Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Windows 7 64bit and Trados 2007 / 2009 - does it work?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
jyconte
jyconte
Local time: 20:10
TM reorganization/SDL support Feb 10, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

As to a paid support, SDL is not the only one using this practice. Furthermore, many of the encountered errors, issues and troubles aren't built-in, so to say, but somehow generated by the specific PC configuration as a whole.Giuliana

I had dozens of PC over the year from the leaders (DELL, HP, ....) I never had a problem with Trados up to now. But what do you think to that one:

In June last year, I returned my licence before reinstalling Trados Freelance 2007. For one full day I was unable to register again. Obviously their server was down. I sent an email to the support, and got an automated answer saying that my problem was considered as a medium priority. I never got any answer. The day after their server was back, and I could activate..... At the price of their product and when you implement such a system of activation of the product, you have the obligation to be up and running 24 hours a day 365 days a year. Do I have to pay for their bad management? At least I should have received an apology!

Jean-Yves Conte

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:10
Italian to English
In memoriam
Thanks for the info, Giuliana Feb 10, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

BTW, Giles, (thanks for posting about how to go with the TM reorganization), I bought MemoQ with the last TGB: I can activate the software on two PCs.

Thanks, Giuliana. That's very good news.

I haven't used it actively until now, simply installed, opened and "played" with it a bit, in order to have an idea of how it works, it's pretty straight-forward, when you are familiar with SDLX or DVX. As usual, no CAT is perfect and each one has some strong points I respectively miss in the other ones.

My "CAT dream" is to have all strong points and features in one piece of software one day;-)

And mine is for plenty of competition in the CAT market so that good tools are forced to get even better.

Giles
PS
And cheaper, of course

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganisation problem with WB 2007 under Win 7 Feb 11, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

No, I mean "repair (installation)", the button on the right in the install/uninstall pane of the control panel.

Giles

[Edited at 2010-02-09 21:40 GMT]

Hi Giles,

Sorry to bother you again,

Before the repair, is it necessary to return the license and reactivate after?

Thanks again for your valuable help,

Jean-Yves Conte

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
no Feb 11, 2010

No, not in case of a repair.

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganization problem/WB 2007 and Win 7 Feb 12, 2010

Tomas Mosler wrote:

No, not in case of a repair.

Thanks a lot Tomas.

Jean-Yves

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganization problem/WB 2007 and Win 7 Feb 13, 2010

Thanks all for your help, but I followed strictly the instructions given by Giles, and it doesn't work.

I still can't reorganize.

I have done everything: disabled Kaspersky, turned off UAC, repaired WB, ran "Register SDL Trados 2007", rebooted and ran WB with full administrator rights.

Either I missed something or it doesn't work (at least all the time as in the past I have been able to reorganize once in while....)

Jean-Yves

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganisation problem with WB 2007 under Win 7 Feb 14, 2010

Hi everybody,

I apparently found the solution.

I have been able to reorganize 5 different TMs, some twice or three times..... no problem.

I have been able to translate numerous rtf files (with Word and tag editor translated files) without the message that the file is used by another process etc.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed Norton 360. That's it.

I did that because on my laptop, where I have no problem, I had Norton 360 in
... See more
Hi everybody,

I apparently found the solution.

I have been able to reorganize 5 different TMs, some twice or three times..... no problem.

I have been able to translate numerous rtf files (with Word and tag editor translated files) without the message that the file is used by another process etc.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed Norton 360. That's it.

I did that because on my laptop, where I have no problem, I had Norton 360 installed and not Kaspersky. That was the only thing different compared to my desktop.

I didn't want to install another Norton (Internet security etc.) as I wanted to be sure to do the test with the exact same configuration than my laptop (Win 7, 64 bits).

Let's hope this problem is solved now.

I much regret for Kaspersky as I like it, but no choice!

Jean-Yves
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Kasperky and AVG Feb 14, 2010

Hi Jean-Yves,

That's right.

I was advised by SDL to disable Kaspersky before installing WB 2007. The program seems to work now even with Kaspersky re-enabled, although I haven't tested it extensively.

SDL said that AVG can cause similar problems.

Update:

WB 2007 is back to its old tricks, sadly. It looks as though I'll have to switch AV if I want to use the program on the Windows 7 64-bit machine.

[Edited at 2010-02-14 17:0
... See more
Hi Jean-Yves,

That's right.

I was advised by SDL to disable Kaspersky before installing WB 2007. The program seems to work now even with Kaspersky re-enabled, although I haven't tested it extensively.

SDL said that AVG can cause similar problems.

Update:

WB 2007 is back to its old tricks, sadly. It looks as though I'll have to switch AV if I want to use the program on the Windows 7 64-bit machine.

[Edited at 2010-02-14 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganisation/Win 7 Feb 14, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

[Edited at 2010-02-14 17:00 GMT]

I didn't want to spend more time and switched to Norton, but there might be a way to configure Kaspesrky though in the "trusted programs" settings. May be the support of Kaspersky might help on that?

Anyway, I confirm that I have been doing multiple reorganizations since my last post without any problem on the same TMs.

Good luck,

Jean-Yves

jyconte
jyconte
TM reorganisation Win 7 WB7 Feb 15, 2010

jyconte wrote:

I didn't want to spend more time and switched to Norton, but there might be a way to configure Kaspesrky though in the "trusted programs" settings. May be the support of Kaspersky might help on that?

Hi Giles,

Good news, apparently you can configure Kaspersky to avoid the reorganisation problem. I try to explain that from memory, so don't blame me if it is not 100% accurate. I just did it for a friend with the same problem accessing his computer online (he is in Minneapolis, I am in Vancouver BC).

Go to settings --> Threats and exclusions --> Exclusions: add an application (the workbench and any other application that seems to work erratically like Winrar etc., basically that shows an error message like "file used by another process") to the list of applications and in the settings for this application take the option "never monitor this application" or something like that.

Hope that will work for you,

Jean-Yves

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Thanks, Jean-Yves Feb 15, 2010

Thanks for the info, Jean-Yves.

I tried your tip but it doesn't seem to have worked.

This is probably due to ineptness on my part rather than any failings with Kaspersky, which works fine with XP on my other machine. I've got a trial version of Norton installed now and WB reorganises as advertised.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to German
JY's solution works Mar 3, 2010

jyconte wrote:

jyconte wrote:

Hi Giles,

Good news, apparently you can configure Kaspersky to avoid the reorganisation problem. I try to explain that from memory, so don't blame me if it is not 100% accurate. I just did it for a friend with the same problem accessing his computer online (he is in Minneapolis, I am in Vancouver BC).

Go to settings --> Threats and exclusions --> Exclusions: add an application (the workbench and any other application that seems to work erratically like Winrar etc., basically that shows an error message like "file used by another process") to the list of applications and in the settings for this application take the option "never monitor this application" or something like that.

Hope that will work for you,

Jean-Yves

It worked for me! But I ticked all four checkboxes just to be sure

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Thanks again Mar 3, 2010

Just for the record, with a little help from Rebekka, I've been able to uninstall the trial version of Norton I had and tweak Kaspersky so that it behaves itself with WB on Windows 7.

Thanks to Rebekka and Jean-Yves.

Giles

Tejinder Soodan
Tejinder Soodan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:40
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
It was Kaspersky Mar 4, 2010

Thanks Jean-Yves

I made changes in the Kaspersky settings and the reorganisation is working perfectly.

jyconte wrote:

As for Windows XP virtual machine, according to various posts and article, it doesn't work with all Intel processors. I guess your computer has a compatible processeur. Which one do you have? On the other end, some people in this forum mention a lot of problems with XP virtual machine and Trados.

Jean-Yves

Though you may not need XP virtual machine for this issue now, but I am using Windows XP virtual machine on my laptop with Intel i7 processor. It did ran a compatibility check before installation. I am using virtual machine for two other applications which do have a Windows 7 compatible version yet.

Tejinder

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Solution/explanation Apr 5, 2010

GREAT!

I fighted against this reorganizing issue since one year and now is fixed, thanks!

the new KIS 2010 has indeed a very useful option

if you go to Options/Threats and exclusions, you can add with one click only the whole SDL folder with ALL relevant subfolders: this way, I was finally able to reorganize even a 250 000 TUs memory

BUT now I have a NEW issue: every now and then, Trados crashes at the end of reorganizing and I ca
... See more
GREAT!

I fighted against this reorganizing issue since one year and now is fixed, thanks!

the new KIS 2010 has indeed a very useful option

if you go to Options/Threats and exclusions, you can add with one click only the whole SDL folder with ALL relevant subfolders: this way, I was finally able to reorganize even a 250 000 TUs memory

BUT now I have a NEW issue: every now and then, Trados crashes at the end of reorganizing and I can avoid it only disabling KIS entirely ...

it means that KIS kills some other Trados routines, but I don't still know what, so when I'll have some time, I'll try to add other softwares, NET framework for example, to KIS exclusions to see what happens

Claudio

P.S. note that I have WIn XP SP3 + SDL Trados 2007 freelance

[Modificato alle 2010-04-05 20:28 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 64bit and Trados 2007 / 2009 - does it work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »