Studio 2009 began exporting incomplete translations to Word
Thread poster: EJZ

EJZ
Local time: 10:18
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2009

Been using SDL Trados Studio 2009 for a couple of weeks and bam! suddenly for no good reason it began generating incomplete target translations in Word. Not every time but quite often. Doesn't matter how you do it: finalize, generate target translation, save target as - you get 10-50% of translation in the target and the rest is the source. Nothing works (restart program, reboot system, kill other apps - tried it all) short of deleting the whole project directory, creating a new one, adding the file again, translating it again (fortunately of course you get CM or 100% matches all the time so its quite automatic), and only then will it generate the target properly. Needless to say it's a disastrous waste of time. Any ideas what's causing this? Wonder if anyone had this problem? I'm considering a complete reinstall of the studio to see if this helps.

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I did have this problem for a week or two Nov 2, 2009

I do not think it is a problem connected with the exporting. At the time that this was happening to me, I kept Word open, and kept exporting after every couple of TUs, and then looking in Word to see if it was still all in the target language up to that point.

The conclusion I eventually came to was that it was always when some technical hitch occurred in a faulty segment of the source text (which I had created from a .pdf using Abbyy Fine Reader), as I did not have the problem with genuine Word documents. Once this technical fault occurred in a TU, all the TUs following it in the same document would be affected, i.e. I would see the target language there on the screen in Studio, but if I exported it to Word the same text was suddenly written in the source language. I did a lot of frantic copying and pasting, but then found out that, if I made a new source document - creating it as from the TU which followed the faulty TU - and added it to the project, this would be OK again. I therefore only needed to manually copy and paste the translation of the one faulty TU itself.

I am not sure if uninstalling and reinstalling did or does solve the problem, as it was a couple of beta testers' versions ago that I had the problem, so I have uninstalled and reinstalled Studio (always thoroughly, down to the last left over registry file) several times since then. The problem has not, however, turned up yet with the current version of the software (the official SP1).

Astrid

EJZ
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right on target Nov 3, 2009

Thanks Astrid, your diagnosis is perfectly accurate - I have realized now that the problem indeed occurs with files converted with Fine Reader from.pdf. I am using the official SP1 version, however I allowed it to install itself without first thoroughly uninstalling the previous version, so this may be why the problem persists under SP1 in my case.

Eryk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 began exporting incomplete translations to Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search