How to translate an Excel file with multiple columns
Thread poster: brittak
brittak
Local time: 16:30
English to German
+ ...
Oct 25, 2009

I have an Excel 2003 file I need to translate from English to German using Trados 2007.
The Excel file consists of the following columns:

- English
- German
- Category
- Text Length

The text I have to translate is in column "English". And my translation has to go into column "German". How would I do that as I don't want to overwrite the content in column "English"? How can I tell Trados which column to translate in?

And then I need to see the other two columns "Category" and "Text Length" while translating. They tell me which topic my translation is about and the max length of the translation I have to deliver. So I have to be able to see these two columns while translating.

How would you go translating such a file?

Thanks for your help!

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-25 12:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra Emberger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
2 options Oct 25, 2009

Option 1: You'll translate the file as in Excel and you don't get it into Trados.

Option 2: You translate with the TagEditor. When done you copy the translation to the coloum "German". While translating you have the original file displayed on your second monitor where you see the other 2 columns.

Bye,
Sandra

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:30
English to Latvian
no title Oct 25, 2009

The easiest way to translate an Excel file using Trados is to copy the text from the source (English) column to the target column (German), then hide all the non-translatable columns (English, Category, Text Length) leaving only the German column visible; when it's done, open the Excel file with TagEditor and translate it -- in such way you are telling it to translate only the German column. After cleaning up the translated TagEditor file, open the Excel file and unhide all the hidden columns. That's all.
Good luck!

Achim Herrmann
English to German
3rd Option Oct 30, 2009

You can also use a software localization tool like SDL Passolo. (Doesn't work with Essential!). It lets you define the columns for source and translation. In addition you can extract the text length into the project and automatically check the translation length.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate an Excel file with multiple columns

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search