Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How to extract data from a corrupt Trados TM?
Thread poster: Ugne Vitkute (X)

Ugne Vitkute (X)  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 05:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

Since I cannot load my main TM because of error 31053 (Resource not found), I was wondering if there is a way to recover/extract/export data from this TM? I use SLD Trados 7.5.0.759. The error occurred after the reorganisation of the TM took so long, I decided to cancel it. Afterwards the TM worked fine, but after I switched on Trados the next day, the TM no longer loaded.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:20
English
Try this... Nov 3, 2009

Hello Ugne,

It looks like your translation memory has become corrupted. The first steps I would recommend would be to try the instructions from the following knowledge base article:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1540&p=1

This will re-create any corrupt TM indexes which could be the cause of the problem.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Nov 3, 2009

This does not help as after I rename the original file and try to open it, I get the same message about error 31053. Apparently, the tmw file itself it corrupt. Has SDL support no way to cure this problem?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL may have some internal tools Nov 3, 2009

Only SDL can repair it (no guarantees), but do not expect a free of charge service. For the future I suggest you to have a copy of your TMs (or TMX export files) to be on the safe side.

It would be easier to recover your TM if you were using SDL Trados Studio 2009.
sdltm files can be opened and edited with external tools.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
This trick might work Nov 3, 2009

Make a copy and play with it.

1. Delet all non-TMW files (i.e. IIX, MDF, MTF, and MWF).
2. Create empty files wit the same name as you TMW file and extensions IIX, MDF, MTF, and MWF. You can do it by creating an empty Notepad file and changing the extension to one of the above.
3. Double-click the TMW-file to launch the TM.
4. It will offer you to re-create the index. Do it.

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the same? Nov 3, 2009

But isn't it the same method just the other way round as here:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1540&p=1

?

I still tried this and with no success. I still get the same error...

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Make a copy and play with it.

1. Delet all non-TMW files (i.e. IIX, MDF, MTF, and MWF).
2. Create empty files wit the same name as you TMW file and extensions IIX, MDF, MTF, and MWF. You can do it by creating an empty Notepad file and changing the extension to one of the above.
3. Double-click the TMW-file to launch the TM.
4. It will offer you to re-create the index. Do it.

[Edited at 2009-11-03 20:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-03 21:43 GMT]

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Trados TMs not safe Nov 4, 2009

This has always been one of my main points of criticism with Trados: it does not automatically make back-ups of your TMs. So especially importing and reorganizing become highly risky actions in the Workbench. It is quite unbelievable that a supposedly professional program treats data safety so lightly. I'm not even sure whether that's any different in Studio. Data safety doesn't seem to be high on their list of priorities, which, to me, makes them amateurs. Mind you, it might be different with Studio.

Wordfast, for example, automatically makes backups of its TMs, so it can be done.

For the future: back up your TM's regularly, preferably daily. Additionally you can export them into another format, so you'll have something to fall back on.

As to this particular case: make sure you copy this TM and give it an additional mark, like "defective" or something like that in the file name.

SDL might be able to extract data from it. You should at least give it a try. I have had a case where not even they could help me, though.

I all else fails and you have never exported the TM, you will have to build it again from your 'uncleaned' documents (the ones with the BAK suffix). That sucks, but it is worth it.

And from now on: backup, backup, backup.

Good luck!

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to SDL Support Nov 4, 2009

I received help from SDL support and I am extremely thankful to them. I had difficulties importing both txt and tmx exports that they provided me with into a new TM but finally with lots of playing I have a good working TM again. I had to use two freeware applications downloadable from the net to sort things out finally, i.e. to clean the export from spaces, errors, duplicates, etc. And then it worked.

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
freeware applications? Nov 4, 2009

Ugne Vitkute wrote:

I had to use two freeware applications downloadable from the net to sort things out finally, i.e. to clean the export from spaces, errors, duplicates, etc. And then it worked.

I would like to learn about these two programs.

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Explain in detail, please Nov 4, 2009

Hello Ugne

For the sake of assisting others who may experience similar troubles and also because I am really curious: please take ten minutes to explain in detail how this problem was solved, what software was used to sort the TMs out and where we can find them.

People search these forums for solutions and they remain available for years. You may even find this useful when you will have nearly forgotten about it and something similar happens again: to your surprise you will find your own posting with the solution again.

So if I understand correctly SDL support could extract the content of a corrupted TM and made it available in tmx format, but you could not import it and had to still do some repairing of your own. How did you know? Did SDL support tell you? Did they contact you because of your posting here? Or did you contact them? Did you know how to contact them? Were there any costs involved?

