SDL 2007 loops in tables with merged cells?
Thread poster: blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
English to Flemish
+ ...
Oct 25, 2009

Hello all,

I work under Vista (32 bits, don´t even know if 64 bits versions are available)...

This is not the first time I run into this problem....I am translating a technical manual that is mostly written in table form. Some of the cells of this table are merged or split up in order to make the lot more accessible.

As this is a recurring client, the TM I have built, is quite good and I think now covers about 60% of the translations I am carrying out...s
... See more
Hello all,

I work under Vista (32 bits, don´t even know if 64 bits versions are available)...

This is not the first time I run into this problem....I am translating a technical manual that is mostly written in table form. Some of the cells of this table are merged or split up in order to make the lot more accessible.

As this is a recurring client, the TM I have built, is quite good and I think now covers about 60% of the translations I am carrying out...should be a piece of cake...

Nevertheless, when I try to use the "translate to fuzzy" feature, Trados goes nicely through the text (table), until it meets (I think, but I am not absolutely sure!) one of these "strange" cells. Either it just returns back to the beginning of that part of the table - and that is the nicer option because I can proceed "manually"-, or it starts looping on the same cell. In the latter case, the only option I have is to kill the process...nothing else helps.....afterwards, the file is corrupted, and I have to start from scratch. Sometimes I even need to restart my computer as Word refuses to open.

The result is that I cannot proceed this way (the same thing happens when I try to pre-translate such files), and this is becoming really time consuming....

Has anybody met this problem, and - would even be better! - did you find a solution for this?

Many thanks in advance,

Stefan

[Edited at 2009-10-25 23:37 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:25
French to Polish
+ ...
TagEditor Oct 25, 2009

blomguib wrote:

This is not the first time I run into this problem....I am translating a technical manual that is mostly written in table form. Some of the cells of this table are merged or split up in order to make the lot more accessible. [...][/quote]

If you translate in Word, it's simply unreliable.
Swirtch to the TagEditor workflow.

Cheers
GG

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor Oct 26, 2009

Hello,

this happens quite often whenever tables are involved. I agree with Grzegorz, TE solves the problem. Still, if your TM is based on previous translations done in MSWord, the no. of matches might be lower, as TE segmentation is slightly different - or simply missing tags make the difference, the first time you translate in TE.

My impression is that TWB gets stuck in tables, when hard returns are missing at the end of tables - I admit that I haven't experimented wit
... See more
Hello,

this happens quite often whenever tables are involved. I agree with Grzegorz, TE solves the problem. Still, if your TM is based on previous translations done in MSWord, the no. of matches might be lower, as TE segmentation is slightly different - or simply missing tags make the difference, the first time you translate in TE.

My impression is that TWB gets stuck in tables, when hard returns are missing at the end of tables - I admit that I haven't experimented with my theory (and tried to add hard return) , as I choose TE without wasting any time, if I see that a file contains too many (and longer) tables.

Giuliana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2007 loops in tables with merged cells?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »