https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149669-a_trados_2009_getting_started_guide.html

A TRADOS 2009 Getting Started Guide?
Thread poster: Simon Harris
Simon Harris
Simon Harris  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2009

I have just downloaded the evaluation copy of Trados 2009 and find the the Help unhelpful. The multiple websites are also difficult to navigate.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a simple Getting Started/Trados for Dummies Guide?

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Click to Home Nov 1, 2009

Getting started tutorials

in Studio 2009.

Simon Harris
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TRADOS Getting Started Nov 1, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't understand 'Click to home'

Any chance of a URL?

PS. If you mean the unhelpful Help, I'm looking for something I can print and read in order to get an overview.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:45
Spanish
+ ...
Video Tutorials Nov 1, 2009

Hi Simon,

I've been working on creating Studio Video tutorials and blog posts (my blog). So far, I've only created two. The second is about Filters and Penalties and how to apply them based sub-languages (just as an example). I just haven't gotten around to uploading the video but I'll do it tonight.

Do you have any particular idea on what exactly you might find u
... See more
Hi Simon,

I've been working on creating Studio Video tutorials and blog posts (my blog). So far, I've only created two. The second is about Filters and Penalties and how to apply them based sub-languages (just as an example). I just haven't gotten around to uploading the video but I'll do it tonight.

Do you have any particular idea on what exactly you might find useful? Work has been pretty slow these past wees so I might have time to create a new one the next one.

Claudia
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Certification materials Nov 2, 2009

Hi Simon,
you can downloads all the necessary guides from the Certification section in your profile on translationzone.com.

Simon Harris
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dumb of me? Nov 2, 2009

I've spent hours on this weird site that takes you through various domains (translationzone, sdl and another whose name escapes me). The certification section appears to be selling me courses - I just want the ABC so that I can decide if it's worth the investment.

The way the information is organised is so poor that it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.

Every other programme I've ever used has a short downloadable 'click this do that' kind of guide.
... See more
I've spent hours on this weird site that takes you through various domains (translationzone, sdl and another whose name escapes me). The certification section appears to be selling me courses - I just want the ABC so that I can decide if it's worth the investment.

The way the information is organised is so poor that it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product.

Every other programme I've ever used has a short downloadable 'click this do that' kind of guide.

Thanks to all but I can't find any document that could be described as a Trados for Dummies Overview
Collapse

mpoho
mpoho
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
similar problem Nov 2, 2009

I have a very similar problem to Simon - I find 'help' somewhat confusing. Trados 2009 studio freelance is my first CAT, I use it with windows vista. So far (I installed it yesterday) I managed to open the source text and wanted to create my first own translation memory from scratch (i.e. translated my first translation unit and wanted the programme to memorise it), but couldn't make it, particularly with other concepts, such as "termbase" confusing me further. Other thing is I would like to cha... See more
I have a very similar problem to Simon - I find 'help' somewhat confusing. Trados 2009 studio freelance is my first CAT, I use it with windows vista. So far (I installed it yesterday) I managed to open the source text and wanted to create my first own translation memory from scratch (i.e. translated my first translation unit and wanted the programme to memorise it), but couldn't make it, particularly with other concepts, such as "termbase" confusing me further. Other thing is I would like to change the segment (make it a paragraph instead of a single sentence whenever I want) and this is difficult for me in edit mode too.
I know this is probably very basic stuff. But my question is this: when I pay 99 bucks for the web course will I be able to find these things out easily? Or will it be beating around the bush?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Mateusz.
Collapse

Simon Harris
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Nov 2, 2009

What annoys me is that I feel I'm being forced to fork out 99 bucks for something that certainly hasn't impressed me so far (even if it does appear to be the industry standard)

PS. Check out the technical complaints in other threads - OmegaT might not be the bees knees but at least it works and I understand it!

Agnes Blaschke Duchemin
Agnes Blaschke Duchemin  Identity Verified
German to French
did someone have the training session ? Nov 9, 2009

I agree and find the trados tutorials not very helpful.
it seems that the training sessions are "compulsory"
did someone have a training session and did it worth the 99€ ?

Silvia Goldstein
Silvia Goldstein  Identity Verified

Local time: 14:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
A TRADOS Studio 2009 getting started guide Dec 4, 2009

Actually, I took the getting started for translators. When I took it (watching the instructor do everything), it seemed great! however, I am having trouble understanding how to work with the TMs - We "translated" a sample file during the session, but I don't understand how to combine all my memories, (that I need to build still). The point is, it was all good and dandy for one document. What happens when I need to translate another document and want to use the first TM? How do I combine it with ... See more
Actually, I took the getting started for translators. When I took it (watching the instructor do everything), it seemed great! however, I am having trouble understanding how to work with the TMs - We "translated" a sample file during the session, but I don't understand how to combine all my memories, (that I need to build still). The point is, it was all good and dandy for one document. What happens when I need to translate another document and want to use the first TM? How do I combine it with a second one? How do I keep them separate? Do I want to keep them separated?
This is extremely overwhelming.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Using TMs Dec 4, 2009

SilviaK wrote:

Actually, I took the getting started for translators. When I took it (watching the instructor do everything), it seemed great! however, I am having trouble understanding how to work with the TMs - We "translated" a sample file during the session, but I don't understand how to combine all my memories, (that I need to build still). The point is, it was all good and dandy for one document. What happens when I need to translate another document and want to use the first TM? How do I combine it with a second one? How do I keep them separate? Do I want to keep them separated?
This is extremely overwhelming.

Silvia,

Don't worry.

You can use an existing TM with a new document and when you finish, the TM will contain the segments from the new document too. You can also add the segments from an already translated bilingual file to an existing TM which wasn't used for translating the document.

You can also use several TMs in Studio 2009 at the same time (it wasn't possible with previous versions of Trados).

As for organizing TMs, there are different approaches. Some people use one huge "big momma" TM, but it's probably best to keep separate TMs for different clients, subject areas etc. You will figure that out by yourself after a while.

Hynek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A TRADOS 2009 Getting Started Guide?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »