Newbie Question: Trados Group buy - Installation & OS
Thread poster: Kay S
Kay S
United States
Local time: 15:02
English to Japanese
Oct 22, 2009

Hi, I am new to this, so please bear with me.
I signed up for Trados group buy, and I was told to make a payment by Friday, so I am getting a bit panicky...

I searched the past entries, but I could not find the answer to my questions... I am sorry if this has been asked already in the past (I am sure it has!).

My question is, does it work on Win7? I am planning to buy Win7 soon, and I want to install Trados on Win7.

If Trados is download only, if something goes wrong with my pc and I want to re-install Trados, can I download it again? How many times? How long can I access the installation files? To be honest, I am nervous to pay that much money for download only software... but I need it!

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Kay

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados Studio and Windows 7 Oct 22, 2009

Hi Kay

That is a lot to put on your plate in one go. Windows 7 is new and you're new to CAT, resp. Trados? Reserve a few days for learning, my dear.

But to your question: several colleagues have installed Trados on Windows 7. It usually worked, especially in Windows 7 32-bit. There are some problems with 64-bit Windows, expecially with MultiTerm, however, though things seem to have improved with Trados Studio Service Pack 1, which will probably be the version you are getting.

There will be a page reserved for you on www.translationzone.com where you will be able to download Trados as often as you like.

The real problem is the activation process. That has caused tons of issues and the support from SDL overall is really bad.

I recommend Win 7 32-bit, if you have that option and to get a support contract with SDL, at least for the first year. It's the only reliable way to get human support, which you will be needing.

The other option is to get a less problem-laden CAT tool, but that has other drawbacks.

It ain't easy, but it may be unavoidable. Learning how a CAT tool works is a good thing for your professional future, I think.

Good luck!

Kay S
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Oct 22, 2009

Thank you very much for your post, Marinus!
That was what I wanted to hear

I am going to buy Trados Plus and install it on my PC and laptop (two licenses). I wonder how the program is going to identify 1) me and 2) my PC and 3) my laptop.

Thanks for the tips re: support too!

I am going to go ahead and purchase Trados (with my husband's credit card.. hee hee).

Muchas Gracias! Domo Arigato!

Kay

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
English
Windows 7 and 64-Bit Supported Oct 22, 2009

Hi Kay,

Marinus is correct in that MultiTerm 2009 was the last component we resolved, but I can confirm that the 2009 suite of products will run happily in both Vista and Windows 7 environments and are all supported by us. There have been many posts to this effect on this forum and some users in particular have been very active in ensuring W7 64-bit in particular. See this post for example;

http://www.proz.com/post/1177916#1177916

If you do have any problems please report them here and we will be happy to help.

Kind regards

Paul
SDL Support

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
English to French
+ ...
Not always bad service Oct 22, 2009

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

The real problem is the activation process. That has caused tons of issues and the support from SDL overall is really bad.

I disagree with this. I've encountered problems with activation twice and despite the fact that I don't have a PMSA, the help I've received has always been quick and very efficient. SDL tech support in Chicago called me late in the evening (the only time slot I was available for a call that week) and solved my problem in a few clicks.

Yes, the activation process doesn't always go without problems. Antivirus programs, the Vista account management or a faulty installation, etc. can cause problems. But there are KB articles that describe solutions to common problems and if that's not enough, you can always report a case (that's what I did, twice).

Back to topic: I agree with you Marinus on the fact that time for learning is necessary. I suggest not taking on large Trados projects at the beginning. Take some time to get acquainted with the tool. And you might consider taking one (or two) of the online trainings offered here via ProZ.

You can download and redownload the software, no problem.

[Edited at 2009-10-22 08:07 GMT]

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 21:02
English to Portuguese
Go for it, never been so simple and easy!!!! Oct 22, 2009

I searched the past entries, but I could not find the answer to my questions... I am sorry if this has been asked already in the past (I am sure it has!).
My question is, does it work on Win7? I am planning to buy Win7 soon, and I want to install Trados on Win7.

Hi Kay

Go for it!!!! It is simple, it is easy, you just need to study the examples.

I started to use Trados almost ten years ago: never came close to a translation memory tool, and the agency hiring me just threw the CD and the dongle (license key recorded on a hardware thing that you attached to the parallel port of you PC) at me. I installed, studied for a couple of days and that's it. No genius at all, just did the lessons in the tutorials. That's nine years ago!!!! The self-study learning tools improved a great deal.

Since then I have been using Trados on Windows XP, Vista, Vista 64-bit and now Windows 7 64-bit, which works great with Studio SP1.

If you feel comfortable writing a Word document, installing sofware and following tutorials, and your PC is not a bloated, old machine, you can be productive in less than a week. Any doubts you put here.

You'll be amazed how simple it is...

On the other hand, if you don't feel at ease with computers and installation of software in general, it will take some more time, but you'll get there.

Get the software, install it on a good machine with all Windows updates (mandatory and non-mandatory) and practice on the tutorial. Remember that, on these times, no client will be waiting for you to go to any "Trados school"...

Take care

Edric

[Edited at 2009-10-22 12:37 GMT]

Kay S
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Oct 23, 2009

Thank you all for your comments.

I am pretty familiar with Windows products, so I am not worried there

I don't have any project that requires Trados right now, so I am going to play with it and get myself familiarized.

It's great to know there are so many experienced Trados users / experienced translators out there!

Cheers,

Kay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie Question: Trados Group buy - Installation & OS

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search