https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/148778-merge_segment_command_not_available_in_studio_09.html

Merge segment command not available in Studio 09
Thread poster: Ilianaqm
Ilianaqm
Ilianaqm  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Oct 21, 2009

Hi all,
I'm trying to merge 2 segments but I already had translated the text corresponding to the 2 segments I want to merge. I've tried the way recommended (highlight segments and while keepingthe control press down, right click. Well the 'merge segment command' is not active.
Things I've tried without any luck:
- Clear segment
- Changed segment status to 'not translated'
- Copy source to target
- deleted ranslation unit from TM

Any suggestions?
... See more
Hi all,
I'm trying to merge 2 segments but I already had translated the text corresponding to the 2 segments I want to merge. I've tried the way recommended (highlight segments and while keepingthe control press down, right click. Well the 'merge segment command' is not active.
Things I've tried without any luck:
- Clear segment
- Changed segment status to 'not translated'
- Copy source to target
- deleted ranslation unit from TM

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Iliana Quintero
Collapse

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:18
Italian to English
+ ...
reboot Oct 22, 2009

I have the same problem and the only way I could resolve it is to reboot. The only problem is that after about five minutes the problem re-emerges. In other words, in my case, it seems to be a memory problem that I don't know how to resolve.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:18
English
Check the Document Structure Information Oct 22, 2009

Hi Iliana,

It is worth checking the "Document Structure Information" first. This is an indicator on the righthand side of the target segment in the Editor. If you are merging Paragraphs, represented by a "P", then this will not be allowed. You can merge segments within a Paragraph.

If this is not the reason let me know and we can take a better look.

Kind regards

Paul
SDL Support

Ilianaqm
TOPIC STARTER
documnet structure and merging segments Oct 22, 2009

Hi Paul,
Thanks for offering more help. I need it.
Yes the 2 segments have the code 'P' and I had read about not being able to merge paragraphs. Oddly enough, in the ST they are part of the same paragraph. Any insights on why they both have the P code?
The ENG file is a pdf. Could this be the reason why Studio 'sees' each segment as a paragraph?

Would making the segment merging decisions a priory, on the ST, and modifying the doc prior to proceeding with CAT be
... See more
Hi Paul,
Thanks for offering more help. I need it.
Yes the 2 segments have the code 'P' and I had read about not being able to merge paragraphs. Oddly enough, in the ST they are part of the same paragraph. Any insights on why they both have the P code?
The ENG file is a pdf. Could this be the reason why Studio 'sees' each segment as a paragraph?

Would making the segment merging decisions a priory, on the ST, and modifying the doc prior to proceeding with CAT be the way to go? It seems that would be very time consumming! Especially with large files.

Is there a better way to get around this?
Thanks for helping this nephyte!
Iliana Quintero
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How do you can tell, that in source your text is in same paragraph? Oct 22, 2009

When source is PDF, Studio simply converts it to Word.
If there is a paragraph break in between, you will not be able to merge.
However, if you wanna merge segments, you MUST follow exactly the instructions.
To merge segments:
- Click EXACTLY (and only this!) the segment number of the first segment to merge
- Now hold the SHIFT key pressed and click EXACTLY the segment number of the last segment to merge.
You MUST NOT click the content of segments. Just click
... See more
However, if you wanna merge segments, you MUST follow exactly the instructions.
To merge segments:
- Click EXACTLY (and only this!) the segment number of the first segment to merge
- Now hold the SHIFT key pressed and click EXACTLY the segment number of the last segment to merge.
You MUST NOT click the content of segments. Just click the numbers, otherwise it will NOT work.
Collapse

Ilianaqm
TOPIC STARTER
In word, segments are part of same paragraph Oct 22, 2009

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hi Jerzy:
When I copy the pdf text and paste it into Word, the 2 segments appears as part of the same paragraph. So it seems that when Studio opens the same file (as a Word doc), it splits the paragraph into 3 (see below)

ST reads:
To protect our patients, their families and staff, please do not visit if you have or have had ANY of the following symptoms in the last 24 hours:

Studio splits as: (I show the code in the doc structure column in paren)
1. To protect our patients, their families and staff, please do not visit if you (P)

2. have or have had ANY of the following (p)

3. symptoms in the last 24 hours: (p). This last code is (and should be) (P)

So for some reason, Studio looks as if Studio is introducing 2 hard returns where it shouldn't.
Iliana

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
How to get around it Oct 22, 2009

Ilianaqm wrote:

Would making the segment merging decisions a priory, on the ST, and modifying the doc prior to proceeding with CAT be the way to go? It seems that would be very time consumming! Especially with large files.

Is there a better way to get around this?

Hi Ilianaqm,

I think that if you want to use the pdf filter, which as most people will tell you is probably a last resort because you are much better off with the source document, and when you do you find that every segment is marked as a Paragraph then you might be better trying a slightly different workflow.

In these cases where the pdf does not get represented very well, if you don't have a pdf conversion tool you can use Studio like this;

1. Open the pdf in Studio just as a document, don't spend time creating a Project
2. Save as source or target immediately

This will give you a word document to play with. Now you select all the text in word, clear all the formatting (or at least clear all the formatting where it makes sense) and then save the document as a new word file. Now tidy it up to make it look like the pdf and then translate it in Studio without all the poor formatting resulting from the pdf.

These are just my thoughts of course, using Studio and Word only. There are many very good tools out there for dealing with really poor pdf's.

Regards

Paul

Ilianaqm
TOPIC STARTER
Better off saving pdf as Word before using Studio Oct 22, 2009

Thanks Paul,
Yes I think I will stick with my old process and save my pdf as ST in Word.I'll let the print shop worry about formatting.
I tried it and it worked In fact, after opening the ST as .doc I can see the tags!

Humm, it is dissappointing to not be able to rely on the SDL pitch "We are the only ones with a package that can handle pdf's" or something like that.
However, not all pdf's are create
... See more
Thanks Paul,
Yes I think I will stick with my old process and save my pdf as ST in Word.I'll let the print shop worry about formatting.
I tried it and it worked In fact, after opening the ST as .doc I can see the tags!

Humm, it is dissappointing to not be able to rely on the SDL pitch "We are the only ones with a package that can handle pdf's" or something like that.
However, not all pdf's are created equal?

Thanks to all for your great help.
Have a wonderful day (or night, if you are far away).

Iliana Quintero
US - Colorado
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merge segment command not available in Studio 09

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »