Thread poster: Juan González Pérez

Juan González Pérez
Spain
Local time: 07:48
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 2, 2009

I am translating a batch of .xml files with SDL Trados 2007. I have already worked with this sort of files, together with its corresponding .ini file.

In this case, every file has its own .ini file and there is only one TM for the project. My doubt is: if I load all these .ini files all at the same time, would they interfere with the others and affect the documents' structure/layout?

I have looked for some guidance in Google and in previous forum threads but I was not able to find an answer about interaction between ini files.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Juan

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Can you at all? Nov 3, 2009

Hi Juan,
AFAIK, you can't load all the INI files at the same time. You can only use one INI per TTX file. Any conflicts should be prevented in this way.

Juan González Pérez
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too many .ini files... Nov 3, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your kind reply. My main concern is the all the files have "common" contents and I will probably need to have several files open at the same time when reviewing the translation to implement changes and ensure translation consistency (in fact it is possible loading several .ini files in the only TM existing).

I don't know in which way having several .ini files loaded at the same time could affect (if it does) the files to be translated, i.e., if the open files would only "detect" its specific .ini file or if there would be any kind of conflict with the rest of .ini files for the other files.

Thanks again!

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:48
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I had such projects with several INIs Nov 3, 2009

You just put those INIs into some folder and add all of them in the "Tags Settings..." menu. Then,. when you open a TTX file for translation, it will automatically find and use its corresponding INI.

Juan González Pérez
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Nov 9, 2009

I finally followed Sergei's advice and uploaded all the .ini files, then the TagEditor asked me to select the file to be assigned to each file when opening them.

Thanks again for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Several .ini files & only one TM for a batch of .xml files

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search