Convert Bilingual XML Files to TTX Files or TMX
Thread poster: AvantixG

AvantixG
Local time: 11:11
Nov 4, 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to convert an XML file with both source and target translation unit tags into a Trados TTX file.

I opened the XML file in TagEditor, and saved as a bilingual TTX. Done.

The problem is...

When I clean the TTX file (or the bilingual XML file for that matter) to any TM, nothing is put in the TM, and the "clean" file produced is the same as the original bilingual XML file.

When I open either the bilingual XML file or TTX file in TagEditor, no "Save As Target" option is available.

My goal is to covert this bilingual XML file into a TTX file that I can successfully clean up to my TM. If that can't be done, I'd like to convert these files to a TMX then.

Version: SDL Trados Studio 2009
TagEditor & WorkBench Version: 8.3.0.863

Thanks for the help if so.

Best -

[Edited at 2009-11-04 18:00 GMT]

FarkasAndras
Local time: 17:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"XML file" Nov 4, 2009

XML files come in many flavours... what sort is yours, where does it come from?

I myself would use search and replace to convert it into some importable format (trados txt export format or TMX). You can do this in MS Word, or, if the file is very large, with sed (free unix tool, win version is available). Have a look at the structure of your XML file and that of a txt export and you can probably figure out how to get one from the other.

AvantixG
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply. Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a bilingual XML (XLIFF) file.

The file cannot clean up to the TM, meaning there's no TUs in TM and an export would be pointless.

Any other ideas?

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:11
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It can... Nov 5, 2009

MS Helium can export segments from all/current/selected XLIFF files to the attached TMW.

AvantixG
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 5, 2009

Thanks for the help.

I actually found a way to accomplish what I needed, as I'll describe as follows:

I used Okapi Tools and downloaded an XLIFFToTMX XSL Template and then used Okapi Rainbow Suite to convert the bilingual XML files to TMX. Then, I imported the TMX files into a blank Trados TM and exported as one big TMX file. It worked great!

Thanks.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 15:19 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:11
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
XLIFF is a special type of XML file Nov 5, 2009

AvantixG wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a bilingual XML (XLIFF) file.

The file cannot clean up to the TM, meaning there's no TUs in TM and an export would be pointless.

Any other ideas?

XLIFF is not just any XML file, it is an open standard for a translation format which can be, and actually is used by several CAT tools. See here: http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/xliff-core.html

Unfortunately, TagEditor will not open a XLIFF file the way you would expect. It will grab only the target part of a XLIFF segment and create its own segment from it.

The latest Trados Studio 2009 reportedly can open XLIFF files in a more reasonable way, but a colleage who uses Studio 2009 reports occasional problems with some XLIFF files.

If you just want to create a TMX file from it, you can use Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com). XLIFF is its native file format, and you can use this CAT tool for free for a month. After opening a XLIFF file in it you can use the Tasks menu to:

1) Approve all translations
2) Export file as TMX.

Reportedly the latest build of Apsic Xbench (a free tool) can also open various bilingual file formats (including XLIFF) and save them as TMX, with saving as TMX being its new feature, but I did not check that yet.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

AvantixG
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 5, 2009

Thanks so much for the alternate method and explanation, Pitor. I very much appreciate it.

icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert Bilingual XML Files to TTX Files or TMX

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search