Thread poster: Astrid vanBeek

Astrid vanBeek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 20, 2009

Hi,
Finally took the plunge and upgraded to Studio 2009.
I have not actually translated a file yet, but when working in Word (with 2007 Freelance) I got the error message 'compile error in hidden module MT Multiterm Menu' in a pop-up when closing my program.
Maybe it has nothing to do with Trados, maybe it is only MT, but I have no clue where to begin.
On the Microsoft site they refer to VB basic errors, but I would not know what I can and cannot do.
Anyone had the same error? or suggestions for a solution?

Thanks!!
Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 10:02
Member (2009)
German to English
Yes, I have the same problem Oct 20, 2009

Hi, Astrid,

The problem also occurs on my system. (See post of Oct 19: Problems with Trados Suite 2007 + MT 2009 SP1). I don't have a solution I'm afraid, but it would be interesting to know what your operating system is.

Rgds,
Roy

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe it's Vista? Oct 20, 2009

Hi Roy,
The problem occurs both on my desktop (Vista Ultimate) and my laptop (Vista Home premium). Maybe it does have something to do with VB in Word?
Hope there are people in this forum that have more knowledge on it then I do

Astrid

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
KB Articles Oct 20, 2009

Hi both,

There are a couple of articles on the SDL Knowledgebase that may be worth reading;

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2086&p=1

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1466&p=1

I think the first one may be the most relevant, but if they don't help come back and we can try something else.

Kind regards

Paul
SDL Support

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is within Word and the way it communicates with TRADOS' macro's Oct 21, 2009

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the advice!
I read the articles but they seem to apply to problems with Workbench and Word 2007.
I work with Word 2003 and it occurs when there is nothing else opened than Word.

I have a feeling it has to do with the Multiterm macro and the way it is supposed to be handled by Word.
When I open the program I get the pop-up: 'compile error in hidden module Autoexec'
and when I close Word I get 'compile error in hidden module MTMultitermMenu' .
So it almost looks like the start of MT is not going as expected?

Anyway, I will keep googling and if someone can help: THANKS!!

Astrid

United Kingdom
English
Have a go anyway Oct 21, 2009

Hi Astrid,

I think it would be worth you giving this a try, particularly the advice in the first article. It is also about the MultiTerm templates. MultiTerm7.dot & MultiTerm7.dotm that may have become corrupt.

If you haven't had any success with anything else so far, it won't hurt. Certainly it's hard to decide where to help next if we can't rule this one out and I know the SDL Support team would start here first.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
Not a solution for me, unfortunately Oct 21, 2009

Hi, Astrid, Paul,

I tried both of the solutions quoted in Paul's reference articles, but both had no effect at all. I might add that I have a 64-bit Vista system and that the direct entry of terms from Word 2007 using Trados Suite never worked either.

It's the loss of a useful functionality, particularly as the Suite WB is needed for bilingual Word files.

Rgds,
Roy

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried it, didn't work Oct 22, 2009

Ok, Paul
I did try it but I had none of the files that were mentioned in the solutions.
Then...
I tried the 'Holmes' approach.
Deduction.
If the problem is pertaining on Word and Multiterm and I never had a problem before I upgraded to Studio 2009, it must be connected to the 'new' modules, right?
What is there now that was not there before?
The Multiterm add-in for Word!!

So I uninstalled it and YES, the pop-up disappeared.

I probably cannot use MT 2009 with the 2007 Workbench/Word config anyway, and I will be gradually shifting to Studio 2009 (as long as my workflow allows the initial decrease in speed)
So I figure this is the best 'workable' solution.

But I am really disappointed that a product for which I paid such an amount of money , does not allow developers to come up with fast solutions to this (foreseeable) problem.
Thanks!

Astrid
PS.
First obstacle for Studio: How can I increase the viewing size of the text?
My eyes need 150% at least!

United Kingdom
English
Another Suggestion Oct 22, 2009

Hi Astrid,

I have another suggestion passed onto me by one of our Support Engineers who saw a similar issue earlier in the week.

It seems that this problem could be related to the fact, that MultiTerm 2007 is not uninstalled correctly and the MultiTerm template for Word is referring to the old version of MultiTerm or to some old files from MultiTerm 2007. He had to clean the registry and then reinstall MT 2009; this fixed the problem.

It would be useful to know if you uninstalled MT 2007 and then directly installed MT2009 SP1, as oppose to going from 1.0 to SP1? Just to help us narrow down the reason for the problem.

The clean up to fix this problem would be this;

Uninstall MT 2009 SP1, delete all MT folders under these two locations;

>Program Files>SDL
>Program Files>SDL International>MultiTerm 2007

Then delete the keys in the registry entries

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Trados>MultiTerm
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Trados>MultiTerm

And if possible

>Users>[USERNAME]>AppData>Roaming>SDL>SDL MultiTerm (VISTA)
>Documents and Settings>[USERNAME]>Application Data>SDL>SDL MultiTerm (XP)
>Program Files>Common Files>SDL>MultiTerm8

Then reinstall MT2009 SP1.

