Apple computer and Trados
Thread poster: laurtrad

laurtrad  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:07
German to French
Oct 23, 2009

I would like to buy a iMac but I don't know if Trados will work on it without using the windows feature.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-23 10:56 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-23 15:12 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
It will not Oct 23, 2009

Hi,
Trados will only run under Windows, so you will need to run Parallels to use Trados on a Mac.

Monica McGee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works great! Oct 23, 2009

Definitely run it on parallels, rather than bootcamp, which is the Mac feature that lets you boot up on either environment. In contrast, parallels lets you switch back and forth between environments with cmd+tab. They work seamlessly. Buy a Mac, you will not regret it.

Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Buy Windows too Oct 23, 2009

You will also have to buy Windows along with Parallels or Fusion.
But it works very well.

laurtrad  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
which advantage Oct 23, 2009

Thank you both for your messages.

But what would be the advantage for me to buy a iMac if I have to run Trados on windows anyway ?

Monica McGee  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mac vs PC Oct 28, 2009

I'm a Mac fan because of the stability it provides and it's simplicity of use. All the applications/peripherals are easy run/install. When I use Windows, under parallels, I don't get as many errors. I'm not sure if this is because I have a better processor in my Mac than in the PC I had. I'm running the same PC I had in my Mac now, so I didn't have to buy windows. I just "installed" my old computer there, fabulous! I use the Mac environment for all apps except for those that are not compatible with Mac such as SDL Trados and some other Sony apps I have. The best!

NJenkins
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
same boat! Jan 31, 2010

I'm in the same boat (sort of). I have a Mac and I'm looking at buying Trados. I have access to the parallels programme so I guess I have to buy a copy of windows now.

So before I do all that - is Trados really worth all that money?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Not in my part of the world... Jan 31, 2010

N_Brandsma wrote:

So before I do all that - is Trados really worth all that money?

MemoQ and some other cheaper tools will do quite the same job, and I will only mention the Java-based tools (Wordfast Pro, Heartsome, Swordfish) which will run on a Mac without having Parallels installed.

[Edited at 2010-01-31 20:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apple computer and Trados

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search