Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:34
English to German
+ ...
Nov 4, 2009

Good afternoon,

I use Trados on my desktop computer and some months ago, after purchasing a laptop with Windows Vista, I tried to install it there and it didn't work. At that time, many people had problems with installing Trados on Vista, but now it seems Windows have tackled the problem.

Does that mean that you can install Trados now on Vista, after running all updates?

Kind regards,
Regina

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
German to English
Yes Nov 4, 2009

I'm using Trados 2007 and 2009 on 2 Vista business machines

Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:34
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 4, 2009

Hi Gilian,

thank you for your answer. A colleague of mine does too. It's great it finally works.

I was just wondering if it works on my laptop too. Some months ago, it didn't, so I thought if Vista improved and I just click on all updates, finally Trados might work there too.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Vista has matured into Windows 7 and Trados is still in the process Nov 4, 2009

Regina Freitag wrote:
.. so I thought if Vista improved and I just click on all updates, finally Trados might work there too.

I don't think it ever was a Vista-issue. Trados didn't work very well in conjunction with Word 2007, for which you can blame both Microsoft and SDL and Trados did not work in a 64-bit Windows environment, for which only SDL was to blame, but these problems appear solved.

Anyway, make sure you download the latest versions of Trados, with the latest service pack or patch, depending on what you bought and when.

FrenchPhD
FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:34
French to English
+ ...
Depends on vista version I think Nov 5, 2009

Different Vista packages had different compatibility modes for xp compatible programs, I believe. Therefore the most expensive Vista packages would include a virtual machine capable of running a virtualized xp, running Trados fine. Your version might be Vista light, not having that mode.

In any case, I suggest Win 7 Ultimate, I'm loving it, and it's much faster and more stable than xp. I never installed Vista in my life....
See more
Different Vista packages had different compatibility modes for xp compatible programs, I believe. Therefore the most expensive Vista packages would include a virtual machine capable of running a virtualized xp, running Trados fine. Your version might be Vista light, not having that mode.

In any case, I suggest Win 7 Ultimate, I'm loving it, and it's much faster and more stable than xp. I never installed Vista in my life.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on Windows Vista

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »