Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Windows 7 64bit and Trados 2007 / 2009 - does it work?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:40
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
update Dec 21, 2009

Just a quick update on Trados installaion on the Virtual PC / XP Mode - I managed to get it running, but somehow the License Manager application is inherited from the host and that causes troubles (it is not possible to use the license file on there).

Graeme Lorimer
Graeme Lorimer  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to Italian
+ ...
XP Virtualisation Dec 24, 2009

Beware that not all processors support XP Virtualisation, for example the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5 Ghz prior to May 2009 (mine unfortunately) does not support virtualisation, while the same model produced after that date does.
Before buying Win7 Professional because of XP Virtualisation, make sure you processor is Virtualisation friendly.

jyconte
jyconte
Local time: 04:40
Workbench won't reorganize a TM/Trados 2007 and Windows 7 64 bits Dec 29, 2009

Hi everybody,

Has any of you encountered that problem.

I use Trados 2007 suite freelance, with Office 2007, under Windows 7.

I have no problem on my laptop (same configuration), but on my desktop, if I want to reorganize a TM it doesn't work and the workbench closes. The events log of Windows point to TradosDatabase.dll.

Sometime I can reorganize with no problem??

Another thing is that if I want to translate a rtf file it doesn't s
... See more
Hi everybody,

Has any of you encountered that problem.

I use Trados 2007 suite freelance, with Office 2007, under Windows 7.

I have no problem on my laptop (same configuration), but on my desktop, if I want to reorganize a TM it doesn't work and the workbench closes. The events log of Windows point to TradosDatabase.dll.

Sometime I can reorganize with no problem??

Another thing is that if I want to translate a rtf file it doesn't saying that the file is used by another process. If I open the file with word and save it as a doc file, this new flie transltes without any problem. Atfter translating the doc file, if I try to translate again the same rtf file, it works!

A friend of mine has the same problems (same configuration). Why it works on my laptop and not on my desktop really surprises me.

Regarding the support of SDL I have read a lot on this forum about it. It is the worst possible. In June of this year I was able to find after a few hours an email for the support on the site, I was unable to register my licence (I had return it ashort while ago). I got an automated email with priority "medium". So far I didn't received any answer. Fortunately I was able to register again my licence (their server was surely down for some hours. In any case I think that it is unacceptable that if you don't pay there is no support even for problems related to the software. I don't see any reason why I should pay for the bad development of the software. No offense to Paul, but this is a bad company to say the least.

I hope somebody will have the answer to my problems,

Thank you in advance

Jean-Yves
Collapse

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
Italian to English
+ ...
Workbench won't reorganize a TM/Trados 2007 and Windows 7 64 bits Dec 29, 2009

I have exactly your same problems running Windows 7 64 bit and trados 2007. I'm sorry but I haven't found a solution yet.

Tejinder Soodan
Tejinder Soodan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:10
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Windows 7 64 bit and Trados 2007 Jan 29, 2010

I too am experiencing the same problems in Windows 7 64 bit - unable to reorganize TM in workbench and frequently getting errors about locked rtf file.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:40
Spanish
+ ...
Reorganizing problem, not a Trados 2007 + Win7-64bit bug per se Jan 29, 2010

To Tejinder and Richard,

I also have a Windows 7 64-bit system and I can reorganize even large TM's without any problems. As a matter of fact, I just reorganized a TM with 800,000+ TU in a little over 5 minutes with Trados 7 and Office 2003. So it's not a Trados 2007 problem in Windows 7 64-bit systems.

When you report a problem, you have to be very specific and include as much information as possible: the problem seems to be linked to Office, so what version are you ru
... See more
To Tejinder and Richard,

I also have a Windows 7 64-bit system and I can reorganize even large TM's without any problems. As a matter of fact, I just reorganized a TM with 800,000+ TU in a little over 5 minutes with Trados 7 and Office 2003. So it's not a Trados 2007 problem in Windows 7 64-bit systems.

When you report a problem, you have to be very specific and include as much information as possible: the problem seems to be linked to Office, so what version are you running? Do you have any other problems with Trados 2007?

