I don't know what went wrong, but content is all gone.
Thread poster: Chris Lee

Chris Lee
South Korea
Local time: 11:11
Korean to English
Oct 31, 2009

I wonder if anyone can help me.
I had a huge problem with this specific .doc file from the beginning.
It contains 12,000words, with many pictures, embedded thinings, lots of indents and auto numbering etc.

Anyway, I tried to clean up but it didnd't work.
It's 50202: Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error.

I converted the source .doc file to .rft and again to .doc.
I ran the auto translation and clean up again, but failed to clean up again.

I was thinking to send the dirty file to my client, as I am 100% sure that my client doesn't even know what Trados is, and the client doesn't have the program installed in his computer for sure.

But, I changed my mind and I manually cut and pasted the whole transaltion.
It took me about 7 hours.

Just about 10 minutes ago, I opened the cut and pasted file.
To my surprise, the file is EMPTY. But it shows the size, 38.9mb.

What happened? I don't know what to do any more.

[Edited at 2009-10-31 17:19 GMT]

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:41
German to Italian
+ ...
Tag Editor? Oct 31, 2009

I am assuming you translated your file in Word with Translator's Workbench.
Did you try using Tag Editor? It's usually the best environment for this kind of file with complex formatting, and it shouldn't take you long since everything you translated is in the TM.

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Chris Lee
South Korea
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi. Yes I did work with workbench. How do I use Tag Editor with doc file? Than you in advance:) Oct 31, 2009

Sara Fantasticini wrote:

I am assuming you translated your file in Word with Translator's Workbench.
Did you try using Tag Editor? It's usually the best environment for this kind of file with complex formatting, and it shouldn't take you long since everything you translated is in the TM.

Hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use the rtf file for cleanup Oct 31, 2009

This may not be a solution, unless you still have the translated file in rtf:

Clean the rtf version of the file and manually save the clean rtf back to doc.

Trados converts doc files into rtf files internally to clean and update them and/or to update the TM. After the process, the rtf file is converted into doc again, all quite invisibly.

Sometimes you can prevent problems by storing the doc file as an additional rtf file, clean that one and, when all works well, convert the cleaned rtf back into doc.

If that doesn't work, Sara's tip may be best. Start a project in TagEditor, import the original - untranslated - doc (just open it), save the bilingual TagEditor file (ttx), pretranslate it (that's a command in Workbench), open it again in TagEditor. If all is well, you can save the translated doc file and the full functionality of all formatting will still be there.

Don't panic. Take a break, remove yourself physically from your computer, drink a cup of tea and calmly think about the options.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-10-31 17:47 GMT]

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Manual Oct 31, 2009

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Don't panic. Take a break, remove yourself physically from your computer, drink a cup of tea and calmly think about the options.

That's very sound advice.icon_smile.gif

If you have any doubts about the Tag Editor procedure, look it up in the manual, there is a whole section about Tag Editor and Word and everything is explained in detail.

Good luck!

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
A word of caution about DOC files and TagEditor Oct 31, 2009

DOC files can be translated with TagEditor, but if the DOC file contains section breaks, there must be an empty paragraph before a section break. Otherwise you won't be able to save your translated DOC with TagEditor, and it will throw an "Error writing breaks" message, or something similar.

If the DOC is so complex, I suspect it may contain section breaks.

HTH

Piotr

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Macro Oct 31, 2009

I don't know why nobody else suggested using the cleanup macro. When the cleanup of workbench failed, it has never let me down so far, although I've never had this big of a mess, either.
Anyway, open your file in Word and click Tools/Macro/Macros/Tw4win.clean.main (roughly). Hopefully it'll work.

You could even try search and replace if the file has no hidden text: enable wilcards and replace everything (*) that's hidden with nothing. You can specify hidden in the drop-down box. I just made this up, it may not work at all for a variety of reasons. But the macro has a pretty good chance of working.

Chris Lee
South Korea
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh my god! It works!!!! Nov 1, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

I don't know why nobody else suggested using the cleanup macro. When the cleanup of workbench failed, it has never let me down so far, although I've never had this big of a mess, either.
Anyway, open your file in Word and click Tools/Macro/Macros/Tw4win.clean.main (roughly). Hopefully it'll work.

You could even try search and replace if the file has no hidden text: enable wilcards and replace everything (*) that's hidden with nothing. You can specify hidden in the drop-down box. I just made this up, it may not work at all for a variety of reasons. But the macro has a pretty good chance of working.

Your tip worked in just one click.
It took 3 seconds. This is fantastic!
Thanks a million, and all of you who posted to my question.

Chris Lee
South Korea
Korean to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tips. Nov 1, 2009

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

This may not be a solution, unless you still have the translated file in rtf:

Clean the rtf version of the file and manually save the clean rtf back to doc.

Trados converts doc files into rtf files internally to clean and update them and/or to update the TM. After the process, the rtf file is converted into doc again, all quite invisibly.

Sometimes you can prevent problems by storing the doc file as an additional rtf file, clean that one and, when all works well, convert the cleaned rtf back into doc.

If that doesn't work, Sara's tip may be best. Start a project in TagEditor, import the original - untranslated - doc (just open it), save the bilingual TagEditor file (ttx), pretranslate it (that's a command in Workbench), open it again in TagEditor. If all is well, you can save the translated doc file and the full functionality of all formatting will still be there.

Good luck!

I used your tip. It workd but for some unknown reasons, about 1/3 of the translation was not cleaned up. It was strange, but I learned a lot through this case. Thank you very much.

YumKaax
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing words in Word and other Text editors Nov 1, 2009

On occasion I have encountered a similar problem. (not related to the problem posted, but interesting)
A document with data in it (MB in size) but no visible text.
Reason: Text was the same color as background.
Cause for this: slip of a finger while typing (push Ctrl instead of shift, perhaps?)

Greetings from me.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I don't know what went wrong, but content is all gone.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search