Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
My very own nightmare with SDL Trados 2009!!!
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 01:58
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

Hello,

I just went for the group buy and bought myself a brand new version of SDL Trados Studio 2009...Far was I from imagining all the misfortune my investment would bring me !

I installed the program, had it running and oh surprise SDL Multiterm doesnt' work !!

The support contacted me following a thread I posted on ProZ! After a week of investigation (some times I wasn't available)...They just found out after a remote session that it doesn't work because it installs on D:\Program Files ! Lucky me I'm computer literate enough to change the default settings of my computer to make it install the program on the D:\ and to move the common files there !

The strange thing is that I had the computer for three years, installed Kaspersky, then NOD32, Matlab 2009, WORD, ADOBE ACROBAT...with this configuration ! But who am I to talk ! First thing the program did was screw up my .NET Framework so I had to format ! And there it began !

It was supposed to support Windows 7 so I installed Windows 7 ! And guess what my computer literaly crashed ! I installed XP and I had problems with the drivers on my Acer Aspire 5720Z ! And as a stupid confident customer each time I installed/uninstaled my new Trados !!!

Given all the problems I had and the fact that my hidden installation drive and my Recovery DVDs didn't work properly I litreally fought with the machine to go back to Vista (Now the HD is acting funny !).

Funny thing , well not so funny, is that now I can't activate my software ! And guess what SDL had the nerve to suggest ! To sign a paper basically saying (we can ask you to pay for it, and you'll no longer have the right to a another licence).

Now what infuriates me is that they have the nerve to ask me for money for a software I didn't even use more than one day! Furthermore, they are actually leting the errors in their software slip ! I AM SUPPOSED TO CHANGE MY SETTINGS ! and I AM SUPPOSED TO COMPENSATE THEM ! I paid 500 EUR to have my wordfast licence locked too !!!! As I was installing/reinstalling it too each time !!!

Now my question is did anyone of you get warned about the fact that they have to set everything to C: or else it won't work ? Or did they warn you that the licence is for life but ...they have the right to decide not to take their responsabilities !!! What's more each time it worked my computer had the funny idea to crash !!!

So my question is why do they promise something they can't offer ? And is it really that easy to scam people ?

I'm also wondering if there is some way to get a compensation for all the problems I had ?! Be it via proz or any legal advisor all in all I'm thinking about filing an official complaint !

Did anyone experience something like that ?

Regards,

MoH

Direct link

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Personally Nov 3, 2009

I tend not to use new software (especially OSs) until they are well tested and most bugs fixed. Also, I tend (in most cases) to accept default installation settings.

[Edited at 2009-11-03 09:58 GMT]

Direct link

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:58
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry, but... Nov 3, 2009

Hi Mohamed,
I'm sorry for your experience with Studio, but from what I read from your post, I can see only one originator of your nightmare: your own endeavours to be smarter than the developer.

Lucky me I'm computer literate enough to change the default settings of my computer to make it install the program on the D: and to move the common files there!

Congratulations on this brilliant idea! Has it ever come to your mind that the SDL guys may have "locked" the installation folder option on purpose? You see, just like you I was first very disappointed at the fact that I can't install Studio or MultiTerm 09 into the folder of my choice and I had a friendly exchange of opinions with Paul from SDL on this. And SDL have had very good reasons for locking the installation options. And one of them is preventing problems similar to yours.
I've tried hard to see your post saying "I also tried with the default settings, but to no avail". Can't find anything similar.
If you didn't return the license before reinstalling your OS, it's your fault as well.
As you did NOT follow the installation instructions and tried tinkering with the default settings, I'm afraid you won't be entitled to any compensation whatsoever.

[Upraveno: 2009-11-03 11:16 GMT]

Direct link

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
OT: Even more sorry Nov 3, 2009

I wonder whether it can be useful to discuss the matters raised by the OP when his post is not there anymore (at least not in my browsers)...

[Edited at 2009-11-03 11:41 GMT]

Direct link

Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
sarcasm? Nov 3, 2009

Congratulations on this brilliant idea!

Why do you have to be sarcastic with our fellow translator? This is simply not nice.

Direct link

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Then why not make these reasons public... Nov 3, 2009

or why not state them clearly enough so users can benefit from the reasoning behind them?

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
You see, just like you I was first very disappointed at the fact that I can't install Studio or MultiTerm 09 into the folder of my choice and I had a friendly exchange of opinions with Paul from SDL on this. And SDL have had very good reasons for locking the installation options. And one of them is preventing problems similar to yours.

Direct link

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!+! sarcasm plus arrogance ! Nov 3, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Mohamed,
I'm sorry for your experience with Studio, but from what I read from your post, I can see only one originator of your nightmare: your own endeavours to be smarter than the developer.

Lucky me I'm computer literate enough to change the default settings of my computer to make it install the program on the D: and to move the common files there!

Congratulations on this brilliant idea! Has it ever come to your mind that the SDL guys may have "locked" the installation folder option on purpose? You see, just like you I was first very disappointed at the fact that I can't install Studio or MultiTerm 09 into the folder of my choice and I had a friendly exchange of opinions with Paul from SDL on this. And SDL have had very good reasons for locking the installation options. And one of them is preventing problems similar to yours.
I've tried hard to see your post saying "I also tried with the default settings, but to no avail". Can't find anything similar.
If you didn't return the license before reinstalling your OS, it's your fault as well.
As you did NOT follow the installation instructions and tried tinkering with the default settings, I'm afraid you won't be entitled to any compensation whatsoever.

[Upraveno: 2009-11-03 11:16 GMT]

Well first things first ! I changed some of the registry keys in Windows and Multiterm as any other software went and installed itself on the D: if it can't work in the D: then it shouldn't go there ! Now that you are saying that they locked it I can understand but don't try to justify what can't be.

Per default Common Files and Program Files are in the C: and every program out there which is "locked" as brilliant you seems to understand, doesn't give you the hand on the installation, however it goes to windows and asks it for those files and where they are per default, and then every software that has a decent programmation will use those parameters even MS software ! Now my question is if SDL guys are that smart why did their program install on the D ? Why couldn't it install on the C: as it is locked and end of the story ? I'm not disappointed ! The program is faulty ! You can't expect someone to change it's configuration just for one program ! MSN IS SUPPOSED TO BE "LOCKED" and that's not the term because it's not "locked" it just installs by default in the default file of "Program Files" because it uses the registry ! AND MSN WORKS and a couple of software out there work, let's try legal advise to see what they say on that one anyway...

Secondly, I never used Trados or anything else and when the Tech guy asked me to format I did it right away! It's HIS FAULT for not pointing out that I SHOULD RETURN as I never used the software and didn't get to familiarize myself with it !

If it's locked then why didn't they ask me right away ? Instead of remotely entering my PC saying that it was due to corrupted vista ?

Plus again if you lock an installation it doesn't go there if I change a registry key, I consider that the software is faulty and again consider that I have every right to file a complaint...As they don't seem to want to fix it or to compensate for the damages...

I didn't endeavour to be smarter than the developper, I configured my computer ! And again it's a simple option that Microsoft gives and I can't see why I need to lock my computer entirely for one program that I paid !

It is kind of arrogant to say "that I tried to be smarter" while I have been runing my configuration three years with famous programs as Matlab, ESET NOD 32, MSN, Windows live messenger...I feel that you SDL is being arrogant with its software...What if I install my windows on my D because I use Linux on the C: would I be arrogant because I need this kind of configuration ? Do you know me or Know my needs ? To judge what configuration I need ?

To your "brilliant" mind knwo that I am a researcher/engineer/translator I use over 30 applications and I can't logically use the C: as a root !!!!

And again don't be afraid we'll see what the legal adviser will say...

Regards,

Direct link

PMz
Arrogance??? Nov 3, 2009

I don't think that Stanislav is arrogant - as I can see in his other posts, he is always trying to help other users, he is not from SDL:-), he never wrote that the Studio is the only CAT tool which should be used. I think that he tried to explain his opinion on your issue - which is not arrogant!

I would suggest to read the installation manual first and please don't try to explain how the changing the registry is common practice:-)

Also the situation you described with Linux on c: partition and windows on d: partition is totally different story as for Windows, the d: will be the root partition.

Moderator - I see this as of topic, user doesn't want help:-)

Direct link

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi all, Nov 3, 2009

PMz wrote:

I suppose users post their topics because they want some help. Please do not feel offended if someone offers or tries to offer you a real help, and please do not say anything which may sound offensive to someone. Otherwise, the discussion becomes useless and we will have to lock the thread.

Thank you for this interesting discussion and for your understanding.
Kind regards,
Maya

[Edited at 2009-11-03 16:11 GMT]

Direct link

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL can sell fridges in the North Pole Nov 3, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Honestly SDL's capability of selling a bad design decision as a sound, user-oriented option simply amazes me...

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Count the exclamation marks... Nov 3, 2009

"PMz" (sorry, I just cannot get to terms with calling someone an acronym...) is right:

I don't think that Stanislav is arrogant - as I can see in his other posts, he is always trying to help other users, he is not from SDL:-), he never wrote that the Studio is the only CAT tool which should be used. I think that he tried to explain his opinion on your issue - which is not arrogant!

To call Stanislav arrogant is a classic case of barking up the wrong tree.

Fully agreed - count the exclamation marks...
Venting is an understandable motivation, but not necessarily smart.

Best, Ralf

Direct link

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some explanations Nov 3, 2009

"Congratulations on this brilliant idea!" I feel that this is sarcasm
"your own endeavours to be smarter than the developer." this is judgemental
"Moderator - I see this as of topic, user doesn't want help" I need help as I need a patch...

I posted the topic here because I bought the software in a group buy !

I know there are other tools outhere, but due to the advertizing of Trados I just went for it, and as I paid for it I have to deal with it !

I'm not here to offend anyone I just expressed what I have lived, and for what it is worth I didn't have time to read the manual as it didn't work when I installed it and went directly to support who was using my machine remotely...

"Honestly SDL's capability of selling a bad design decision as a sound, user-oriented option simply amazes me..." this is how I feel !

Direct link

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 3, 2009

he never wrote that the Studio is the only CAT tool which should be used

I never said he said that ! On the other hand I already bought it !

Direct link

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
RE: My very own nightmare with SDL Trados 2009!!! Nov 3, 2009

Hello everyone!
First of all, I’d like to apologize if anybody feels offended with my post. I could have used different words indeed, but on the other hand, I don’t like seeing SDL (Kilgray, Star or WordFast, for that matter) bashing posts whose only purpose is to vent one’s frustrations.
Please let me explain a few things below.

Luca wrote: Why do you have to be sarcastic with our fellow translator? This is simply not nice.

With all due respect, Luca, is it nice to wave accusations at somebody else after having tampered the default software installation settings? I believe this is simply not fair. As regards sarcasm, it is legitimate stylistic means. Have you ever complained about Oscar Wilde's sarcasm?

Laurent wrote: Then why not make these reasons public, or why not state them clearly enough so users can benefit from the reasoning behind them?

Absolutely, Laurent. I’m 100% with you on that.

All quotes below refer to Mohamed’s posts (except for the last one).
I changed some of the registry keys in Windows and Multiterm as any other software went and installed itself on the D: if it can't work in the D: then it shouldn't go there !

If you tamper the default installation settings, the software will go exactly where you tell it to go. It is software, not AI, thus following your orders. If you hadn’t played with the registry, Studio would have installed into the default folder and everything would have been most probably fine.

Now my question is if SDL guys are that smart why did their program install on the D?

Again, because you changed the default installation settings. As simple as that. The developer can’t expect the user to act in this way.

AND MSN WORKS and a couple of software out there work
uote]
You don’t really want to compare Windows Messenger to a complex piece of software such as Trados Studio, do you?

Secondly, I never used Trados or anything else and when the Tech guy asked me to format I did it right away!

First of all, this is sort of inconsistent with your statement from your initial post, where it says "I paid 500 EUR to have my wordfast licence locked too !!!!“. I’m getting quite confused at this point. And do you mean you formatted your hard-drive without thinking about the consequences? Sorry, but IMHO, this is not a very decent way of handling a PC.

It's HIS FAULT for not pointing out that I SHOULD RETURN as I never used the software and didn't get to familiarize myself with it !

What puzzles me is, how you could have lost your license without activating the software? You can only activate it after you have installed it. So have you managed to install it eventually, or not? If not, you couldn’t have lost your license because you couldn’t have even activated it.
Anyway, ignorance of the law (of the EULA in this case) is no excuse. If you kill somebody, do you think you would get away with a simple statement saying "Oh, dear, I didn’t know taking that guy out was illegal"?

If it's locked then why didn't they ask me right away ? Instead of remotely entering my PC saying that it was due to corrupted vista ?

Did you actually tell them what you had done to the registry? The TechSupport guys can't predict or assume; BTW, if you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME (just kidding). They need precise information to resolve users' problems.

I didn't endeavour to be smarter than the developper, I configured my computer ! And again it's a simple option that Microsoft gives and I can't see why I need to lock my computer entirely for one program that I paid !

What option? Do you mean selecting the location where you can install the core components of an application? Yes, that's quite simple. But there are other aspects as well:
If you install to a path that's much longer than the default, the SDL’s excessively long file and directory names will overflow MAXPATH and cause the installer to fail. Also, consider this: How many .NET applications that install largely to the GAC let you change where they are installed? How many Microsoft (or other vendor) installers that install to the SxS cache are letting you change where they go (such as msxml, VC runtimes, and many other 3rd party libraries)? Even if SDL provided such an option, what about the COM objects that go in Common Files? What about the filter framework files in Application data, the application-created files in My Documents, etc.?
You see, there is much more than simply selecting the location to install the application core.

I feel that you SDL is being arrogant with its software...

Rest assured I’m not from SDL and I seriously doubt I’ll ever be.

It is kind of arrogant to say "that I tried to be smarter" while I have been runing my configuration three years with famous programs as Matlab, ESET NOD 32, MSN, Windows live messenger
your "brilliant" mind knwo that I am a researcher/engineer/translator I use over 30 applications and I can't logically use the C: as a root !!!![/quote]
Why not? Could you please elaborate a bit more on that? If I counted the number of applications I use, I would definitely end up with a number much higher than thirty. And believe me, there I use much more than instant messaging and antivirus software. And I still use C as my main drive and I still have my PCs running smoothly. It’s not so much about how many applications you install or where you install them. It’s much more about choosing what to install.
And this is where we are getting to the point: I usually adopt the "try-before-you-buy" approach. If you had done the same, you could have spared us your tens of exclamation marks and ALL CAPS sections (you may know this is regarded as shouting in forums).

And again don't be afraid we'll see what the legal adviser will say...

Indeed. Good luck. I’ll be very interested in the result. But you should think twice before taking legal action, because it will be waste of money. Your chances are less than 1:100,000,000,000.

I need help as I need a patch...

All you need is to follow the installation instructions.

Sorry again Mohamed, but I feel that it is your posts that are a little off-topic, because you don’t ask for help (and this is a help/technical support forum). It is simply meretricious, frustration-venting soliloquy.

PS:
Tomás wrote: Honestly SDL's capability of selling a bad design decision as a sound, user-oriented option simply amazes me...

Tomás, please see my reply following "What option?".

PS 2: Ralf and PMz, thanks for your support. I still believe I am right and it will take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My very own nightmare with SDL Trados 2009!!!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search