Not so long ago, a very helpful colleague wrote a post about the need for information when posting a request for help. Without a minimum of information, you'll only get guesses.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Tejinder Soodan
India
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Reorganizing problem in Trados 2007 Jan 29, 2010

Thank you Claudia for your views.

I had been using same versions of Microsoft office, Trados 2007 and SDL Studio 2009 on Windows Vista 32 bit without any problem. After installing the same version of these and most of other softwares on my new Windows 7 64 bit system, whenever I try to reorganize a TM, even a new TM with 0 TU, workbenc close with an error.

I am still able to reorganize the same TM, in my old system which has same version of Trados and MS office.
... See more
Thank you Claudia for your views.

I had been using same versions of Microsoft office, Trados 2007 and SDL Studio 2009 on Windows Vista 32 bit without any problem. After installing the same version of these and most of other softwares on my new Windows 7 64 bit system, whenever I try to reorganize a TM, even a new TM with 0 TU, workbenc close with an error.

I am still able to reorganize the same TM, in my old system which has same version of Trados and MS office.

What is the version of Trados on your system. In my case it is 8.3.0.863.

I get the following error whenevr I try to reorganize a TM:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TW4Win.exe
Application Version: 8.3.0.863
Application Timestamp: 4877bd08
Fault Module Name: TradosDatabase.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.3.0.863
Fault Module Timestamp: 48778b2c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00006b87
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 16393

Any suggestions to resolve above error would be welcome.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:40
Spanish
+ ...
Just a guess Jan 29, 2010

Doing a forum search, the exception code c0000005 seems to be related to Office 2007. I don't really have an answer but if I had that problem, I would try to make sure all instances of Office 2007 are closed and I'd even re-install Office, just in case.

jyconte
jyconte
TM won't reorganize under Win 7 64 bits Jan 31, 2010

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Doing a forum search, the exception code c0000005 seems to be related to Office 2007. I don't really have an answer but if I had that problem, I would try to make sure all instances of Office 2007 are closed and I'd even re-install Office, just in case.

Hi Claudia,
If you read my post about this problem, just a few post above (dated Dec 28), you have all the information.

Hi Tejinder,

I don't think it is related to Office 2007, as I point out in my post, on my laptop (Trados Freelanec 2007, Win 7 64 bits, Office 2007) where I never installed Studio, I have no problem with the workbench, neither with translating rtf files. It is the same with a friend of mine that never installed studio. But another friend that installed studio (same configuration), has the problem, he cannot reorganize, or I should say he cannot all the time, as it works from time to time, and he cannot all the time translate a rtf file (file used by anotrher process, cannot close this segment..).

I have been trying trying everything, from turning off the User Account Control to using various settings in the workbench.

For the reorganisation, I have tried something that works the first time you reorganize, undersetup-Access right I put a password (Master and Reorganizing). If you try to reorganize another time it doesn't work???

After doing some thinking and reading a lot of psot everywhere, I come up with the conclusion:

- The code of a software is something settled, therefore the chances to have a random behavior is very remote if not impossible (I have been writting code in the past).
- It seems that the error "file used by another process" (or something similar), is a common issue with Win 7, and microsoft has no answer to that. The problem could be that the refresh doesn't work well (i.e. in Windows Explorer when you do a copy of a file, it doesn't appears immediately, and you have to press F5 to do a refresh). So it could be that a file is still in the cache. But there is no sure thing that it is the reason while interacting with Trados.

What is bothering is that the SDL support doesn't dare to answer to that, including all the guys from the support in those posts that answer to very simple questions but very few times to important issues.

Bottom line, SDL is not interested anymore in doing anything for Trados Freelance 2007. They want to kill it for Studio, which is not the best application in the market, not straight forward, and challenged by many other applications that have been doing what studio is doing since a while (Déja vue, and now MemoQ).

Jean-Yves Conte

Tejinder Soodan
India
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Solution for reorganisation issue Feb 5, 2010

Hi Jean

I hope Micorosoft will address the refresh issue in future updates for Windows 7.

