Opening a .ppt in Tag Editor version 7 freelance - help needed
Thread poster: Cecilia Armstrong
Cecilia Armstrong
Local time: 15:08
English to Spanish
Nov 4, 2009

Hi:

I am trying to open a .ppt in Tag Editor version 7 freelance, and regardless of the ppt version, I get the following message:

"This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "plist". A tag setting file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the setting file now?"

If I anwser "Yes" I get the dialog box with the tag files, and the SDL Predifined does not work... Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cecilia.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-04 14:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INI File Nov 4, 2009

Hi Cecilia, open the INI file in the Tag Wizard and add the requested element to it. You should then be able to open the PPT.

Cecilia Armstrong
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
INI file Nov 4, 2009

Hi Stanislav:

Thank you for your answer. Yet, the only INI file I have in Trados is the predefined HTML file, when you say "open the INI file" do your refer to that file? if so, once I open such file, how can I add the element "plist"?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.

Regards,

Cecilia.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
PPT Nov 4, 2009

Hi Cecilia,
are you sure it is a PPT file? I'm not sure if PPT file contains any "root element" definition. Maybe it does, I just don't know.
The HTML INI is not the one you need and I'm afraid there is no INI for PowerPoint files. So, please forget about my previous post.
If you like, please send the file to me and I will try to prepare a TTX for you.

Cecilia Armstrong
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
INI File Nov 4, 2009

Thanks a lot for your offer, but I am afraid I cannot send you the file as it contains confidential information ... if I ever resolve the issue I will definetly let you know.

Thanks a lot!!!

Ricardo Fonseca  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
any luck Sep 15, 2010

Hi,
I'm having the same problem, have you found a solution yet?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Ricardo Fonseca

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Are you sure this is a PowerPoint document? Sep 15, 2010

The error message seems to indicate that you opened an XML file.

To make sure what type of document you have, can you try to open the same .ppt document in PowerPoint and see whether it displays correctly. If it does, try to save the document in another version (e.g. .ppt if it is .pptx or the other way round) and open this file in Tag Editor to see what happens.

Walter

Claire Bennett
France
French to English
For future reference - resolved Nov 14, 2012

I had the same problem and have managed to resolve it. A customer sent me a powerpoint (pptx) document entitled "xxxx.pptx". However, my computer settings hide known extensions, which means that I should not be able to see the "pptx" extension on this file. It turns out that the customer added an extra "pptx" extension to the file name, thus making the file "xxxx.pptx.pptx", which obviously Tag Editor did not recognise and therefore asked me for a plist (ini) file.

The solution, if the reason for your error is the same as mine, is to simply delete the pptx extension in the file name. Hope this is useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a .ppt in Tag Editor version 7 freelance - help needed

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search