Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
15,4", 1920x1200, Trados 2009 - good idea?
Thread poster: Bjørnar Magnussen

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2009

Since my old laptop is too slow for Trados 2009, I am looking for a new laptop that will be used for running T2009 and Windows 7.

Yesterday I found a really good offer on a Dell Latitude E6500 with LED 15,4" and 1920x1200 resolution (2,3 kg, T9800 processor, backlight keyboard...). Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try before buy.

I really like crisp text, but I worry that such small pixels would make certain things too hard to read. I would like to ask if any of you have tried to run Trados 2009 on a screen with this small pixel size. Did you face any practical problems that you could not get around by by selecting the appropriate font sizes in T2009 (and Windows)?

I did not post this as a hardware topic since I am mainly interested in Trados 2009.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Font size in Studio is adaptable Nov 4, 2009

Hi Bjornar

Sounds like a fast machine.

I had to take a quick look in the display specs of my laptop. This is my current screen resolution: 1366 x 768, which is pretty much ideal on a wide-screen 15.4 inch Acer Timeline. Mind you, you can tweak the font size of the Editor of Studio, so that shouldn't really be a problem.

I had a 14" Latitude D610 with an SXGA+ 1400x1050 screen for a while, which generally made everything so small that I had to manually adjust the settings for various programs (before Studio). I got used to it, but whenever I showed someone something on the screen they always would comment on how small the letters and icons were.

Unless you're into CAD or you're crazy about watching full HD video's on your laptop, there is no real need for that high resolution, though. My laptop has an HDMI socket and when I connect it to my HD tv it shows movies in full HD anyway - so the HDMI socket might be a feature to look out for.

HTH

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Screen size is ok... Nov 4, 2009

but in my experience Dell screen = sh... screen.
I have a Dell Vostro, which I also bought without having tried it before.
Now, after one year I am really dissapointed with the laptop.
To be fair I must admit the performance is still very OK, but the screen is the worsest I ever had. Also the quality of manufacturing (laptop case) is not that good.
Compared to it my very old Sony Vaio 17" and my brand new Vaio VGN-P11Z (8" netbook) are much better manufactured. Looking at a Sony screen is always a pleasure, their laptop screens belong to the best I know.
Put together: I would not buy a Dell laptop again.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
need for high resolution during translation Nov 4, 2009

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Unless you're into CAD or you're crazy about watching full HD video's on your laptop, there is no real need for that high resolution, though.

I think I have a need for big screen real estate (or whatever it is called): I often translate legal/financial documents that contain segments with 100+ words. I like to have three windows open in Trados simultaneously: Editor, term recognition and TM/concordance. Two of these windows contain 100+ words... The term recognition list is also pretty long. Sometimes I even prefer to split TM and concordance.

Then sometimes it is very practical to have a pdf document et.c. open next to Trados.

Higher resolution should make the text crisper, so that it is possible to have all these windows open at the same time on a 15,4".

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Full HD useful Nov 4, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Then sometimes it is very practical to have a pdf document et.c. open next to Trados.

I see what you mean. Full HD allows you to have two full pages right next to one another, which ain't bad.

As to the quality of the screen: I think they are all switching to the LED backlit screens now. Mine has it and it's really bright, bright enough for working in daylight outside even. If it is not an LED backlit screen, you have to look for something called Ultrabright (HP) or Trubrite, in case you expect to be working in brightly lit environments.

I love my Acer Timeline, despite its somewhat cheap finish, for its screen, the NUM pad, 8 hours on a single charge, less than 2 kg, with DVD burner, Windows 7, Wifi N.

Not so great: zero performance in conjunction with any kind of game, so-so keyboard and touchpad and general plasticy feel. Dell is in another league, especially the Latitude.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My configurations Nov 4, 2009

Desktop: Win XP Home, AMD Athlon X2 5500+, 3 GB RAM, Studio 2009 Pro, two 19" screens. Working like a charm.

Laptop 1: Win XP Home, Intel Centrino Duo 2 x 1.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Studio 2009 Freelance, 12" screen, working like a charm.

Laptop 2: Win Vista Home Premium, Intel whatever 2 x 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Studio 2009 Freelance, 19" screen, working like a charm.

Form me it's all about getting used to the different keyboards (I'm a touch-typist). If you can adapt the fonts, you can work almost on anything.

PS: I'd never buy an Acer cheaper than 1,200 Euros. Be very careful about them.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Personally... Nov 4, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Since my old laptop is too slow for Trados 2009, I am looking for a new laptop that will be used for running T2009 and Windows 7.

Yesterday I found a really good offer on a Dell Latitude E6500 with LED 15,4" and 1920x1200 resolution (2,3 kg, T9800 processor, backlight keyboard...). Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try before buy.

I have an old Dell D810 and a Lenovo T61p, both 15'4, 1920 x1200.
Both screens and really sharp.
Attention, the Dell's pointing stick and some Lenovo's keys touch the screen when the lid is closed, after many years the screen quality may be a little bit degraded in these points.

I really like crisp text, but I worry that such small pixels would make certain things too hard to read.

I think the 8 point font may be difficult to read if you stay working for long time with this kind of screen.
The small size sans serif fonts (e.g. Arial) look good but the serif fonts (e.g. Times) may be hard to read, probably you should adapt 'em if necessary, I think 10 or 11 points is OK for massive use (e.g. default Idiom font), for occasional use I can easily stand 8 points.

I would like to ask if any of you have tried to run Trados 2009 on a screen with this small pixel size.

Yes
The 7 point Multiterm viewer font hurts me less then it's carefully preserved import/export filters bugs

Did you face any practical problems that you could not get around by by selecting the appropriate font sizes in T2009 (and Windows)?