I hope this is of more help, but if not please let me know and we can arrange a webex to take a better look at your machine

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:11 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Viewing Size of the Text Oct 22, 2009

Astrid vanBeek wrote:

First obstacle for Studio: How can I increase the viewing size of the text?
My eyes need 150% at least!

Quicker response for this one. Simply go to "Tools>Options>Editor>Font Adaptation" and you can change the size of the font to suit.

Regards

Paul

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 23, 2009

That was quick!
I will get back on the other issue, when I have another window of time to get into it!

Astrid

Jan Dolejs
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Performed all the steps but did not help Nov 3, 2009

Hi Paul,

I tried performing all the steps you have described but the problem persists, i.e.:

Originally, I had SDL Trados 2007/MT2007 on my machine. Upon the installation of SDL Trados 2009/MT2009 (I installed directly the SP1 versions of both products), I had to uninstall MT2007 -- I did it via Add/Remove Programs..

MS Word 2003 reports the 'Compile error in hidden module: MTMultiTermMenu' error both on start and exit.

Found your suggestions here and uninstalled MT2009 SP1, deleted all the MT folders manually and cleaned up the registry, i.e. the keys you are referring to. Then I installed MT2009 again ..and received the same error.

..by deleting the "MultiTerm8.dot" from the Word 2003 startup template folder I can avoid the error but then -- having to use the Word 2003 + Workbench 8 (+ MT2009) setup -- I am not able to use the Quick Entry Form to add terms directly or run any other function from the SDL MultiTerm menu within Word as all of the menu items cause the error to show up.

Please, should you have any more ideas I would be more than willing to try them out.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Regards,
Jan

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Astrid,

I have another suggestion passed onto me by one of our Support Engineers who saw a similar issue earlier in the week.

It seems that this problem could be related to the fact, that MultiTerm 2007 is not uninstalled correctly and the MultiTerm template for Word is referring to the old version of MultiTerm or to some old files from MultiTerm 2007. He had to clean the registry and then reinstall MT 2009; this fixed the problem.

It would be useful to know if you uninstalled MT 2007 and then directly installed MT2009 SP1, as oppose to going from 1.0 to SP1? Just to help us narrow down the reason for the problem.

The clean up to fix this problem would be this;

Uninstall MT 2009 SP1, delete all MT folders under these two locations;

>Program Files>SDL
>Program Files>SDL International>MultiTerm 2007

Then delete the keys in the registry entries

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Trados>MultiTerm
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Trados>MultiTerm

And if possible

>Users>[USERNAME]>AppData>Roaming>SDL>SDL MultiTerm (VISTA)
>Documents and Settings>[USERNAME]>Application Data>SDL>SDL MultiTerm (XP)
>Program Files>Common Files>SDL>MultiTerm8

Then reinstall MT2009 SP1.

I hope this is of more help, but if not please let me know and we can arrange a webex to take a better look at your machine

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-22 14:11 GMT]

United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No improvement when uninstall/install performed Nov 3, 2009

Hi Paul,
I also tried the suggestions you made with uninstall/install, with the same result as Jan.
My set-up was Trados 2007 with Word 2003.
When installing Studio 2009 and MT 2009, the install wizard asked me if MT 2007 was to be uninstalled and I said 'yes', so it should have been done according to the values in the program.

I am just sticking with the set-up Trados Studio 2009 and Word 2007 now, and will use the old only when a customer asks for it, without MT.

If I had more time at hand I would have loved to go in further, but alas... I have to make sure that I can earn back my new investment

Thanks for helping!!
I will keep an eye on this posting to see if you can come up with a solution without me.
Astrid

Maureen Wilkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
same problem Nov 12, 2009

Hi everyone
I have been having the same problem as described here. This thread has been very useful. I still haven't got the problem completely cracked, but at least it goes away when I remove the Multiterm8.dotm template from my Word Startup folder.

Before doing that, I tried the fix in Paul's Oct 20 post i.e. removing normal.dotm and replacing the Trados8.dotm and Multiterm8.dotm, but it didn't work.

I am running Office 2007 (successfully for at least 6 months) and installed Studio 2009 SP1, after upgrading from Trados Freelance 2007 to Freelance Suite 2007.

I will try the other solution regarding uninstall when I've got more time, and will let you know if that fixes my problem.

Kind regards
Maureen

Saša Jovanović  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2007)
German to Serbian
+ ...
Use the side by side tools from article 2947 Nov 28, 2009

Use the side by side tools from article 2947 on http://talisma.sdl.com/ to reregister Multiterm 2009 SP1.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-28 23:14 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2009-11-29 08:24 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word error: 'compile error in hidden module MT Multiterm Menu'

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search