Help: Manually uninstall Multiterm 2007
Thread poster: pzarych
pzarych
Local time: 12:40
Germanic(Other) to Polish
Oct 21, 2009

Hi,
my problem is that I have lost the files with uninstall instructions for SDL Multiterm 2007. I tried now to upgrade to 2009 Version but as you know it is not possible without unistalling Multiterm 2007. I tried all methods (deleting files, deleting some entries in the register) but I cant still find any solution.

I hope someone can give me any advice what should I do, which files/entries should I delete in order to manually uninstall/delete the multiterm 2007 and to install the new version 2009.
Thanks in advice

[Editado a las 2009-10-21 22:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Uninstall Process Oct 22, 2009

In Windows, go to "Start > Settings > Add or Remove Programs", click SDL MultiTerm 2007 and click "Remove". That should do it.

pzarych
TOPIC STARTER
That would be to easy Oct 22, 2009

Stanislav, thanks, but I think you didn't read that I have lost files with uninstall instructions, which means I cant do in the way you adviced me. I need exact instructions which entries should be deleted in order to enforce the setup of SDL 2009 to install the program. The Multiterm 2007 is now deleted but there are still informations somewhere in the system that block the installator of SDL 2009. I think there is some instruction in the setup that says "check if there is file/entry xyz", if yes, stop the installation. I assume, I should easily delete this entry or file and then the installation will start.

[Modificato alle 2009-10-22 18:20 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Cleaning Registry Oct 22, 2009

Hi again,
if you did uninstall MultiTerm and any components of it, you will have to clean the registry. I'm afraid this cannot be done manually or, better, it is not feasible in practice: MultiTerm stores quite a lot of information into various registry folders and items and searching the registry and deleting all MT records manually would take you days.
Google for some registry sweeper and have it delete any MT records.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Install MultiTerm 2007 again Oct 22, 2009

then go to "Software" (dodaj/usun programy) and uninstall it in this clean way.
Prior to doing so make backup copies of your termbases.
After having done that you can go to registry, open HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and delete the entries for Multiterm. You will find the entries under SDL International and possibly also under Trados.

Good luck
regards
Jerzy

PS
Deleting program files without uninstalling the program via control panel in Windows is a very bad habit.

pzarych
TOPIC STARTER
I tried it Oct 22, 2009

Jerzy that would be to easy, and I would not have asked you for help. I first lost or somehow deleted the uninstall files of Multiterm 2007. Everything was OK untill I tried to upgrade to 2009 version. I first tried to uninstall Multiterm 2007 via Windows/Setup/Add etc. which is normal procedure (Jerzy it is not my habit to delete software otherwise). But Windows could not locate the file needed to unistall Multiterm 2007. And that was the beginnig of the trouble. As I wrote I first tried to delete the registry entries - those listed by you too, but it did not help. Stanislav is right, there are so many MT entries that it would take days to delete all of them, so I thought, someone of you would know which entries are crucial.

Of course thanks for your advices....

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
If everything is too easy, simply reinstall your OS Oct 23, 2009

Otherwise proceed as Jerzy or I suggest. Anyway, you cannot realy tell which entries are crucial and which aren't. I'm definitely not a registry guru, so I would proceed with extreme cautiousness:
1. Create a Windows recovery point
2. Create a registry backup copy
3. Return all Trados licenses (and those of any other programs managed online)
4. Start playing with your registy.

pzarych
TOPIC STARTER
I did it Oct 23, 2009

Stanislav when I write "It would be to easy" I don't want to offend you. Sorry. I just mean that I tried these methods as first.
But I have a good news. I spent 6 hours on it yesterday but I found the solution. It did not help lot to delete random entries in registry. I analysed the setupe files and found finally the setup instructions in it. In my version I looked first into the file:
1. configuration.xml
you find there entries:
check_registry_value" path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}" fieldname="DisplayVersion" fieldvalue="8.0.56336" fieldtype="REG_SZ" comparison="match" uninstall="False" />

and then:

installcompletemessage="" mustreboot="False" optional="False" description="SDL MultiTerm 2007 SP1 Desktop" note="" package="#APPPATH\SupportFiles\SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop.msi" operation="/I" cmdparameters="/l*v "#TEMPPATH\SDL MultiTerm 2007 SP1 Desktop log.txt"">
installedcheck type="check_registry_value" path="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8302F817-9F82-40F2-8149-8BB50B0250F7}" fieldname="DisplayVersion" fieldvalue="7.51.448" fieldtype="REG_SZ" comparison="version" uninstall="False"

You have to delete both entries in registry.

Then I started the setup again. It stopped and I looked into the file SDL MultiTerm 2007 SP1 Desktop log.txt. You find it in Temp directory.

I analysed the text and looked where the program stops. There will be information that Setup looked in the registry. I cant quote it, because I now have another version of this file after installation. But you will have to delete the entry in registry where Setup is comparing versions and looking for *.msi file.

After that setup started and I could install SDL 2009.

Stanislav, Jerzy thanks for your advices and attention. And sorry for "to easy"

[Modificato alle 2009-10-23 08:45 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2009-10-23 08:46 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2009-10-23 08:48 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Glad it has worked Oct 23, 2009

Hi, don't worry, no offense taken.

I'm glad you have worked it out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Manually uninstall Multiterm 2007

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search