Thanks in advance!

Ugne Vitkute wrote:

I received help from SDL support and I am extremely thankful to them. I had difficulties importing both txt and tmx exports that they provided me with into a new TM but finally with lots of playing I have a good working TM again. I had to use two freeware applications downloadable from the net to sort things out finally, i.e. to clean the export from spaces, errors, duplicates, etc. And then it worked.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Very interested! Nov 4, 2009

Me too, please!

Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Nov 5, 2009

So if I understand correctly SDL support could extract the content of a corrupted TM and made it available in tmx format, but you could not import it and had to still do some repairing of your own. How did you know? Did SDL support tell you? Did they contact you because of your posting here? Or did you contact them? Did you know how to contact them? Were there any costs involved?

SDL support was kind enough to contact me after my post in this forum (frankly, I was searching ways to contact them but did not find any way to do this as I have no contract with them). They not only extracted the txt and tmx next morning after I uploaded the corrupt TM into their ftp, but also gave lots of useful advice and were very nice in prompt communication. They also provided me with full recovered TM and its extract in Studio format. I am very surprised indeed. And no cost was involved at all!

SDL support recommended to reinstall SDL Trados, I did but this did not help.

So after I kept receiving visual runtime error when trying to import the extract into a new TM, I searched on Google for some tmx fix solutions. I donwloaded TMXValidator and it found one error, which it fixed. Then I downloaded Olifant (Okapi Tools) and with it deleted all doubles, empty, corrupt TUs. That's it.

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX Validator Nov 5, 2009

Ugne Vitkute wrote:

So after I kept receiving visual runtime error when trying to import the extract into a new TM, I searched on Google for some tmx fix solutions. I donwloaded TMXValidator and it found one error, which it fixed. Then I downloaded Olifant (Okapi Tools) and with it deleted all doubles, empty, corrupt TUs. That's it.

All those great tools created by Rodolfo Raya

TMXValidator
XLIFFChecker
SRXEditor
TBXMaker
RTFStyler
JavaPM
CSVTMX Converter
Java Properties Viewer

And of course SwordFish

[Edited at 2009-11-05 11:19 GMT]

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 5, 2009

Ugne Vitkute wrote:

SDL support was kind enough to contact me after my post in this forum (frankly, I was searching ways to contact them but did not find any way to do this as I have no contract with them).

Paul and Gareth do a good job that way. You have to wonder, though: why is it still so difficult to contact support, contract or not?

They not only extracted the txt and tmx next morning after I uploaded the corrupt TM into their ftp, but also gave lots of useful advice and were very nice in prompt communication. They also provided me with full recovered TM and its extract in Studio format. I am very surprised indeed. And no cost was involved at all!

Good for you! But I am a sceptical SOB by nature, so I wonder: why would there be a charge when the corruption happens as a consequence of regular usage of the product? Isn't the unreliable product the real issue here?

So after I kept receiving visual runtime error when trying to import the extract into a new TM, I searched on Google for some tmx fix solutions...

Thanks for those tips!

But again I wonder: so even SDL Support itself could not provide you with a clean TMX? No wonder there was no charge, then. What does that show us about data safety in conjunction with SDL products and services? Draw your own conclusions.

Live long, backup and prosper!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can Support do nothing right? Nov 5, 2009

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

But again I wonder: so even SDL Support itself could not provide you with a clean TMX? No wonder there was no charge, then. What does that show us about data safety in conjunction with SDL products and services? Draw your own conclusions.

Hi Marinus,

I can't let this one rest. I can tell you that the database was corrupt, and this can happen for many reasons, often outside of our control and a good reason to keep backups regularly as you pointed out. I asked a developer to rescue the data for me and he did this as a txt file and then I did the following on my laptop.

1. I created a new TM in Workbench.
2. I imported the txt into this so I now had a tmw
3. For good measure and in case it was helpful I upgraded the tmw to an sdltm and kept the tmx that was created in the process

Now, Ugne tried to do the same thing but seemed to have a problem with doing exactly what I did. Why, I don't know, but fortunately she managed to do something to make this work for her too. I don't think Ugne is worried about investigating why further, and as long as it all works now neither am I.

But I object to your conclusion, and don't see the need for a post like this in the first place. I see ProZ as a technical forum for trying to help users get the best from their software and help them resolve any difficulties they run into. We all know software is not perfect and we are working to improve all the time, but I don't find it particularly helpful to have to do it under fire, even when we may not be to blame.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2009-11-05 21:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract data from a corrupt Trados TM?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search