Thread poster: Rebecca Tuckley

Rebecca Tuckley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2009

Has this occurred to anyone...?

I'm trying to translate a Word document in SDL TRADOS Studio 2009. My documentt has placeables in it. When I try to copy these into the target segment, they are always followed by a repeat of the same segment that is a paler purple colour, as if it's been duplicated. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:43
English to Czech
+ ...
Ghost tag Nov 6, 2009

Hi Rebecca,
the pale placeables are ghost tags. These are reminding you that a closing tag is missing after an opening tag. Please search the help for "ghost tag" to learn more.

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:43
Italian to English
+ ...
ghost tags Nov 6, 2009

By placeables do you mean tags? If so, you type the appropriate text between the first tag and the ghost and then right click the ghost and select "restore tag" and the colour will change.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Formatting TAGs vs "usual" placeables Nov 6, 2009

Whilst placeables were treaded individually each in Trados 2007, Studio treats formatting tags always as pairs. When you apply formatting tags, you should select the text, around which the tags are to be placed (similar to applying formatting) and then insert the tags.
This needs some adaptation time and seems to be unconvenient at the beginning, but when you get used to it this new method is in fact easier, as the old one.

Kamil Gałczyński  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (Sep 2017)
German to Polish
Very good idea, indeed... Oct 23, 2011

Big thanks SDL for this "feature". Now I have not only translate, but also insert all tags by hand. Really, very useful option...

[Zmieniono 2011-10-23 12:54 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmm... Oct 24, 2011

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

Big thanks SDL for this "feature". Now I have not only translate, but also insert all tags by hand. Really, very useful option...

As you have to do in any other CAT tool, BTW.
The idea is to use a single shortcut to insert the whole tag pair instead of having to insert all tags (opening and closing ones) individually.

Or do you know any CAT tool that will insert tags exactly where they belong automatically, i.e. without human intervention?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Oct 24, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

Or do you know any CAT tool that will insert tags exactly where they belong automatically, i.e. without human intervention?

Google Translate!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not so sure Oct 24, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

Google Translate!

Absolutely not. Google will strip your text off any formatting, i.e. off any tags that are present.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well.... Oct 25, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

Google Translate!

Absolutely not. Google will strip your text off any formatting, i.e. off any tags that are present.

I don't really use GT very often (only if it's a suitable text), but GT does apply the tags... sometimes it puts some spaces, sometimes it messes them up, but it is fairly reliable...

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Even when changing the word order? Oct 25, 2011

Hi Giovanni,
does GT apply tags correctly even if you change the word order of the source text or even have to split one tag pair into two due to the target-language syntax? I'm pretty sure there will always be some manual work.

What Kamil complained about was the fact that you have to insert tags by hand. What I'm arguing is that this task cannot be fully automated in any CAT tool with the current state of technology. In other words, what I'm saying is that his complaint is nothing else than complaining for the sake of complaining. One could complain about this in any of the other CAT tool forums. That's pretty much all.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What's the best way? Oct 25, 2011

I hope the question is still on topic...

What is the best way, then, to insert tags in Studio? During my trial I've tried all methods described in the topic "How to insert tags" and they all seemed rather ineffcient...

1. Insert Tags from a Source Language Segment

This involves clicking with a mouse and dragging cursor over tags - rather unproductive...

2. Insert Tags from the QuickInsert Toolbar

Not relevant, as only some tags can be inserted this way.

3. Insert Tags Using QuickPlace
and
4. Insert Tags from a QuickPlace Drop-down List

I am not sure what is the difference between the two, if there is one.

My problem with the QuickPlace was that not only the tags were often in the incorrect order (can you configure that?), but also that the relevant one was not selected - I had to hunt down the one I wanted each time, i.e. it took about three-four keypresses to insert each tag.

4. Insert Tags by Copying and Pasting

Mouse clicking and dragging - productivity killer.

What was I doing wrong? I feel that there must be a simple way to fire off the needed tags just as I need them - how to do that? And why isn't it decribed in the manual?

[Edited at 2011-10-25 19:47 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Using QuickPlace Oct 26, 2011

Hi Jaroslaw,
I usually use QuickPlace. I don't know why the tags appeared in incorrect order for you. When I insert one tag pair, next time I open the QuickPlace list, the next tag pair is selected automatically as the first one in the list.

Occasionally, when the source document is not well prepared and contains too many tags, I copy the source to target and overwrite the source-language text, leaving the tags where they are. Unfortunately, this is only rarely the case.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... #2 Oct 26, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Giovanni,
does GT apply tags correctly even if you change the word order of the source text or even have to split one tag pair into two due to the target-language syntax? I'm pretty sure there will always be some manual work.

GT puts the translated text in the target segment and the tags are often correct. If I need to change the order of the sentence, then I work around the parts with the tags if the tags are correct. As I said, I don't use it much, but that's the impression I got.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Oct 26, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Jaroslaw,
I usually use QuickPlace. I don't know why the tags appeared in incorrect order for you. When I insert one tag pair, next time I open the QuickPlace list, the next tag pair is selected automatically as the first one in the list.

Occasionally, when the source document is not well prepared and contains too many tags, I copy the source to target and overwrite the source-language text, leaving the tags where they are. Unfortunately, this is only rarely the case.

this is what I do it too... but - I have to agree with Jabberwock - sometimes the correct tag is not in the drop-down list!

[Edited at 2011-10-26 12:37 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Strange Oct 26, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I do not know why it was not working for me, then... I had to move the cursor with the arrows to get to the correct tag. Oh, well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Placeables in SDL TRADOS Studio 2009

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search