors at that time in the audience.

Over the years, I have had a number of requests about how to do it, even the last request about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago.

And as stated higher in this thread, the main point about such a feature is "consistency" and also typing error-reduction. It is not meant to be a feature for stylistic creativity, but one to improve memory recall, to reduce keystrokes, and reduce the number of typing errors

Jeff

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
My expeirence of AutoSuggest Nov 21, 2009

It took me five months to gain the right hand-eye coordination skills, but now that I have, I'm very happy with AutoSuggest. Early on, I found it to be more a distraction than an aid.
I'm working on what is probably the best type of job for AutoSuggest--a huge electrical parts catalog with a very large termbase. It's going a lot faster than I'd anticipated.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Great review of SDL Studio AutoSuggest feature

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search