Trados 7 - can I carry on?
Thread poster: Soluna
Soluna
Soluna
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
English to German
Oct 28, 2009

I have been working with Trados 7 happily for a good number of years. My computer has just been infected with a virus and I have decided I need a new one. The obvious problem will be:

- Trados 7 apparently doesn't run under Vista, which most new PCs have installed
- I can't upgrade from Trados 7 anymore so I have to shell out (just when I have the expense for a new PC) for a new license for a later version that I don't really want.

So .... if I can get a PC with
... See more
I have been working with Trados 7 happily for a good number of years. My computer has just been infected with a virus and I have decided I need a new one. The obvious problem will be:

- Trados 7 apparently doesn't run under Vista, which most new PCs have installed
- I can't upgrade from Trados 7 anymore so I have to shell out (just when I have the expense for a new PC) for a new license for a later version that I don't really want.

So .... if I can get a PC with XP I could run Trados 7 ... but will I be able to use my license key from the old PC on the new one? If not, is there anywhere I can buy Trados 7 from? Or at least something like 2007 Suite which SDL told me looks more like 2009? I don't really want to get the latest version at all. My agencies don't use it and I don't want the hassle and time loss to familiarise myself with something new whilst having doubts about conflicting with other stuff. SDL has not been helpful - obviously they want to only sell their latest version, apparently by buying 2009 you get a free license for 2007 as well. Obvioulsy I'd rather not buy the latest version only to be able to use an older one!

Can anybody suggest anything? My preference is using Trados 7 with my old license on a new computer. It's bad enough having to upgrade my hardware and other things like Office....

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2009-10-28 14:03 GMT]
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:12
English to French
+ ...
Upgrade will be necessary if... Oct 28, 2009

You can't work around the necessity of an upgrade to a newer version if you are planning on upgrading to MS Office 2007 and work with the Word macro. SDL Trados 2006 won't work under Word 2007. You will also lack the necessary filters to treat the Office 2007 files in TagEditor.

Otherwise, SDL Trados 2006 works fine under Vista AFAIK.

Regarding the upgrade, you get SDL Trados 2007 Suite when you purchase SDL Trados Studio 2009. You don't *need* to use the Studio 2009 ve
... See more
You can't work around the necessity of an upgrade to a newer version if you are planning on upgrading to MS Office 2007 and work with the Word macro. SDL Trados 2006 won't work under Word 2007. You will also lack the necessary filters to treat the Office 2007 files in TagEditor.

Otherwise, SDL Trados 2006 works fine under Vista AFAIK.

Regarding the upgrade, you get SDL Trados 2007 Suite when you purchase SDL Trados Studio 2009. You don't *need* to use the Studio 2009 version if you don't want to. You're of course missing out on the new features, but that remains your choice.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You don't have to buy a new computer because of a virus Oct 28, 2009

If the hardware is OK, you can format the hard-disk, or buy a new bigger one, and re-install Windows XP and all the other programs.

In any case, new computers come now with Windows 7 and there should be no problem working with Trados 7 and Office 2002/2003 in Win 7.

If you don't have to upgrade to SDL Trados 2009, don't waste your money.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Vista Oct 28, 2009

I wouldn't use a Vista machine, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Either stick with XP - which is what I'd do - or go with the newer Windows 7.

Even if a machine comes preloaded with Vista or 7, you can install XP on it in almost all cases.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:12
English to Dutch
+ ...
Local Trados licence key works fine on other pcs Oct 28, 2009

... but will I be able to use my license key from the old PC on the new one?

Yes, I've done that before and it works fine. I'm talking about a licence file that is locally stored on your computer (*.lic file).

So if you still have that, Trados 7 will work fine (or rather: as 'reliable' as it always has) on any Windows system. It's the Office version that may turn out to be problematic. Stick to Word 2003 if you can get away with it.

I have always been a severe critic of SDL Trados and I'm still sceptical, but the latest reports about Studio 2009 in conjunction with the new, free service pack are very promising. You might change your mind, like I did, in which case a 150 dollar upgrade is not such a big issue.

Soluna
Soluna
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 28, 2009

Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to buy a new computer with XP installed and carry on with Trados 7 at the moment. Thanks Marinus for confirming that the license key works - I am keeping my fingers crossed! I will also keep my old Office version (hurray!) because I am not keen on upgrading to 2007.

I did get to talk to someone at SDC eventually and they were helpful.

I just hope it all works on the new PC which will arrive tomorrow and I will be back at work
... See more
Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to buy a new computer with XP installed and carry on with Trados 7 at the moment. Thanks Marinus for confirming that the license key works - I am keeping my fingers crossed! I will also keep my old Office version (hurray!) because I am not keen on upgrading to 2007.

I did get to talk to someone at SDC eventually and they were helpful.

I just hope it all works on the new PC which will arrive tomorrow and I will be back at work again.

Collapse

Bea Geenen
Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Vista and Trados 7 - working perfectly. Oct 28, 2009

My laptop is running on Vista, and I'm using Trados 7.0 on it - no problem whatsoever. I did have to downgrade the preinstalled Word 2007 to Word 2003 though, but that went without a glitch.

Soluna
Soluna
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Oct 29, 2009

Thanks Bea, that sounds good. As I said I got a new PC with XP (and Vista) and will work with my old Office 2000 and Trados 7. I think I will eventually go for Windows 7 - if that works with an older Office version. At the moment I am happy I can run XP on a new computer and pray that when I get the machine today it will all come together!

Jacques Bermond
Jacques Bermond  Identity Verified
English to French
Win 7 + Trados 7 Jun 9, 2010

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

If the hardware is OK, you can format the hard-disk, or buy a new bigger one, and re-install Windows XP and all the other programs.

In any case, new computers come now with Windows 7 and there should be no problem working with Trados 7 and Office 2002/2003 in Win 7.

Hello Yossi,

In the search of info, I am browsing various Proz forums and came across your statement "there should be no problem working with Trados 7 and Office 2002/2003 in Win 7". My very recent experience with a new machine is that Trados 7 does not work under Win 7 nor under "Windows XP Mode" of Win 7. The problem I encountered is that the licence.lic file is not recognized and the Licence Manager looks for a "Flexlm" licence (frankly, I don't know what it is).
Do you have direct experience of Trados 7 under Win 7 that could help me solving my problem?

I thank you in advance.

Jacques Bermond

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sorry, I have no actual experience with Win 7 Jun 9, 2010

Jacques Bermond wrote:

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Hello Yossi,

In the search of info, I am browsing various Proz forums and came across your statement "there should be no problem working with Trados 7 and Office 2002/2003 in Win 7". My very recent experience with a new machine is that Trados 7 does not work under Win 7 nor under "Windows XP Mode" of Win 7. The problem I encountered is that the licence.lic file is not recognized and the Licence Manager looks for a "Flexlm" licence (frankly, I don't know what it is).
Do you have direct experience of Trados 7 under Win 7 that could help me solving my problem?

I thank you in advance.

Jacques Bermond

I'm still with the good old Win XP and Office 2003.

Theoretically, there should be no problem working with Trados 7 in Win 7, but maybe in certain configurations there is...

Jacques Bermond
Jacques Bermond  Identity Verified
English to French
Trados 7 cannot run under Win 7 Jun 10, 2010

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Jacques Bermond wrote:

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Hello Yossi,

I thank you in advance.

Jacques Bermond

I'm still with the good old Win XP and Office 2003.

Theoretically, there should be no problem working with Trados 7 in Win 7, but maybe in certain configurations there is...

Hello,

In fact, I gave a try today and the installation process was interrupted because of a "compatibility issue". I was asked to let my computer check on MS site if there is a substitute to the incompatible (.NET) file (which is what I did) and after a while I received a message from MS site that there is no solution "for the moment", but that they will "keep me informed".

À bon entendeur, salut.

JB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 - can I carry on?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »