Customize User ID in Studio 2009 Freelance?
Thread poster: Alexander Heyne

Alexander Heyne
Germany
Local time: 09:16
German to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2009

Hello everyone,

has anyone got an idea on how to change the user ID that appears for TM segments one has created in Studio 2009? The default setting seems to be my current user name in the operating system and I would very much like to customize it but can't for the life of me find a menu or option that would do the trick.

In Trados 2007, the user ID can be changed directly under Settings --> User ID.
The only thing that comes close to that in Studio 2009 is File --> Setup--> Users but that seems just to be a list of people to which one can send project packages.

Any clue on how to customize the User ID would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Quite easy Oct 29, 2009

Hi Alexander,
please go to "File > Setup > Users..." and change the user information to suit your needs.

Alexander Heyne
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other ideas? Oct 30, 2009

Thanks Stanislav, that's what I would have thought as well, seems to be the logical solution, but it's not, alas.

In this User menu it says: "This dialog allows you to manage the users you send packages to and receive packages from." As I understand it, it does not refer to me as the user of that installation.

However, there is one entry there with me as the user, and I edited that but it has no effect on the metadata of the TM segments I produced after that. These still show the user name I use to log on to my computer, which is just my first name and does not seem very professional to me when I send TMs to clients.

It is a real shame there is no definite and comprehensive user manual out for Studio 2009 (or is there?), usually you would expect that of such a complex software.

Thanks again and best regards.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmmm Oct 30, 2009

Hi Alexander,
I will look into that later today. There is the help which is kept up-to-date, but obviously you have to be on-line to have the help download the latest versions.

Alexander Heyne
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No direct solution but possible workaround Jan 19, 2010

Just in case anybody else is looking into this:

I have just had it from a quasi-official source that there is no real solution for this problem. Changing the User name within Studio has no effect on the name displayed for new or edited TM segments, as Trados takes it directly from the user name of the OS.

I do not quite know what the developers were thinking when doing this. Studio has a user management of its own, so I can't think why would connect it to the Windows user management. Now I am basically stuck with the name entered when I set up my Windows system back in the day (changing my user name in the Windows user management now does not help either).

However, there seems to be the old workaround of exporting the TM to a text file, editing the name there and then importing it into a new TM before sending it to the client. Quite cumbersome but better than nothing I suppose.

Regards
Alexander

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Still unsolved? Nov 14, 2010

I'm lost for words here... I'm using Studio SP3 and I can't find any way of setting up the user ID. Could it be that SDL failed to include this basic functionality, or am I doing it wrong?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio uses the Windows user Nov 15, 2010

Studio uses the Windows user name as "user name" and this cannot be overridden in Studio.

Walter

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wow Nov 15, 2010

Thank you for confirming my fears.
This is clearly very badly broken. Has SDL said anything about adding this elementary functionality? I'm sure it's been requested a thousand times on ideas.sdl.com.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why do you consider this as "badly broken"? Nov 15, 2010

I guess the reason might be to ensure unique user names because this is a requirement for managing project packages. If a user could change his user ID at will, you might run into trouble when exchanging project packages.

Why is it a problem not being able to change your user ID?

Walter

Alexander Heyne
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because no one told us Nov 15, 2010

Hello,

the main problem I have is that there was no sign when I installed Studio that they would take the name of my computer and use it as my ID for all I do in Trados. If you could register the user name once when installing and stick with it, that would be fine, although still questionable, because why should I not be allowed to change my user ID? Any client that requires a unique and unchanged ID in their TMs could just tell me so and I would happily oblige (could even change my ID to any name convention they require for their projects).

But now all you see in the meta-information of my Trados-Segments is my first name because that is what I entered when installing the PC. In my other Trados installation on my notebook you see the name of the computer vendor I bought it from with pre-installed Windows.

It is just not very professional and a grave oversight on the part of SDL.

Kind regards.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Nov 15, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

I guess the reason might be to ensure unique user names because this is a requirement for managing project packages. If a user could change his user ID at will, you might run into trouble when exchanging project packages.

Why is it a problem not being able to change your user ID?

Walter

No. Just no.
It is a problem because I want to be able to control what goes in my TMs, simple as that. I have my preferences, companies I work for have their requirements. It's a basic necessity for software to comply. I mean, how is my client supposed to know that LAPTOP\A means me, if that happens to be my computer name and user account???

In actual fact, what this behaviour does is the opposite of what you say: it ensures clashing user names. Given enough large projects, you will eventually end up with two contributors who both have a computer named HP-LAPTOP and who both have "John" as their username. Then you're sort of screwed - they will be forced to export their TMs to TMX and edit the userid's manually, or, if they exchange "packages", it may be even trickier.

Bottom line: the lack of this functionality is an extremely annoying and baffling oversight.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
workaround Nov 16, 2010

Until SDL corrects this bug (which will probably happen in the distant future, if ever), here's a somewhat usable workaround: change your computer name (and your user/login name too, if you want).
The Studio ID is [computername]\[username] so you can force Studio to give you an almost acceptable ID, apart from the inexplicable \ (backslashes are never used in such a way, they should have used a / or a -).
Here's how to change your computer name:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-your-computer-name

It shouldn't affect anything else on your computer except some network settings if you're on a name-based network.
I tried this and poor old Studio got a bit confused... the change of the computer name made it think it just got installed. It gave me the first-launch "give us your email address so we can spam you" window before starting up, but that's a small price to pay. Now it adds a more reasonable ID to my TMs.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Even simpler Nov 16, 2010

Or you can just add a new text field into the TM:
- Field name: Translation Author
- TM update: your name

Done.

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just a hint Nov 25, 2010

Hi Alexander,

I'm having the same problem and looking for a real solution - haven't found it yet, but it occurred to me that I once came across the ominous setting for the Trados User ID in the registry, just haven't been able to trace it now (could be that this has been changed with newer versions).

Then there is the ID setting in the Projects XML file in the Studio Projects folder which can be manually edited (only this doesn't seem to take effect in the TM..), but I'm sure the solution can be found somewhere along those lines.
It really IS a nuisance that SDL would prescribe the user setting in such a way - but then how do all the other users handle it who have these neat short IDs showing up in the TM??

Will let you know once I find a solution..

Best wishes

Peter

Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:16
German to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2014

[Edited at 2014-01-03 12:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Customize User ID in Studio 2009 Freelance?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search