Thread poster: Cristina Halberstadt

Cristina Halberstadt  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:46
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2009

Hello:

I am working on a regular basis translating questionnaires for a company. As the questionnaires are quite similar, I created a specific Trados memory for this company and worked with it for some time. Nevertheless, I haven´t been able to use it with the last two files, the message I receive when opening the file with TagEditor is: "This Microsoft Document cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected". I use Windows Vista, can there be any relationship?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Steve Poynter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:46
German to English
Have you tried turning off track changes? Oct 21, 2009

Have you tried turning off track changes?

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Accept Oct 21, 2009

I have occasionally had this problem. I usually accept the changes, on the grounds that they are there for a purpose. But perhaps a good idea to check with the customer first. Then, as Steve says, turn off track changes.

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much but ... Oct 21, 2009

dear Peter and Steve,

Thanks a lot for your help, but I must admit that I hadn´t hear before of track changes. How can I do it? Moreover, I have been trying several things with the original word document and could open it with TagEditor when I converted it to a docx document. If I have worked with doc until the moment, would the memory work also for docx?

You can surely tell that I am NOT a translator of technical texts!!

Steve Poynter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Review > track changes Oct 21, 2009

In Office 2007, go to the review tab at the top and click on the large track changes button. I think(but am not sure) that if you change the view to 'final', as opposed to 'final showing markup', that you may be able to use the document in Trados without having to accept or reject the changes. Worth a try...

Trados 2007 Translators Workbench (and therefore the memory) works with .doc and .docx files in Word 2007.

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
And if you will find that your document has no Track changes activated... Oct 21, 2009

...You can force the Word filter in Trados to open the docs!

Go to ... SDL Trados 2007 > Trados > Filters > Filter Settings

Here click on "Word 2000-2003" and then on "Non accepted or rejected changes"...

On the right panel you will see a check box "Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes": select this check box, click con Save and the restart Trados.

This tme the doc should be opened!

RR

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally! Oct 22, 2009

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the idea, but I tried this and it did not work. And one more curious thing: when I converted the doc file into a docx file, there where some tables that were not detected by Trados, but the memory worked. Strange!

And thank you very much Renato,

I have followed your advise and the document was accepted without any problem and with all its tables. I hope that now my problem is solved forever!

Thank you all for your great help!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem while opening word files with Trados 2007

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search