Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - Error: Culture ID 4096 not supported
Thread poster: Markus Paetzel
Markus Paetzel
Markus Paetzel
Local time: 13:32
English to German
Oct 20, 2009

Hello,

I hope someone can tell me, what I'm doing wrong...

I've upgraded to Studio 2009 SP1 on the weekend and everything went smoothly. I was able to complete my current translation projects but I've encountered a problem today when creating a new one:

When I'm trying to create a new TM (within the 'New Project' wizard or on the Translation
Memory page) I'm getting the following error directly when starting the creation (no window for settings etc.
... See more
Hello,

I hope someone can tell me, what I'm doing wrong...

I've upgraded to Studio 2009 SP1 on the weekend and everything went smoothly. I was able to complete my current translation projects but I've encountered a problem today when creating a new one:

When I'm trying to create a new TM (within the 'New Project' wizard or on the Translation
Memory page) I'm getting the following error directly when starting the creation (no window for settings etc. appears):
"Culture ID 4096 (0x1000) is not a supported culture. Parameter name: culture"

Though the repair function allowed me to "switch" my language settings (I only need English and German), the error still exists.

Anyone got an idea? As a workaround I'm able to copy an old 'dummy'-TM created for analyzing-purposes and use this as TM for the project, but why can't I create a new one?
During installation/upgrade all prerequisited installed correct and I've had no issues either...

Thanks for you help!
Collapse

Markus Paetzel
Markus Paetzel
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Solution from SDL Support Oct 21, 2009

Hello,

after some correspondence with a really nice SDL support member, we've figured out, what causes the problem:
First of all they were able to recreate the problem themselves, so it's no complete mystery any more.

The point is, that there's a custom culture (with No. 4096) defined on my system. I haven't done this by myself, but from the naming it appears to be a "feature" from a Nokia application. Trados Studio 2009 SP1 doesn't recognize this custom culture a
... See more
Hello,

after some correspondence with a really nice SDL support member, we've figured out, what causes the problem:
First of all they were able to recreate the problem themselves, so it's no complete mystery any more.

The point is, that there's a custom culture (with No. 4096) defined on my system. I haven't done this by myself, but from the naming it appears to be a "feature" from a Nokia application. Trados Studio 2009 SP1 doesn't recognize this custom culture and throws the mentioned error.
After all, removal of the custom culture should do the trick, but the SDL support member promised to include this in the next "hotfix/patch/service pack" where some other problem will be fixed, also.
I've currently not been able to remove this weird Nokia-culture, but received a detailed instruction how to - but there seem's to be some service/process left, that uses the culture causing the trouble.

If anyone of you also has problems with such custom cultures, he/she can contact me, so I can maybe help with removing it - but as I myself am trying right now, I cannot guarantee for other programs, that installed this culture.

I'll send another update, when I have succeeded in creating Translation Memorys regularly again.

Thanks for your open ear!
Collapse

Ryan Pesigan Reyes
Ryan Pesigan Reyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:32
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Error: Culture ID 4096 not supported Nov 2, 2009

Dear Sir,

Can you give me the text of what the SDL support member suggested on how to remove the Nokia custom culture 4096. I too encounter this problem and am seriously thinking of returning this SDL Trados Studio 2009 software. Support is almost non-existent for the big conglomerate of SDL. I feel that I have been scammed by SDL.

Markus Paetzel
Markus Paetzel
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Unregistering custom culture with PowerShell Nov 2, 2009

Hello Rize,

I'm sorry to hear that you have that annoying problem, too.

First of all you schould have Windows PowerShell on your system for the necessary steps. AFAIK it should be available freely on the Microsoft Website for all OS from XP onwards... (probably installed on your system already)

So here's a summary of what the SDL support member told me to do:

--- instructions by SDL support member following ---

"With that [PowerSh
... See more
Hello Rize,

I'm sorry to hear that you have that annoying problem, too.

First of all you schould have Windows PowerShell on your system for the necessary steps. AFAIK it should be available freely on the Microsoft Website for all OS from XP onwards... (probably installed on your system already)

So here's a summary of what the SDL support member told me to do:

--- instructions by SDL support member following ---

"With that [PowerShell] you need to ensure that the Microsoft .Net assembly ("dll") which contains the special command to unregister a custom culture is properly loaded (all in one line):

> [System.Reflection.Assembly]::Load("sysglobl, Version=2.0.0.0, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, Culture=neutral")

You then need to find out the language code of the custom culture you want to unregister (I think you know this already),

> [System.Globalization.CultureInfo]::GetCultures(8)

This will display the custom culture names in the "Name" column. Next, you can use

> [System.Globalization.CultureAndRegionInfoBuilder]::Unregister("tl-PH-Nokia")

where the parameter between the double quotes is the custom culture name displayed by the previous command."

--- end of instructions ---

I hope you succeed... on my system the custom Nokia-culture seems to been in use and cannot be removed. But I've been busy with translation projects the last days, so I wasn't able to remove (all) the Nokia applications from my system to identify the one causing the trouble.

Perhaps you can also arrange to manually copy/paste some previous (near empty) TM for your projects and add it ad file-based Translation Memory while creating new projects - that workaround did the trick for me the last days...

I do hope, you can manage to get Trados Studio working again, as I generally think it to be a fabulous tool, but with some hillarious problems before SP1...

Feel free to contact me again, if I can be of further help!

Best regards,

Markus
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask for help in Nokia Nov 2, 2009

rize081476 wrote:
Dear Sir,
Can you give me the text of what the SDL support member suggested on how to remove the Nokia custom culture 4096. I too encounter this problem and am seriously thinking of returning this SDL Trados Studio 2009 software. Support is almost non-existent for the big conglomerate of SDL. I feel that I have been scammed by SDL.

Hello there,
I believe this is not a bug in Trados but rather in the Nokia application. So, you could perhaps try to ask the Nokia guys for help.
If you need support from SDL on any issues other than installation and licensing, you will need to have a PSMA.
At any rate, it is best practice to have one working computer with as few pieces of software installed as possible. You are then less likely to run into similar problems.

Markus Paetzel
Markus Paetzel
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It *is* a bug within Trados Nov 2, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

just to make it clear:
It *is* a bug in Trados Studio, as the support guy told me, they encountered the issue one during Beta testing but were not able to reproduce it then.
It seems to be a problem with any custom culture on the system as he told me!

But sure it'd be better to have a "clean", small translation system without any other stuff around...

I always try but end up with a bunch of stuff on my work-partition, too!
... See more
Hi Stanislav,

just to make it clear:
It *is* a bug in Trados Studio, as the support guy told me, they encountered the issue one during Beta testing but were not able to reproduce it then.

But sure it'd be better to have a "clean", small translation system without any other stuff around...

I always try but end up with a bunch of stuff on my work-partition, too!

Have a nice day,

Markus
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I see Nov 2, 2009

Markus Paetzel wrote:

Hi Stanislav,

just to make it clear:
Markus

I see, Markus; my bad. Thanks for sharing the info.

Younes Mostafaei
Younes Mostafaei  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 15:02
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Patch file! Jun 15, 2012

Hello everybody,

I had the same pesty problem. But finally I managed to shake it off by downloading and installing a patch file. It worked like a dream.
Please go to this page, download and install the file.
http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php/topic,50475.0.html
I hope it'll be of help.

Best regards,
Younes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 SP1 - Error: Culture ID 4096 not supported

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »