Translating Visio files with Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Julie Goupille

Julie Goupille  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:36
French to English
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know how to translate visio files in Trados Studio 2009? I checked the help section and converted the original .vsd file to a .vdx file like it told me to, but Studio won't recognize the file type. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wielklem
Local time: 19:36
Visio in Trados 2009 Aug 16, 2011

Same problem here. Trying to work around it by saving it as .html. I will let you know the result.

Wielklem
Visio and Trados 2009 Aug 16, 2011

I've tried work around it by saving the Visio doc as an html, but dailed miserably. Strange that Trados would suggest this workaround. But then again, it's probably not, since they're notoriously unreliable.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
In the help guide... Aug 17, 2011

... it says this:

Microsoft Visio
Preparation
SDL Trados Studio does not process native Visio format files.
Use Microsoft Visio to open the file, and then save the file as an XML file: save drawings as XML drawing files, stencils as XML stencil files, and templates as XML template files.
Post-processing
After translation, use Microsoft Vision to open the translated file and then save it in native Visio format.

So you can create an xml filetype to suit your needs and translate that.

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SDL proudly announces... Aug 17, 2011

SDL Support wrote:

... it says this:

Microsoft Visio
Preparation
SDL Trados Studio does not process native Visio format files.
Use Microsoft Visio to open the file, and then save the file as an XML file: save drawings as XML drawing files, stencils as XML stencil files, and templates as XML template files.
Post-processing
After translation, use Microsoft Vision to open the translated file and then save it in native Visio format.

SDL proudly announces another step back?

Just open the Visio XML file using Trados 2007, declare the ini provided with the software (it is not shown by default), then translate the resulting TTX file.

Cheers
GG

artbook  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Visio 2010 and SDL Trados 2007 or Studio 2009 Oct 20, 2011

Hi everybody,
I followed your instructions concerning the translation of Visio files with Trados.
I saved the file in XML (drawing, stencil and template) but I would like to know if I have done correctly since it is not working.
I saved the same vsd file in each of the 3 formats, leaving the same name and leaving the resulting files in the same folder.
Then I opened TagEditor and chose the "Visio XML" tag settings file.
At this point which XML file should I open?
I tried with all of them but the resulting TagEditor file is not useful.
Thanks,
Claudia

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:36
Japanese to English
How is it "not useful"? Oct 21, 2011

...I opened TagEditor and chose the "Visio XML" tag settings file.
At this point which XML file should I open?
I tried with all of them but the resulting TagEditor file is not useful.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

You want to open the .vdx XML file. What do you mean the TagEditor file is not useful?

A couple of issues I ran into during this process might help.

First, I found that the size of the .vdx file I created from my .vsd file was over 8X the original file size!!! That could be a problem if your file sizes are big and your PC/Mac doesn't have much RAM.

Second, I found that TagEditor did not recognize the source language of the .vdx file(mine is Japanese), it opened the file as a Unicode-EN bilingual file, which does not work:

Is this what you mean by "not useful"? If so, then you should open TagEditor first,
THEN click the "Connect to Workbench" button and open your memory file,
AND THEN open your .vdx file.

When I opened files in this order, TagEditor recognized that my source language was Japanese and opened it correctly as a JA-EN file that I am able to translate/save the target file/etc.

If none of the above applies to your situation, please give us more details of what is happening on your machine.

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Microsoft Visio Filter for SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011 Nov 18, 2011

Hi,

I would like to draw your attention to the new Microsoft Visio Filter for SDL Trados Studio 2009 / 2011.

With this filter, you can directly open VDX files created with Microsoft Visio 2003, 2007 or 2010 in SDL Trados Studio 2009 or 2011.

You can download an evaluation version of the filter plugin from the SDL OpenExchange Platform for free and test it with your files as long as you like:
http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=139

Additional information (currently only in German) is available here:
http://www.tracom.de/software/visio-for-sdl-trados-studio/

There are different editions for different needs. Most interesting for many freelance translators seems to be the project license, which has full support for all Studio versions and all Visio Versions including Visio Premium.

Please note, that the filter does not open the old binary vsd format. You (or our client) needs to save the visio file in the newer (xml based) VDX format.

Best,
Stefan Gentz

Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Visio 2010 and Studio 2009 Sep 8, 2012

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but maybe someon can help me?

SDL Support wrote:

I have evaluation version of Visio 2010 and Studio 2009 Freelance. I saved my files as XML-documents in Visio and their extension is VDX. I assume they are XML files, right?

However when I try to open them in Studio it does not recognize them as XML files. Same thing happens in TagEditor.

Am I doing something wrong here? Anybody had the same problem before?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
If you don't use... Sep 10, 2012

... the excellent plugin Stefan mentioned below, then it is not enough to open the Visio filetype in Studio. You have to create a new filetype yourself using the VDX as the basis for it. There is some literature on how to do this here in the product help for 2009: http://goo.gl/9JAgq

I also wrote a process of how to create an xml filetype using a MSProject XML as an example. The process will be exactly the same, only with different parser rules, so this might help too: http://goo.gl/2vpHe

Regards

Paul

visio plugin Oct 26, 2012

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Hi,

I would like to draw your attention to the new Microsoft Visio Filter for SDL Trados Studio 2009 / 2011.

With this filter, you can directly open VDX files created with Microsoft Visio 2003, 2007 or 2010 in SDL Trados Studio 2009 or 2011.

You can download an evaluation version of the filter plugin from the SDL OpenExchange Platform for free and test it with your files as long as you like:
http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=139

Additional information (currently only in German) is available here:
http://www.tracom.de/software/visio-for-sdl-trados-studio/

There are different editions for different needs. Most interesting for many freelance translators seems to be the project license, which has full support for all Studio versions and all Visio Versions including Visio Premium.

Please note, that the filter does not open the old binary vsd format. You (or our client) needs to save the visio file in the newer (xml based) VDX format.

Best,
Stefan Gentz

Important client. Bought the plugin. Smooth installation. Visio still *unlisted* in Filetypes. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Visio files with Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search