How can I select a target language for my Studio 2009 TMs without specifying a country?
Thread poster: Ilianaqm

Ilianaqm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Oct 22, 2009

Hi again,
Is there a way to select a basic target language without having to specify a country or region. I thought I had seen a choice for 'Spanish(America)' in some SDL TM. However, I do not have that choice in my language menu. Instead, I have several country specific ones. I asked the same question in the SDL training but the instructor did not understand what I was asking and blew me off.

Do I need to select all the Spanish sublanguages as defaults for my TMs to avoid future conflicts with imported/upgraded memories?

Thanks,
Iliana Quintero

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-28 12:24 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:30
English
Why Sublanguages? Oct 23, 2009

Hi Iliana,

Is there a way to select a basic target language without having to specify a country or region.

Basically, no. The reason for this is that Studio uses the MS Culture sets to apply autolocalisation against each language and these are sometimes different between sublanguages.

Do I need to select all the Spanish sublanguages as defaults for my TMs to avoid future conflicts with imported/upgraded memories?

No. You can just select the ones you work with as normal and if you need to import a TM with a different sublanguage later then you can use an option on the import settings called "Exclude Language Variants" and the sublanguage you import will be overwritten with the one you are importing to.

If it is important to keep this distinction between language variants then you wil have to keep all the sublanguages you work with.

I hope this helps?

Regards

Paul

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:30
Spanish
+ ...
Spanish (Spain) Oct 23, 2009

I had the same problem with my TMs. But I now all of them as set as EN>ES (Spain). I add the sub-language as a field value. In my opinion is much better because you can use the same TM but you can apply a penalty for the sub-language that you need.

TOPIC STARTER
SDL Studio 09 and sublanguages, my question is answered Oct 26, 2009

Paul and Claudia,
Thank you very much for your insightful help.
In my translation work, we are trying to utilize a 'generalist' Spanish in order to reach a wide audience of Spanish speakers. However, it is nice to know how to restrict queries to your TM's.

This is a great community, thanks for you willingnes to sahre your knowledge with the neophytes.
Kind regards,
Iliana

xxxjimmya
German to English
Reference TM in different sublanguage? Oct 28, 2009

I think I'm starting to understand the sublanguages now....

But if I'm working from German into US English, is there any way I can use my German -> UK English translation memory as a reference? One of the replies above suggests I can do this, with a match penalty, but I can't work out how.

Or do I have to import one memory into another?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

James

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:30
English to German
+ ...
TMs & sublanguages: Any help on this? Aug 22, 2010

Dear all,
any updates on jimmya/James' question? I would like to use EN-US TMs as reference TMs when working into EN-UK. At the moment it seems that this is not possible with Studio 2009.

How can SDL justify a backward step like this? This was no problem with Trados 2007.

Thanks.
-Mike-

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Tweak Aug 23, 2010

I use JP-EN TM as the main TM and TH-EN TM (not termbase) as the reference TM. This is basically possible since Trados continues to warn against my selection. I use Trados utility to convert the TH-EN TM to be read as if JP-EN TM to read successfully.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

TOPIC STARTER
"Tweaking" TM's so Studio can read memories with different sublanguages in the same porject? Aug 23, 2010

Soothon,
So let me see if I undertands how you "tweak'" TM's. You you convert your TH-EN TM in Trados so that it is read as JP-EN and then upgrade that JP-EN memory in Studio?

If this is what can be done, then I could export a Studio TM to open it in Trados, "tweak it" as you say and then go back and upgrade it using Studio again?

Thanks,
Iliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I select a target language for my Studio 2009 TMs without specifying a country?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search