I use the default font size.
Attention, it's not my prmiary machine and T2009 is not my primary tool.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-04 09:57 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Dell Nov 4, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

but in my experience Dell screen = sh... screen.
I have a Dell Vostro, which I also bought without having tried it before.
Now, after one year I am really dissapointed with the laptop.
To be fair I must admit the performance is still very OK, but the screen is the worsest I ever had. Also the quality of manufacturing (laptop case) is not that good.

My old Dell's screens (D410 and D810) are still really good but these machines were damn expensive many years ago.
According to some friends and some rumours on the net, the quality of their standard machines has degraded.

Cheers
GG

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds good... Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for addressing my initial question!

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Attention, the Dell's pointing stick and some Lenovo's keys touch the screen when the lid is closed, after many years the screen quality may be a little bit degraded in these points.

I don't worry about that - the laptops we buy today will probably become almost worthless in 2-3 years (with the possible exeption of Thinkpads).

I think the 8 point font may be difficult to read if you stay working for long time with this kind of screen.
The small size sans serif fonts (e.g. Arial) look good but the serif fonts (e.g. Times) may be hard to read, probably you should adapt 'em if necessary, I think 10 or 11 points is OK for massive use (e.g. default Idiom font), for occasional use I can easily stand 8 points.

I can live with that as well...10 points as standard and down to 8 points when the segments get really long, so that I need to show a lot of text simultaneously.

I have an old Dell D810 and a Lenovo T61p

Off topic: I have read a lot of good things about the T61p keyboard. Is it the best laptop keyboard you have ever tried?

French to Polish
+ ...
Lenovo keyboard Nov 4, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

I have an old Dell D810 and a Lenovo T61p

Off topic: I have read a lot of good things about the T61p keyboard. Is it the best laptop keyboard you have ever tried? [/quote]

Yes, probably yes.
I think the Lenovo T/X/W series keyboard is fan-tas-tic.
The only quirk is the numpad, you can't emulate it with Fn.
As a workaround, I use sometmes AutoHotkey scripts.

BTW.
The pointing stick is another point of excellence of these machines.
It's more precise than the touchpad.
The same with duplicated stick/touchpad buttons.

Cheers
GG

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Will need magnifying glasses for that resolution Nov 4, 2009

I have a 17" screen on a HP laptop, but more than 900 points vertically makes no sense no matter how good the screen is. Depends of course on your eye-sight. For 1500 points on a 15 inch screen I would have to install magnifying lenses in front of the screen.

I ordered a 19 inch pivot second screen, but it hasn't yet arrived.

I never would change back to 15 inch laptop again.

Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Screen resolution ist not equal to visible font size Nov 4, 2009

You can set up fonts in your system so, that you can have a very legible display regardless the resolution of your screen.
The bigger the screen and the bigger the resolutuion, the clearer the view.
I'm using a 20" LCD with 1600x1200 pixel, a 17" laptop with 1920x1200 pixel and a mini 8" netbook with 1600x800 pixel.
All screens are high-quality fine-grade LCDs, making working with them a real fun.
Only the Dell laptop (Vostro 1310, 13") has the resolution of 1280x800, but a screen of so bad quality, that I don't like it really.

BTW, my best laptop keyboard is a Logitech DiNovo (single kyboard, not a dekstop)
But I'm not a touch typist.

French to Polish
+ ...
It depends :) Nov 4, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I have a 17" screen on a HP laptop, but more than 900 points vertically makes no sense no matter how good the screen is. Depends of course on your eye-sight.

I often say I'm functionnally blind
I have serious problems with the focus (up to 8+ prism dioptre).
I.e. I choose small screens and big resolutions because I have less problems.
For the same reason I prefer spartan interfaces, the default T2009 GUI is simply overloaded for me, too much clutter.
E.g. I'll never use icons like "Move to the Next/Previous segment", "Confirm segment" etc.
The most beautiful useless example is probably "Help topics"

Cheers
GG

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have ordered it Nov 5, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I'm using a 20" LCD with 1600x1200 pixel, a 17" laptop with 1920x1200 pixel and a mini 8" netbook with 1600x800 pixel.
All screens are high-quality fine-grade LCDs, making working with them a real fun.
Only the Dell laptop (Vostro 1310, 13") has the resolution of 1280x800, but a screen of so bad quality, that I don't like it really.

I decided to order it (http://technikakomputerowa.pl/index.php?page=produkt&idprod=1594&katid=) - if Jerzy can manage 1600x800 on a 8", I should be able to mangage 1920x1200 on a 15,4".

Hopefully Dell is using better screens in Latitude than in Vostro - at least this screen has received positive reviews:)

This shop sell laptops that have been used for display and have small visual defects, but still come with Dell 3 years next business day guarantee. I wish I could get a ThinkPad T500 for with similar spec/price...

French to Polish
+ ...
Enjoy :) Nov 5, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

I decided to order it (http://technikakomputerowa.pl/index.php?page=produkt&idprod=1594&katid=) - if Jerzy can manage 1600x800 on a 8", I should be able to mangage 1920x1200 on a 15,4".[/quote]
Nevertheless, the first time you power on it, the pixel size may be a shock for you

Hopefully Dell is using better screens in Latitude than in Vostro - at least this screen has received positive reviews:)

As I said, the scren of my old Latitude D810 is still better than the crap installed on most new notebooks.

This shop sell laptops that have been used for display and have small visual defects, but still come with Dell 3 years next business day guarantee. I wish I could get a ThinkPad T500 for with similar spec/price...

The Thinkpad T series have no longer 1920x1200 screens, AFAIK.
For T500, the max is 1680x1050, IMO.
The T61p line is called W something now, don't ask me the price...

Enjoy your Dell

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

15,4", 1920x1200, Trados 2009 - good idea?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search