Thread poster: Lucas Rayel

Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

Witaj!

I'm just starting using Trados and I'd like to know your opinion: Is it better to have a really huge translation memory with all your work or several translation memories?

As a new use, I'd say that having a huge TM is better cause then you have much more data and don't have to open an engineering TM or marketing TM for their respective kind of translations...

What do you guys think?
Any other tips are welcomedicon_smile.gif

Thank you in advance,

Lucas

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 08:41
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
it depends... Nov 3, 2009

Hello Lucas,

first of all it depends on your clients, I'd say and how you manage your work. I have clients providing me not only with a TM per end client, but also per specific area in the same field of the very same client. I keep separate TMs per client, as a general TM wouldn't be any help, but create some "terminological trouble" (each client hasd different preferences as how to call the same).

You have to evaluate according to your modus operandi if it is better for you to use a general TM, to keep it as a reference TM or not to create it at all.

Giuliana

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Already being discussed Nov 3, 2009

Hi there. Just in case you did not notice, this same question is being discussed these days in another topic.

[Edited at 2009-11-03 06:27 GMT]

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Multiple TMs Nov 3, 2009

With Studio, I normally run my main TM along with any customer-specific TM I might have, setting a five percent penalty on the main TM so that hits in the customer-specific TM will always be prioritized.

Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 TMs at the same time Nov 3, 2009

Oh I see now... Thank you for all the replies!

I didn't know I could run 2 different TMs at the same time... So I guess I can have both general and specific TM being run...

Giuliana: I translate projects for university students, so they don't know anything about Trados or they just think I translate using Wordicon_smile.gif That's not really necessary to have specific TMs... But I'm thinking IF I get to work in some company someday, how it would workicon_smile.gif

Thank you all

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:41
English to French
+ ...
Use attributes Nov 3, 2009

If you use attributes (read the manual to find out about them), then this question need not be asked.

I use attributes for client, subject, project and document. This is very detailed, in fact, detailed enough so I can keep one big momma TM (also used as reference TM for concordance search) and then just export from it the relevant units based on attribute criteria to create a smaller, more relevant TM to use on each project. In other words, if I am working with Client A on Project B with Subject C, I simply take the big momma TM and filter out Clients B and C, Projects A and C and Subjects A and B, and export the rest.

So, the answer to your question is to use both, provided you set up attributes and use them.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
use combined approach Nov 3, 2009

- Keep big TMs where the scope is comprehensive.
- Keep small and very specific TMs.
- Combine them into temporary custom TMs for particular projects.
- Export results either to big a TM or to a small TM which fits best.
- Recycle.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Provided you don't use password-protected TMs... Nov 4, 2009

Hello Lucas,

in my previous posting I forget to mention that a "big mama" (a general TM) can't be used, in case you receive password-protected time-limited TMs from your clients or use server TMs. I admit that it depends on the configuration from the client's side, but sometimes I can't even use the server TM for pre-translating files, which is sometimes a pain, even if I understand the reason behind that setting. This doesn't mean that you can't keep a big mama for yourself, as a reference.

Studio 2009 allows you to add as many TMs as you like, a great step compared to previous versions, which allowed only one reference TM and no automated updating of the reference TM.

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General TM or several TMs?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search