Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2009

Hello everyone,

I've installed the Microsoft Office patch that was supposed to solve the speed problem with Trados 2007-Office 2007, but I'm still seeing very slow processing of translation units when using Workbench and Word 2007.

Am I missing anything?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:10
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Heavy file? Oct 28, 2009

Hello Nora,

hhmm which patch? Do you mean the macro preventing the steady pagination of the file? (Used to be available in the files menu on the TW_users Yahoo group). Sometimes it doesn't do wonder though. Anyhow, if your file is heavily formatted or contains many tables and/or screenshots, MSWord weighs a ton and the file keeps inflating. I'd move to TagEditor, as I always do in these cases (even if I am asked to deliver a bilingual file When I am done I use a copy of the original and open "translate" in TWB. Some segments won't match perfectly, but the no. is really little and this extra step is far faster than translating a monster file in MSword at a snail speed.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-10-28 19:46 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Normal Layout Oct 28, 2009

Hi Nora,
except as required by the client, I would switch over to TagEditor as Guiliana suggests. If you have to use Word as the editing environment, I would try using the Normal layout instead of the Page layout. This should speed up Word considerably.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not patch but hotfix Oct 28, 2009

Sorry, I meant the hotfix offered by Microsoft to fix slow macro performance.

When I first installed it, things were running smoothly, but somewhere along the way Workbench-Word performance got slow again, no idea why.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Document size Oct 28, 2009

Hi Nora,
what is the document size (bytes, word count)? What is your machine's RAM size? If the performance is slowing down gradually, this is often a sign of insufficient RAM caused by:
1. low RAM
2. long document
3. both of the above.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Machine not slow Oct 28, 2009

That's a good point, Stanislav, but I have 4 GB of RAM and the document that was giving me trouble is only 101 KB.

The computer is not slow in general, it's only the Word 2007-Trados 2007 combination. TUs take forever to open and close. A "translate to fuzzy" task on a 900 word document took almost five minutes!

This used to be done in seconds in Word 2003. Now I see the Windows hourglass turn and turn before a translation unit even closes.

Edited to say:

I have reapplied the hotfix and now Word 2007 is playing nicely with SDL Trados 2007 again. Maybe I should get used to start using Studio!

[Edited at 2009-10-28 22:28 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmmm... Oct 28, 2009

Hi Nora,
that's really strange, considering you have applied the hotfix issued by Microsoft. I have no other ideas but the following ones:
1. Use the Normal instead of Page layout
2. Use TagEditor as your editing environment
3. Try re-registering Trados (run the SelfRegister.bat file from within your Trados 2007 installation folder)
4. Switch back to Word 2003

I'm sorry, but I have no other suggestions...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench sloooow in Word 2007 even after patch

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search