How can I edit .ttx source texts with TagEditor?
Thread poster: Nguyen Dieu

Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 04:15
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Oct 28, 2009

Could you please tell me how to modify (or make changes) source text in ttx file with TagEditor?

I am using Trados TagEditor 7.1.0.719.

Thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-28 12:21 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Notepad++ Oct 28, 2009

Hi

you could use Notepad++. It's an improved version of Notepad but with many more features, one of which is the possibility to open TagEditor files.
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/it/site.htm

Hope it helps

Maria Antonietta

[Edited at 2009-10-28 12:56 GMT]

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just unlock document protection Oct 28, 2009

In TagEditor, go to Tools > Options. In the Protection tabs, uncheck the document protection options. You shold be able to edit source text now.

Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 04:15
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 28, 2009

Thank you for your help.

It works!!

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:15
Dutch to English
Not really best practice! Oct 29, 2009

As a translator you should not really be changing your source text. You will find that this feature is disabled in Studio 2009 and you will not be able to edit the source text.

I know that sometimes it really is necessary but it is not best practice.

For what it's worth!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What IS best practice? Oct 29, 2009

Hi Jim,
yes, you are generally right, but there are some "ifs". What if the source is an OCRed document with a number of unnecessary paragraphs? What if the source document is full of typos which will make your TM useless for future purposes? What if the client changes a sentence or two and you want these changes reflected in the TM? And there are many other scenarios under which you need to edit the source text. In fact, I am badly missing this in Studio.

Tony Moen
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Necessity beats 'best practice' Jan 30, 2011

Stanislav i spot on.
In my view whatever is called 'best practice' is swept off the table by necessity. Best practice can be (and is) redefined regularly, the need to fix errors isn't.
As an in-house translator we frequently edited source docs while translating - from spelling slips to company-sinking blunders. And the writers were always happy with our service - more than they'd asked for.
Here I have a 6-line paragraph with a comma in the middle instead of a full stop. In Workbench 2007 I could put in a full stop and split the segment, in Studio 2009 I can't. The comma is wrong, it will not be in the translation (= 'inaccurate translation'), but the TM segment is almost too long for future recognition.
If such are the results of 'best practice', the dogs can have it.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
My definition of best practices... Jan 31, 2011

includes the fact that the ST can be edited in cases such as those mentioned by Stanislav and Tony.

And having the possibility of doing this while translating with any CAT tool is a big plus point - not a minus one - for the CAT tool in question.

From my PoV, the "A" in CAT (either Aided or Assisted, your pick) should not mean that the tool's assistance should overrun the translator's appreciation as per what is right or wrong.

Machines are made by and for (wo)men - not the other way around.

[Edited at 2011-01-31 07:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I edit .ttx source texts with TagEditor?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search