I have found a solution for the reorganisation issue. I have installed Windows XP on VMware Player. VMware Player is a free virtual machine software which allows you to install a different operating system on a virtual machine within Windows 7. I installed Trados 2007 Suite in Windows XP virtual machine and it is running perfectly with reorganisation.

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganization problem with Trados 2007 and Win 7 Feb 6, 2010

Tejinder Soodan wrote:

Hi Jean

I hope Micorosoft will address the refresh issue in future updates for Windows 7.

I have found a solution for the reorganisation issue. I have installed Windows XP on VMware Player. VMware Player is a free virtual machine software which allows you to install a different operating system on a virtual machine within Windows 7. I installed Trados 2007 Suite in Windows XP virtual machine and it is running perfectly with reorganisation.

Hi Tejinder,

Microsoft is aware of the problem since at least early June last year (there are numerous posts about it) They didn't do anything so far.

If I think that might be the problem, I am still puzzled by the fact that on my laptop (Trados 2007, Win 7 64 bits) where I never installed Studio 2009, I don't have the problem??

As for Windows XP virtual machine, according to various posts and article, it doesn't work with all Intel processors. I guess your computer has a compatible processeur. Which one do you have? On the other end, some people in this forum mention a lot of problems with XP virtual machine and Trados.

Jean-Yves

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Solution/explanation Feb 9, 2010

Hi folks,

I've just had a very enlightening session with Gareth from SDL on this issue.

I use Studio 2009SP1 quite happily on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine but couldn't reorganise TMs in WB 2007.

Gareth's conclusion was that the problem is to do with registry access rights. I use Studio 2009 with a standard account, which works fine, but WB 2007 requires administrator privileges. I also have a Kaspersky AV program, which seems to block some WB routines.
... See more
Hi folks,

I use Studio 2009SP1 quite happily on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine but couldn't reorganise TMs in WB 2007.

Gareth's conclusion was that the problem is to do with registry access rights. I use Studio 2009 with a standard account, which works fine, but WB 2007 requires administrator privileges. I also have a Kaspersky AV program, which seems to block some WB routines.

In the end, Gareth's solution was to disable Kaspersky, turn off UAC, repair the WB installation and run "Register SDL Trados 2007" from the program directory. After turning UAC back on and re-enabling Kaspersky, WB 2007 seems to work, although it still has to be used with full administrator rights.

I hope this is of some use.

Giles
PS I should point out that this assistance was supplied under my PSMA.

[Edited at 2010-02-09 16:11 GMT]
Collapse

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganization with WB 2007 Feb 9, 2010

[quote]Giles Watson wrote:

Hi folks,

In the end, Gareth's solution was to disable Kaspersky, turn off UAC, repair the WB installation and run "Register SDL Trados 2007" from the program directory. After turning UAC back on and re-enabling Kaspersky, WB 2007 seems to work, although it still has to be used with full administrator rights.

I hope this is of some use.

Giles
PS I should point out that this assistance was supplied under my PSMA

Thanks a lot Giles,

I'll try that. What do you mean by repair the WB installation? uninstall/reinstall Trados suite 2007?

I posted a message (and sent an email) to Gareth with no success. Now I understand, you have a PSMA. I must say that I have an issue with the fact that a user has to pay extra for support when the problem is with the software developer. There is no reason to pay for bad development, I consider it a fraud. On the other hand I have no problem to pay for support related to the use of the product.

I am personally not so convinced about Studio, it takes time to be in business when starting a project (2 minutes with Trados Freelance 2007, 10 minutes with Studio before translating). It is not user friendly, and doesn't allow (but I am not sure about that) to work with the segments displayed horizontally (Trados style). It's always easier to look at segments one above the other (you can see easily both without moving the eyes) than to look laft and right all the time. It might be a question of preference, but physically speaking it is less tiring not to have to move from right to left and vice versa.

I must say that so upset with SDL attitude, I have been looking at various products (Deja vue etc.) and MemoQ is really a great alternative. It takes 5 minutes to be in business, it is simple to use, great support, very stable. It will be my choice the day I don't have to send bilingual files to my clients.

Jean-Ves Conte

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Repair installation Feb 9, 2010

jyconte wrote:

Thanks a lot Giles,

I'll try that. What do you mean by repair the WB installation? uninstall/reinstall Trados suite 2007?

Hi Jean-Yves.

No, I mean "repair (installation)", the button on the right in the install/uninstall pane of the control panel.

Gareth was going to try reinstalling if repairing the installation hadn't worked, though.

I am personally not so convinced about Studio, it takes time to be in business when starting a project (2 minutes with Trados Freelance 2007, 10 minutes with Studio before translating).

I find it takes slightly longer than with WB but not as long as with DVX, for example.

It is not user friendly, and doesn't allow (but I am not sure about that) to work with the segments displayed horizontally (Trados style). It's always easier to look at segments one above the other (you can see easily both without moving the eyes) than to look laft and right all the time. It might be a question of preference, but physically speaking it is less tiring not to have to move from right to left and vice versa.

I rather like Studio, although I was afraid I might not. I actually prefer the side-by-side layout as it gives you a better grasp of context. This is a great help in maintaining target-text coherence, which unless you are careful can be thrown out of kilter by the sequential, segment-based presentation typical of CAT tools.

I must say that so upset with SDL attitude, I have been looking at various products (Deja vue etc.) and MemoQ is really a great alternative. It takes 5 minutes to be in business, it is simple to use, great support, very stable. It will be my choice the day I don't have to send bilingual files to my clients.

I haven't tried MemoQ, although it does look interesting. If I have understood correctly, MemoQ would be more expensive than either Trados or DVX because the licence (like the LogiTerm licence, for example) is tied to a single computer. I work with two machines so I prefer to have two installations (Trados) or a dongle (DVX).

Good luck with repairing WB 2007!

Giles

[Edited at 2010-02-09 21:40 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Performance Feb 10, 2010

Hello Jean-Ves,

jyconte wrote:
I am personally not so convinced about Studio, it takes time to be in business when starting a project (2 minutes with Trados Freelance 2007, 10 minutes with Studio before translating). It is not user friendly, and doesn't allow (but I am not sure about that) to work with the segments displayed horizontally (Trados style). It's always easier to look at segments one above the other (you can see easily both without moving the eyes) than to look laft and right all the time. It might be a question of preference, but physically speaking it is less tiring not to have to move from right to left and vice versa.

yesterday I had Studio unpack a package with three pretty large TMs, 4 different files (*dpc, *pdf,*xls & *ppt), the *xls being heavy in no time. I have never created a project in Studio, but simply opened the files to be translated and each file is processed pretty fast, much faster than for ex. a large *ppt in good old TagEditor, my favourite of the old Trados package.

Personally, I prefer external editors with a separate either vertical or horizontal display such as SDLX, Studio or Transit, where the active segment is somehow highlighted. The traditional MSWord-based display can distract from the actual text, if there is a lot of code before and in-between the segment (I always want to see the full code, but I find MSWord display of it pretty "unclean" and distracting).

I guess it's a matter of habit or personal preference....

As to a paid support, SDL is not the only one using this practice. Furthermore, many of the encountered errors, issues and troubles aren't built-in, so to say, but somehow generated by the specific PC configuration as a whole. I have had issues with Trados on a PC, but not on another one with pretty much the same configuration, over the years. In one word, one can't really blame the producer for local occurrencies. About paid support, also generally speaking, I can tell you only one thing: try a targeted support and you'll never do without it, as your very specific issues are dealt with, not generalized ones, that's my experience.

BTW, Giles, (thanks for posting about how to go with the TM reorganization), I bought MemoQ with the last TGB: I can activate the software on two PCs.

I haven't used it actively until now, simply installed, opened and "played" with it a bit, in order to have an idea of how it works, it's pretty straight-forward, when you are familiar with SDLX or DVX. As usual, no CAT is perfect and each one has some strong points I respectively miss in the other ones.

My "CAT dream" is to have all strong points and features in one piece of software one day;-)

Giuliana

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 64bit and Trados 2007 / 2009 - does it work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »