How do Translation Memories are managed in SDL2009?
Thread poster: Patricia Barthélémy
Patricia Barthélémy  Identity Verified

Local time: 01:39
English to French
Oct 29, 2009

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry if I replicate a topic already been answered.

I am new to SDL 2009 and don't understand how translation memories are managed.

Let's say a TM "Mémoire-XYZ" already exists.

When I open a project XYZ1234 and assign Mémoire-XYZ to it, the memory seems to be copied in a "Tm" folder of the project structure and named "XYZ1234_Mémoire-XYZ".

Is this a new TM? Is it linked to the main TM? While translating, which memory is updated?

Thank you for your help.
Patricia

[Modifié le 2009-10-29 20:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Translation memory button Oct 30, 2009

Hello Patricia,

click on the translation memory button on the left side and you'll see which TMs are in use and which will be updated/used as reference only. Simply tick the corresponding box if you wish that all listed TMs are updated. You can also add further TMs clicking on the plus symbol. You can also see that if you check the project settings. Personally I think that this way is faster.

Giuliana

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
How SDL manages the translation memories in a project Oct 30, 2009

Hi Giuliana,

Thank you for your answer.

What I'm trying to understand is how SDL Trados is managing the translation memories and what exactly does it copy in the Tm folders of the Project. It seems to be a lighter version of the TM I want to use? That's what I don't get...

Patricia

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Project Translation Memory... Oct 30, 2009

Hi Patricia,

The TM you are referring to is called the project TM and it stores all your translations within a project. Once you a finalise your project, all the translations will be added to your main TM which you specified when you created the project. If you do not wish to use a project TM and wish to simply update your main TM as you translate then you have two options:

1. Use the Open Document function. This will allow you to select a document to translate along with a main TM. A project TM will not be created and all translations will be added directly to the main TM you specified.

2. If you wish to still create a project but not use a project TM then please select the "Prepare without project TM" task sequence. This will convert, analyse and pre-translate the files without creating a project TM.

These options were developed for freelancers who wish to begin translating a document without creating a project and do not work within a large group so a project TM is not necessary.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-10-30 17:17 GMT]

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Yes it helps, thanks! Oct 30, 2009

Hi Gareth,

It helps a lot, thanks!

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do Translation Memories are managed in SDL2009?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search