Is it possible to work with Studio and deliver a project in Xtrans?
Thread poster: Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2009

URGENT please... A client wants that I use Xtrans Editor for translating an huge order. Can I work with Studio and deliver the order in Xtrans? How can I manage the xml files in this case...

A lot of thanks in advance

Anne

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-04 11:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What is XTrans Editor? Nov 3, 2009

Hi Anne,

Forgive me for the ignorant question. It looks to me as though XTrans Editor is a tool for building stylesheets that you can use to transpose xml files into their finished shape. I don't think it is a tool for translation.

So, on this basis I think you can safely use Studio to translate your xml files and then work with XTrans I suppose to tgransform them into whatever your client wants.

Maybe there is a practitioner out there who can elaborate on this more than I; but I think you are talking about two completely seperate processes. First, the translation into another language, and secondly the transformation into a useful document.

Regards

Paul

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xtrans Editor xml Nov 4, 2009

Hi Paul,

many thanks for your answer. Yes, you are right about Xtrans. I copy a little description of the programm: "XTrans is a small free editor for building XSL templates and test their transformation with XML documents.
XTrans is an easy-to-use, reliable, smalland free editor for building XSL templates and test their transformation with XML documents."

and the following features are under http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/WEB-Design/Web-Design-related/XTrans.shtml.

The customer requires this programm and after a lot of tests last afternoon, it seems impossible to work in Trados Studio and to insert the xml file in xtrans so that the translation will be recognized....This is a big problem. I can't imagine to translate without Trados...

I hope, we can find a solution...

Kind regards

Anne

P.S: I would like to send you a screenshot of the programm.

[Modifié le 2009-11-04 07:37 GMT]

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more anb better information about Xtrans Editor Nov 4, 2009

Hi Paul,

the information I found before in Internet was not the exact one. It's about an other programm (similar) with the same name but not the exact one. Now the right information is:

"With XTrans Editor you can edit and translate text information from a CoBASE® database offline. You are able to load an xml file into XTrans that was produced by CoMELION® Publication Manager.
XTrans is a tool to edit and store text and its translations for different product information within CoBASE®. XTrans will be the tool to help the translators to manage their translations. The text will be organized in reasonable batches and sent to the translators together with XTrans application. The editors will use it to open the text batches and translate them.

After translating the text they can print it and have it approved. Finally the approved text batch will be sent back to be stored in the database. It will be checked to establish whether it is complete or whether anything is missing. "

But it's not a programm based on TM. It's impossible to process any memory.

I hope we are going forward

Kind regards

Anne

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
XMLs in Trados Nov 4, 2009

Hi Anne,
XMLs are a bit specific. If you want to translate them in Trados, you will have to create an INI (Trados 863 and earlier) or an SDLFILETYPE (Trados 9 and later) file where you specify how you require Trados to handle the individual tags.

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLFILETYPE Nov 4, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

many thanks too. I am working with Studio. I knew the INI in TR 2007 but where is this function in Studio? I can imagine under Tools, Filetypes but I am still unsure with this function. Can you give help me a little in this matter?

Regards

Anne

United Kingdom
English
XML handling in Studio Nov 4, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

XMLs are a bit specific. If you want to translate them in Trados, you will have to create an INI (Trados 863 and earlier) or an SDLFILETYPE (Trados 9 and later) file where you specify how you require Trados to handle the individual tags.

Hi Anne,

Stanislav is correct in what he says, and this may be the reason for the translated xml file is no longer working in XTrans. Ideally in Studio you would have an xsd file (a schema for xml) to create a new filetype specific to your xml but in the absence of such a file you can use your xml file. The steps to do this are not too difficult.

Tools - Options - FileTypes - New

Then select the XML as the filetype

In the create filetype window give the new filetype a name and then click on Next

Then on the xml settings import page select "Define settings based on INI, XML, XSD or ITS rule file:" and select your xml file.

You will then be taken to the Parser Rules window and these will be populated with all the tags that are specific to your xml. This is why Stanislav said these are a special cae because these tags could be anything at all and are defined by the author of the xml file. The default parser settings will show that all the text within these tags is translatable, so if this is not actually the case you can change the individual tags to be non-translatable by selecting the tag and clicking edit.

You can make a few other changes to make the xml more usable for a translator by selecting formatting for the inline tags for example, but for your purposes to test this you don't have to. So just click on Next and then Finish. This will leave you with a new filetype like this;

Make sure you then click on Ok here before closing the Options Window.

Now try opening your xml and translating it again. I can't be sure this will work 100% because I am not familiar with what XTrans is doing, but you may be handling the translation more accurately.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards

Paul

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Nov 4, 2009

Many, many thanks Paul for your so complete description. I have tried to follow your steps. It has been ok but I couldn't test the result because of a bad manipulation of mine...

I have erased "xml: All XML" under Filetypes and now I can't open the xml file to translate.... I have reinstalled Trados 2009 SP1 but it is neither there neither in recycle bin .... Can you help me an other time.... ?

Kind regards

Anne

United Kingdom
English
Recovering the xml filetype Nov 4, 2009

Hi Anne,

Hopefully you only removed this through the Options in Studio and not by actually removing it from the folder itself? This being the case you should be able to add it back by using the Add button as oppose to New when you created your custom filetype.

It should be this one I think;

C:-Users--Documents-SDL Trados Studio-File Types-GenericXML.sdlfiletype

And if you, or anyone, can help me understand how to make a back slash display in this forum without turning it into a smiley face I would appreciate it

Regards

Paul

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All XML Nov 4, 2009

Oh my god..... So many thanks. All XML ist still there....

I think, we have found the way to work with Trados and X-trans through my Agency.

It seems very complicated at the moment. I'm trying. When it works, I shall write the result in this Forum.

\\\\ I'm trying the black slash. It works directly on my computer. There is no Alt-XXX equivalency but an option may be to customize your keyboard through Word....

A lot of thanks to Paul and to Stanislav too. I have learned a lot with you...

Anne

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
xml.... Nov 4, 2009

Hi Paul,

a last question: can I deliver xml files to my customer after having translated in Studio?

Thanks in advance... an other time....

Anne

United Kingdom
English
Delivering completed files Nov 4, 2009

Hi Anne,

This bit is easy. You can either save the files as target once they are complete, or you can translate them all, or several at a time, and then use the Batch Task "Finalize". This is the same as "Cleanup" in Workbench and it will update memories and create target documents for delivery to your client.

If you have a lot of these files you may want to consider creating a Project for this and merging some or all of the xml files into one. This way you take advantage of many features across all of your files in one go which will help you to get the work completed faster. When you finalize the files will be unmerged automatically.

Let me know if you need help on how to use the merge feature. (I will be at TEKOM tomorrow with everyone else in Germany so may not be very responsive until Friday but Gareth watches this Forum closely and can help if it's urgent.)

Regards

Paul

Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XTrans Editor/Trados Studio solution solution solution... Nov 4, 2009

Hi Paul,

first of all thank you very much for last answer about xml files to deliver. I will study it and it's an answer to other questions I had.

Across the world, we have been all together a lot of people busy with Xtrans Editor and Trados the last 24 hours

Well the process is: (and naturally it works!!!)

. Ini-file from customer in Studio as described by Paul before.
. Open xml.file in Studio for translating.
. I save as sdlxliff file (for my purpose) and as target as xml.
. Open xml-file in Notebook and erase (Ctrl+R) all following tags: and
. Save as xml file
. Open in Xtrans Editor and you have it..... Source language and Target language at the right place....!

Quite engineering....

Have a nice evening

Anne

Oh the tags have disapeared.... "noTrans" and "/noTrans" between < > (v on side)

[Modifié le 2009-11-04 15:39 GMT]

[Modifié le 2009-11-05 04:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to work with Studio and deliver a project in Xtrans?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search